Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Can I find Which Connector Was specified?  (Read 1582 times)
KI4TON

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2007, 09:32:27 AM »

I have an ICOM IC-7000 and and LDG AT-7000.  To properly install this for my application I need to buy or build a longer cable.  The 9-inch cable they provide with the tuner is fine for the desktop, but falls down in my installation. I need to install the tuner as close to the base of a longwire - basically the mast of a sailboat.

To this end I am trying to find the part-number for the Molex connector (male on the cable/female on the radio) that is specified for the  tuner interface cable.

LDG has been unwilling (unable?) to tell me the part number.  I have not been able to find it locally and before I order something I want to make damn sure I order the right part.  (This is taking a lot longer than it should, especially since I was willing to purchase another cable from LDG, but no one ever got back to me on that.)

I asked ICOM - via their "ask us a technical question" website, but haven't gotten anything beyond a "your question is very important to us" answer.

Is this common for LDG customer support?  I was under the impression that they were one of the better tuner companies.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:46:05 AM »

Radio Shack used to sell these, and still may - I'm not sure.  The Radio Shack part numbers are (were) 274-234 for the receptacle, and 274-224 for the plug.  Or you can but the individual pieces from www.mouser.com.  The receptacle is a Mouser/Molex 538-03-09-1042 and the female pins are Mouser/Molex 538-02-09-1104.  The plug is a Mouser/Molex 538-03-09-2042 and the pins are Mouser/Molex 538-02-09-2103.

Phil - AD5X
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:46:15 AM »

Building an extension cable is probably the way to go cost wise. However, if you don't want to build one, contact LDG, and ask them to build one for you in the length you want.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »

LDG = Lifes Dang Good

well until you try like you stated to contact them about service or a question then there well basiclt useless from what i found out aswell.

i have used there tuners and liked most of them but if it messes up or you have questions well it just seems they have the radio shack answer. you know You have questions We dont have answers.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »

The LDG AT-7000 really can't be used for longwires without their balun that they sell for it.  If you use the balun, you can put it at the base of the mast and run your coax from it back to the AT-7000, which can still be with the radio.  Also, the AT-7000 isn't waterproof, so you don't want to leave it out in the elements.

Dwight
KI4TON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »

I would be willing to buy another cable.  LDG is not even interested in selling me a 2nd cable exactly like what came with the tuner.  That wasn't my first choice, but hey, it would give me both connectors, and I want to get this thing installed.

All I really needed was the part number.  The fact that they could not give me that was astounding to me.  This means that no where at LDG is there a parts list.  Now they buy the cables from someone else, but they designed the thing.  They should know what pieces go into it.

LDG's attitude has been "you just don't know what you need."  I have been working (and playing) with electronics and computer technology since 1975.  I may not be up to speed on radio frequency electronics, but they (and you) should not assume I am an idiot just because I am a woman.  I won't even say that you are doing that.  They certainly have been, and so have any number of hams it has been (less than) a pleasure to meet.

ICOM hasn't been much better.  They haven't been insulting, but then they haven't answered my query either.

If I didn't have a real need for long-distance communications I would send the radio/tuner back. All this aggravation is making satellite phones look so much cheaper.

Yes, I do know about baluns, and I said "basically" part of the rigging on the boat.  I actually do have an antenna but going into what and how and why is beside the point. And no I'm not an idiot.  Thanks for answering a question I didn't ask. The only reason I haven't taken the Extra exam is because I figured it would be bad form to actually get my extra license before I had my radio installed and running. (The more I am around hams and ham radio the less interested I am in getting that license.) Since I am around boats a LOT - I live on one - I am also very familiar with what can and cannot be exposed to the marine environment. I know that the AT-7000 is not IPX4 compatible nor IPX7 nor NEMA 6 nor any of the other numerous standards for what can and cannot be safely exposed to the marine environmnet. I also know where I intend to install it and in what case and .... and NONE of this is pertinent to the question I asked.  I also know the whys, wherefores and problems associated with getting a good RF ground on a boat without introducing ground loops.  (It may not seem very apparent given that you are surrounded by salt-water, but getting a good RF ground on a boat is quite a struggle.)

While I realize that many of you "just want to be helpful" after a career in which I always had to FIGHT to make myself heard, or taken seriously, I can honestly say, "thanks, but no thanks."  If I have a question, I will ask it.  If you see me actually doing something wrong, let me know.  DON'T assume that I don't know what I am doing and come to my rescue.  I find that attitude a bit insulting.  (I think I am talking myself out of being involved in amateur radio, so I will stop here.)
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »

I hope your feminist high horse doesn't get you hurt. Your question was answered several replies ago. When you ask a question about ham radio you will get a lot of replies that may not fit your situation but those you ignore.

Chill

Clif
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »

Sounds like you're upset about not being able to find the parts you need (can't blame you there, that drives me nuts, too) but you're letting it color your opinion of the responses that you're getting.  From what I've seen, all of the people here have just tried to be helpful.  Perhaps I'm not very observant but I didn't even know that you were a woman until you mentioned it and, frankly, it makes no difference to me.  If I had more useful information than that already offered, I would give it.  Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics!  I can't tell you how many projects that I've built that take a week or less to actually build, but as much as several months to get together all of the parts that I need/want.  As far as ham radio manufacturers go, in my opinion, they are not known for their desire to be helpful; there's no money in that!  Most "tech. support" people I've spoken with are a joke.  If your question doesn't fit within their narrow little "box" of answers, they're at a loss as to what to say.  More often than not, they'll just keep repeating the same irrelevant gibberish that they tried to pass off to start with.  As long as you mess with electronics you're going to run into this, may as well get used to it.  Best of luck with your project.
Tom
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 03:57:15 PM »

Debra, I don't know how you approached Dwayne, but I have ALWAYS found him helpful. However, I might agree he is sometimes a little brusk in his responses, but that's only because he's a very busy man. Here is what I suggest.

Sit down and write him a well-edited e-mail, explaining exactly what you're trying to do (installation data, antenna, distance to the coupler, etc.), and give him a day or two to think about it, you'll get a well though out response.

This said, if you're trying to load a back stay on a boat, with or without the 1:4 balun, you're going to have problems. I have posed several times how I accomplished this type of install on a cat, but it gets a little complicated if I don't know the rest of the story. My e-mail address is posted on my web site, and I would be happy to help you, but again, I need more info.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »

Hmmmm, sounds like Rosie O'Donnell is now into ham radio and sailboats.
I guess the fact that I have a IC-7000 and an AT-7000 doesn't qualify me to answer your question.  Actually an AH-4 would be better for your purposes.

As to your attitude...try Midol.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 04:25:22 PM »

K3WVU - Hmmmm, sounds like Rosie O'Donnell is now into ham radio and sailboats. I guess the fact that I have a IC-7000 and an AT-7000 doesn't qualify me to answer your question.

You post that and then go so far as to tell someone to take a pill?

Good one...

J C  S

K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 06:21:17 PM »

KA5IPF puked:
"I hope your feminist high horse doesn't get you hurt."

You know, I read and re-read the original question at the top of this thread, and I didn't see a Goddamned thing that even remotely suggested "feminist high horse."

Your mileage may vary, but all I saw was a ham asking about which Molex connector would get an LDG tuner working with his or her radio.  In fact, I didn't even know the gender of the questioner until you raised the issue.

All that's at issue here is whether LDG supports the products they sell.  Nobody should give a rat's ass about who's asking the question.

Of course, maybe KA5IPF frequents the midday/weekday "have I told you lately about my prostate" net, in which case the non-answer provided to the question might make a little sense, at least to persons who are similarly self-absorbed.

And to K3WVU, I didn't hear Rosie O'Donnell in that question at all.  If somebody like me who is named Ralph would have asked the question, would you be bringing up Rosie?

This is a forum for elmering.  At least two of the supposed "answers" that were posted were complete bullshit.

If you have issues with women, that's personal.  If you have actual answers, please post them.

OK, LDG, step up.  Support your products no matter who buys them.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 06:29:59 PM »

hi debraB,

hope this helps you locate the Molex connectors

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/630/1181.pdf

you may have to page foward or backwards to find
the connectors you want.

73 james
N9CYS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »

LDG, get a clue!  As a Marshall Field once said."Give the lady what whe wants!"

YL, there are more trolls on the b-boards than on the air.  Good luck with the install and may the winds always blow fair.

Jim
KI4TON

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »

You see that is exactly the attitude.

If I don't come over all sweet and happy that the men have come to my rescue I need Midol.  If you can't spell it, it's Witch, with a capital "B."

And no, an AH-4 won't suit my purposes better.  An SGC tuner that cost 3 or 4 times as much as the AT-7000 may suit my purposes better.  But I don't care to spend the extra money right now, when I know this will work.

No, I am not trying to load the backstay.  Everyone does that and everyone has problems, not the least because stainless steel 7X19 wire is pretty rotten conductor at radio frequency.  (That's why antennas are copper wire or copper pipe or aluminum extrusions or glass reinforce plastic - fiberglass to you amateurs - with copper conductors and stainless steel hardware.)

I didn't describe the antenna that I have or its installation because, frankly, it is off the point. Actually the fact that I live on a boat is beside the point.  All I was trying to find out was what connector to order form Mouser so I only have to do this once. (Thanks for the info by the way, armed with an actual Radio Shack part number I got more than a "we don't carry anything like that" response from the local RS Cell phone salesman and found it at a local establishment)

I called LDG and asked to BUY a 2nd cable.  So and so will have to get back to you. No response. Today they are "willing to sell" a replacement cable, after I decided I needed to homebrew one.

It says in the AT-7000 manual (and this is an actual quote from the on-line version of the manual) "...but you would need to “homebrew” a longer control cable; LDG does not provide a longer cable."  And the accompanying diagram states that a "molex" plug is needed. (are hypertext links legal on eham?) Now, it has been a while since I home-brewed anything electronic, but I know that Molex makes about 3000 plugs. There are 2 separate series of connectors that could be used.  Since my local RS  is more interested in cell phones than anything and the local electronics supply house is going out of business (or at least not reordering stock) I could not find this plug locally. And I didn't want to have to order it more than once.

Silly me, I thought an engineering company would have an engineering diagram for one of their hottest selling products... somewhere.  I guess working for defense contractors has given me a slightly skewed view of the average engineering company. But then ICOM hasn't responded either, and it should be a trivial matter for them to determine what connector they specified.  It is an ICOM radio after all.

If you were or were not aware of the fact that I am a woman, that is - also - beside the point. Assuming that I am an idiot, don't know about electronics, radios, satellites, antennas, impedance matching networks, power supplies, whatever  when you don't know me is insulting - male or female. Comparing me to Rosie O'Donnell and telling me to take Midol is sophomoric.

[and in my previous rant, that should be NMEA 6 - National Marine Electronics Association. It is only pronounced "neema."]
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: