Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec Corsair II QSK Question  (Read 504 times)
N9SKN

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »

Hello,

I have been looking into upgrading my station and considering (and researching) the TT Corsair II as I am only a CW / QRP guy. I was also thinking of building a K2, as until a recent TT Delta purchase, I have only been on the air with a pair of modified Oak Hills Research rigs. BUT menus on the modern rigs take away from the 'magic of radio' for me, so I am looking at the older rigs.

My question specifically is the Corsair II SOLID STATE QSK? If it had an accessory relay thats one thing I can take care of, but I can not find out online anywhere if it is solid state QSK.

I enjoy my Delta and think Ten Tec has got me, but I think the Delta is not solid state QSK as after silencing the accessory relay with cardboard I still have a reed relay hammering away on the low pass filter board. I just don't don't like to listen to it after operating my QRP solid state rigs.

Will the Corsair II be noisy as well?

Thanks
W7TEA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »

You might check the yahoo Ten tec group (http:/groups.yahoo.com/group/TenTec) or just give Paul a call at Ten Tec service.  

Gary W7TEA
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »

I agree, call the folks at TenTec, they will answer your questions and may possibkly have a nice rig for you too. I have had a corsair II and was happy with it, but I don't work much cw so I don't remember.  they can also sometimes let you mak 4 equal payments on the radio, I don't know what the conditions are though
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:10:07 PM »

That I know of, none of Ten Tec radios and/or amplifiers have 'solid state' QSK. Solid state normally means PIN diode switching for the T/R switch. All of Ten Tec radios use very small reed relays for QSK, but don't be concerned about noise because to hear their reed relays, you must actually put your ear on top of the radio.
The 'noisy' relay you have heard about is the relay used for keying non-Ten Tec amplifiers. They do clatter a lot, so most folks just put a paper match stem in between the relay contacts.
I do a lot of high speed CW and the Corsair II is one of the two very best at full QSK and high speed CW, ever on the market. As more modern radios are designed with more digital components, high speed full-QSK will become a thing of the past.

Tom - W4BQF
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 04:10:01 AM »

Not all the new rigs are menu driven.  But, since your main interest is CW, the Elecraft and Ten Tec products should be your first choice... either new or used!
I know a lot of good rigs were traded-in when the Orion II and the K3 were introduced!

-Mike.
KB4EMF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:22:25 PM »

I have a Corsair II.

Here is what they say as a description of the low pass filter board.

"The final amplifier is disconnected from the antenna circuit during receive by relay K1.  Switching of the receive antenna is performed by switch Q1 and diodes D1 and D2.......... PIN diodes D1 and D2 connect the antenna to the receiver input when receiving, and are back biased by a voltage ......"

So it's a hybrid of relay and diode switching.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: