Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 5BTV on 40/75M  (Read 255 times)
KC2PHJ

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2007, 06:51:05 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with these antennas on 40/75M bands? Does it work alright on 75M ? Does the amount of radials effect bandwidth? I'm thinking about getting one of these and wondering about the coverage of the higher bands based on owners experience.

Thanks,

KC2PHJ
KD5PSH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 07:46:41 AM »

I've had a 4BTV for about six months; works like a charm and yes on 40 meters. I used two radials for each band and positioned them opposite each other. The antenna is ground mounted on a ten foot mast and works like a charm; I'm very happy with this low cost, high performance antenna.

K5CO
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:05:18 AM »

In reference to your question about using this antenna on 75, I used one for several years on 75, but the results were about like using 75 with a mobile antenna. For 80 or 75, you are using a Hustler 75 or 80 meter MOBILE resonator, and while it will work, I did not find that it worked that well, especially compared to even a longer length of wire thrown up in a tree and used with a tuner. It will work, but on 75, it is a big compromise. It is also VERY narrow banded. I am not sure the length of radials will have that much effect on the bandwith on 75, since the mobile resonator you have on the top of the antenna is by itself very narrow banded. On 40 meters, I could work the entire band with pretty good results. I had my antenna on the ground with radials for a year, then put it on a tripod on my roof with two tuned radials for each band. On the roof, the antenna seemed to just "light up"...it was fantastic. It was probably 10db better on the roof than on the ground. But 75 was always a compromise.
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »

I had a 5btv at 12' with 2 elevated radials per band. On 75 meters I added a 3rd radial and the bandwidth improved slightly. I think my 2:1 BW was 55kc. Tunning the lenth of the radials also effected the resonant frequency. On 40 meters BW was fine with 2 radials. 73 Don WD8PTB
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 12:11:52 PM »

they do work on 40 and 80.  not so bad on 40 and not so good on 80, but certainly as well or better than a mobile on a tripod.  and at $159 or so they are a inexpensive way to get on HF. I have several other antennas up but still use the 5btv as a spotting antenna and as another antenna when I have several radios on at the same time.
N0RZT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:52:26 AM »

I've been using a 6BTV since January.  Works great on 40m, adequately on 80m.  From Xenia OH (near Dayton) on 80m, I've worked across town, a few states ranging form Indiana to California, and France.  On 40m, I've worked several states, Hawaii, and a handful of European countries.

Chris
N0RZT/8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: