Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plasma TV RFI  (Read 271 times)
W6MY

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »

What are the realities of HF RFI with the latest generation of Plasma TV?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:07:31 PM »

Not at my house. I have two plasmas; one a 42 Hitachi, and a new Runco 55, and no RFI.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:09:57 PM »

TVI from a plasma is a definite possibility. I would take an all band portable, an Eton, Grundig, or similar, to the store and take a listen before I whipped out a credit card.

And yes, I would put it on plastic, because the threat of  a chargeback for an unsatisfactory unit will usually make the most reluctant merchant send the truck to pick it up.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 04:13:20 AM »

For all electronics there is potential for RFI.  But, there are now minimum standards that never existed before, so there is hope!
Yes, I would listen for interference... at least on my favorite bands, before purchasing!  But, you will probably be OK with todays sets.

-Mike.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 05:50:47 AM »

I have a 4-year-old Pioneer 50" plasma and have no RFI problems with it.

Phil - AD5X
HA6SST

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »

A friend of mine has reduced RFI from flat panel sets by completely wrapping them in several layers of aluminum foil and then grounding the foil to multiple earth spikes. The only downside is that picture quality is affected and the remote control may no longer work*.

The original plasma TV sets were horrible RFI sources and some hams have reported S9 plus noise as soon as their neighbor turned on his plasma set. Things MAY have improved with plasma TVs but the good news is that most flat panel TV screens are now LCD which produces much less RFI.

HA6SST

*Don't try this at home!!
W8RPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 01:40:37 PM »

Only a ham would do that!!  LOL

"A friend of mine has reduced RFI from flat panel sets by completely wrapping them in several layers of aluminum foil and then grounding the foil to multiple earth spikes. The only downside is that picture quality is affected and the remote control may no longer work*."

I have no RFI from my plasma at all.  Hmmm, although I may wrap it in foil for the holidays!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: