Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About QSL cards,  (Read 1107 times)
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:22:43 PM »

I'm QSL shopping at the moment, and wonder what
PSE QSL_ and TNX QSL_  means?  

Also I remember my old man sending cards sometimes with a dollar bill to cover return postage.  Whats the traditional protocol with QSL's? With and without using one of the bureaus.
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »

please means I would very much like a card back from you, tnx means I got yours here is mine.
It's more like 2 bucks these days. I make my own cards on the computor, they are nothing fancy but thy get the job done. If you like I can sennd you one as an example.
Glen WT0A
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:53:45 PM »

Highest response rate comes from:
Domestic, SASE
DX with or without manager, SAE+$2 (Or IRC), unless the manager is a US manager, in which case SASE will usually do.

Bureau is the best deal, but be prepared to wait 2+ years.

I'd write more, but I wrote a lengthy reply to a very similar question just five days ago:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/139131
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »

Glen WT0A,

Yes, please send it along, robfindlay@robfindlay.org

What software and printing method do you use?

I was thinking of doing the cheapqsls.com thing, but considering i'm going to immedietly apply for my dads call sign under the vanity program as soon as my sequential show up, lord knows when, it might be better to just make the few cards I'll need.

Local 10M, and 2M PSK31 so very few contacts.

Rob  
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 02:30:02 PM »

I do not SASE, nor do I "pay someone to send me a QSL".  My reasoning is as follows; besides being contrary to tradition, when each ham pays his own postage, the cost of the QSL is split equally between both parties, no one pays the whole cost, which, in my opinion is as it should be.  I don't mind sharing the cost of the QSL and I very much enjoy receiving them, but I refuse to be "blackmailed" into paying for someone else's hobby.  If the cost of a QSL and postage is that much of a problem to a person, perhaps they should take up basketweaving or some other less expensive hobby.  I was not invilved in ham radio when this practice reared it's ugly head, so I don't know whether it is just another manifestation of the ME generation or whether it originated with the DXpeditions where a group of people spend thousands of dollars on a trip somewhere, lodging, meals, equipment and all that goes with it; but they won't spend a nickel for the "final COURTESY".  As far as I'm concerned, those people can all take a long walk on a short pier.
73 Tom
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 03:29:38 PM »

Tom, I do, but only because I'm chasing paper at the moment.

When I get the awards I'm looking for "the old-fashioned way" then I'll start using LOTW.  I'll also use the bureau more than I do now.  Right now I only use the bureau to return cards I get from the bureau.

I wish we didn't have to pay DX stations to return cards, but my response rate when I don't throw the green stamps into the envelope says we do.

I wish it weren't so, but it's so.  Since I want something (their card), I'll go along.

It really all depends on what you're after and how bad you want it.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 04:01:38 PM »

Look at it from the DX stations standpoint for a moment. He probably has 3000 cards from Virginia and doesn't really need any more. Why should I expect him to share half the cost of exchanging cards with me? Multiply that by all the stations he works that want cards and it quickly becomes a very expensive hobby.

If cost is an issue, use the bureau. The cost is minimal and eventually (sometimes two years) you get most of the cards.
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »

K0RFD,
I know.  Sometimes you want something bad enough where you will "go the extra mile" even though you know you shouldn't have to.  Been there, done that.  Since I don't chase paper, I can afford to be "arrogant".

AA4PB,
Cost is not the issue affecting my attitude, principle is.  Yes, the DX station has you by the throat (or other parts) but that's (supposedly) not what ham radio is all about.  He doesn't have YOUR card.  THAT;S what it's SUPPOSED to be about.

This could easily lead to a discussion of contesting but I won't go there.  Guess that's why my venture into HF was so short lived.

73 to all, enjoy what you do!  Tom
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »

What strikes me as fair is who answered who's CQ?  If someone answers my request for a contact and I send him a QSL requesting one in return it seems fair that I pay his postage --within reason of course.

Rob
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 06:54:05 PM »

I am a california 6 lander. Once in a while , like in the california QSO party, I can get a run going, for maybe 5 minutes at a time. at my best I can run 800 contacts in a contest. the problem is there are probably more 6's  from california that any other single call in the world. Who needs yet another 6 card in their basket.

now I have a friend Jim, in south cook island, and he gets on quite often. He is a man of modest means, and runs 100 watts into a wire. just about every time he gets on he gets a pile up and  works 25 or 50 people from all over the world most every day.. He really doesn't need  a card from most any one. and if he gets 100 cards a week to return for 1 year, ( a modest pile for dx) and it cost 80 cents for a stamp, that is 80 bucks a weeks for stamps thats $4160 a year for stamps and then roughly 5200 cards, at 55 bucks per thousand  makes it another $250 so just to return cards he is going to spend nearly $4500 . and thats alot from most any bodys pocket. and from most places overseas it costs more than a buck most everywhere to mail a card.

so if I want a card, I don't mind sending $2 and a return address envelope. I am the guy who wants the card.

Alot of folks have to pay for buro cards too. so some folks are direct only, and please put in $ or irc's.

in fact if it is a dxpedition or something I will throw in a couple extra bucks to help defray costs, and I will also put in an extra buck it it is for a QSL manager,to help cover their expenses,  folks who do a great service with little recognition.

tom
W6VDC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »

So folks do send cash?  I thought that that was illegal?
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 01:00:22 AM »

Its not illegal for us to send $.

In some countries, it is illegal to have $.

In some countries, mail is opened, and $ are stolen.

Bob
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 03:19:23 AM »

If you send Yankee Dollars, use one of those envelopes that obscures the contents or fold the bills into a sheet of paper.  And NEVER put a call sign on the envelope - doing so is like waving a flag that says 'look for money inside'!!!

Dennis KG4RUL
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 08:47:54 AM »

N6AJR said "now I have a friend Jim, in south cook island"

I assume you're talking about E51JD, formerly ZK1JD.  I've worked Jim many times.  Can he ever manage a pileup!  If callers don't do EXACTLY what he says, boy does he ever get grumpy with them.  Not grumpy in general, just with liddish behavior.  He simply won't work anyone who is rude and breaks his pileup rules.  He just sends them packing. Fun guy to listen to, and he does QSL.  And I DID send him two greenstamps.  There are a few native hams on Raratonga, lots of temporary vacation calls, but there's only one Jim.  His card was worth having.

I guess that's what I like most about QSL cards.  Every one is connected to a real person.  Electronic QSLing seems as impersonal as bulk email.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 01:12:07 PM »

I agree, Yes I am talking of  That Jim.  nice fellow, and super ham.  He says there are 2 1/2 hams on South Cook, him , and victor who live there and Tom who spends half the year there... .

He does run a nice pile up and is one of my favorite ham friends.  nice guy too.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: