Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New TH-D7A and USB - need some help  (Read 1975 times)
GEEKNJ

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »

I'm a new ham and got my call sign just yesterday. Two weeks ago a purchased a TH-D7A(G). This evening, I even hooked up my Garmin GPS using another cable I purchased and was doing APRS, getting lots of various incoming info and broadcasting my station. I'm guessing that's typically more problematic then the easier version of connecting things that I'm having an issue with.

I use a notebook and don't have a serial port so I figured instead of getting a serial cable for the unit and adding on a serial-to-usb adapter, I'd get a USB version of the cable off eBay.

I have the cable and the driver and everything is recognized in WinXP. I tried having the USB connection on COM2 and COM6 but get the same results on both. I have the com port set for 9600/n/8/1 with XON/XOFF for the flow. I think that's correct.

I have the unit set for TNC Packet in the display and have tried both Kenwood's MCP-D7G and Link700. Link 700 has terminal mode which I can press the connect button to and type something in, but just jibberish comes back. In trying to download from the unit using either program, I get a communications error.

Any obvious ideas to check on the PC or on the unit to make sure it's setup properly?

Thanks in advance!
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:17:01 PM »

Try using Hyperterminal. Just make up a direct to com(x) connection using 9600-n-8-1 settings. When hyperterm shows connected in the lower right hand part of the screen, just hit the enter key once or twice. You should get a CMD: prompt. To see received packets, type TRACE. You should start seeing all the APRS data in your area (assuming you are on 144.39). In order to use the PC, I think you need to be in packet mode, but I'm not sure (haven't ever tried real packet on the D7, only the d700).

Make sure you set up the correct baudrate in the program you are trying to use, not just in the serial port control panel applet (these are just default settings and are usually ignored by programs).
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:14:42 PM »

Don't know which Garmin you have but most default to 4800,N,8,1 with no flow control.
NR1X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:24:38 PM »

not sure i can help but i use hyper terminal connectionis 9600-n-8-1 flow controlis none.. ocne you get that turn on tnc packet mode you should at this point see alot of data on the screen..if you do then your on the air..there is a command list in your kenwood owners manual..also read the packett section of the book..have fun with it i love my d7 a great little ht. might try a local ham club for others in your area also alot of packet bbs's for ARES.... BOTTOM LINE: Dont give up.. your well on your way and have fun...   73s    KB1NRB
GEEKNJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 11:53:47 AM »

I just wanted to follow up on this. Spent way too much time trying to get the USB version of the cable to work (purchased off eBay). Ordered a standard serial version of the cable and it works fine. Purchased it from WE6G who sells cables on eBay. It's the 2nd cable I've purchased from him. The other was a GPS cable. Mike (WE6G) is a terrific eBay seller.

My notebook doesn't have serial but my dock does so it's inconvenient. I might look at a PCMCIA RS-232 card so I can have access when I travel.

But thanks for all the responses. I've been reading up on APRS, Voice-Alert, Repeater info, etc. It's really neat.

David
KC2SAU
KE7AXC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »

Operating RS-232 through USB adapters seems to be a sporty proposition.  Some adapters work, but a lot don't.  Before shelling out the money for a PCMCIA card, you might see if someone can suggest a USB adapter that they know works - I'd search the Yahoo group(s) for the TH-D7A.  Adapters that work with one device don't necessarily work with another, so unless you want to trial and error it, its best to get specific recommendations.
N2JAC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »

I've had trouble with usb to serial adapters also, so I did go with a PCMCIA serial card that works great with my d7. Mine is a Socket brand. Good luck.

N2JAC
N0VLR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »

David, i saw your posting on eham, i have the same USB cable (uses COM11) and i get gibberish as well.

did you ever find a solution for this or did you abandon it altogether?

TNX

Paul, N0VLR
WA2BFW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »

Here's a few tips for using USB to serial adapters on PC's with ham equipment.
1.Before connecting or installing the adapter, make sure you already have all of your other regularly used USB ports connected to their hardware. DON'T use the same port for both the RS-232/USB adapter AND something else (if you can help it) Also make sure that you've enabled any existing COM ports in your BIOS setup. Be aware that IR (infraRed ports, and Bluetooth ports may also be seen as "COM" Ports
2.Be sure to follow the adapter installation instructions IN ORDER! Be sure not to connect the adapter until told to do so.
3.Be sure to load any software drivers that come with the adapter.
4.AFTER loading the drivers and connecting the adapter check their installation and configuration in System Hardware.
5.Make note of the "new" COM Port shown in your System Hardware page and configure it to match the device it will be connecting to, baud/# data bits/parity/# stop bits. (eg. 9600,N,8,1) and type of handshaking or "flow control".  I suggest using XON/XOFF for this setting.
6. You can check your COM port configuration by using any terminal program set to the same settings, and connecting a jumper between pins 2&3 on the RS-232 side.  If everything is ok, you should see characters that you type, echoed back onscreen.
7.If everything works, hook up your hardware and have at i!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: