Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Longwave/Medium wave Receiver Transceiver?  (Read 1148 times)
FOXBAT426

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »

In addition to the ham bands, i'm a sucker for good MW and LW performance in my transceivers - i would like to know what transceivers on the market are sensitive down in this range in the AM BCB and LW NDB band. has anyone done any good comparisons on transcievers down in this range - i love my paragon II, but it can't stand up to my R75 general coverage receiver down here (i.e. below 1 mhz) - i've been told that many transceiver are attenuated down in this range. has anyone found a tranceiver that is exceptional in this area? TIA, john
WA2JJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:10:27 PM »

For RX,,,,DRAKE R-7A.
W5ONV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »

My old Zenith Transoceanic R-3000 is the best that I have ever heard or used for thoes lower freqs.If you ever find one,buy it.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:04:04 PM »

Every transceiver I have connected to an antenna has the noise floor rise by at least 20 dB. This means your transceiver is not the limiting fact in SW, MW and LW sensitivity. The antenna and its placement is rising the noise floor not your radio. The best radio on earth cannot change the signal to noise ratio your antenna presents to your radio input terminals.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:22:40 AM »

Why a tranceiver? The best low band radio I ever used was a MacKay super-regenerative. A little tetchy about breaking into oscillation at times, but it beat the heck out of the superhets on 600 Meters and down.

If you can find one,it would be well worth the trouble of building a battery eliminator and putting it back in top shape.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 04:45:26 AM »

They will all work in this range with a good antenna, and the antenna is always a compromise at those frequencies!
Filters help, so are you trying to listen to AM, SSB, CW, or some other signal?  The bandwidth of the filter will help determine the noise level you hear!

-Mike.
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »

It's hard to beat the R-390A.  All those gears, the orange glow from the tubes-seriously, the R390A's performance is still hard to beat.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 01:55:12 PM »

The R-390 was, and is, a wonderful receiver. But it stops at 500 kc, or kHz, or 600 Meters. Whichever you prefer.

I am afraid that as wonderful as it is it's not a beacon chaser, nor a lowfer receiver.  

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
N1EQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 03:13:20 PM »

FWIW, I have an IC-R75, TS-2000 & TS-870. Out of curiousity, I just tuned in "Europe 1" on 183-KHz. I tested each rig with my 160-meter dipole. The signal is quite readable on the TS-870 & IC-R75, but not even detectable on the TS-2000.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »

John-

I've used an Icom IC746 (original, not pro), IC706MK2G, Kenwood TS430S, and a Kenwood TS2000X. Using the same antennas (80 meter dipole and B&W folded dipole)neither of the Icoms ever heard anything below AM broadcast band. Both Kenwoods heard lot's of NDB's. The TS-2000X has a fantastic noise blanker- often times I hear nothing but power line noise, hitting the noise blanker brings out stuff like magic (I have the noise blanker set to 8 or 9). The noise blanker also works great for copying NAVTEX around 500 Khz. Just the other day I was copying an NDB in Puerto Rico (I live in New England).

My favorite think about the TS-2000 is the AM fidelity. With an extrnal speaker, broadcast AM sounds very good. If you get a chance, try playing around with one at a dealer's showroom, like HRO.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »

Pete,
your're right, my mistake. It's been a while since I had the old monster powered up.
AD5VM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 11:28:41 PM »

Forget about searching for the perfect rig, just find one that lets you utilize the preamps and DSP on those lower freqs. (these features are disabled on some radios down below 160 meters) Once you've done that build a specialized antenna system for those bands. Long wire on the ground connected to an MFJ-1020C or Wellbrook ALA-100 etc... Get a BCB notch filter from Par electronics or ICE radio products for when you want to hear the NDB's. Another option for the LF band is to get one of those converters from Palomar engineers. I think they are $100.  

I'm putting together a sytem for just such a thing right now.

1000ft wire directly on the ground to an ICE beverage matching unit, then to a Quantum Phaser from dxtools.com, the other side of the phaser will be connected to an MFJ-1020C which will have a tuned loop as an element. The output of the phaser will go to a Palstar MW550P and then to my rig. Elaborate and overly complex? Probably... but just think of all the knobs I'll be able to turn!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: