Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiral bound paper logbook  (Read 596 times)
WA7CS

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2007, 10:15:01 AM »

I'm one of those old guys that still uses a paper logbook- even though I also do computer logging as well.

Besides the traditional ARRL Station Log, do any of you folks know of commercially available sprial bound logbooks?

Hurry up - I'm down to my last few pages!
Carl
WA7CS

PS:  SKN is almost here - Listen for me and the dusty Drake Twins.

NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 10:39:02 AM »

Carl, Our local Radio Shack sells the paper log books. I was in there the other day and the owner who is a friend of mine gave me one. I can pick you one up on Wed. if you would like. Just let me know,  bruce / NU0R
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »

Do you have access to a computer scanner? Scan one of the pages and save it in a Microsoft Excel file.  Just a suggestion.
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:10:15 PM »

I forgot to mention you can get a three hole punch for just a few dollars and punch the pages yourself.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »

Part 97.113.log.book states you can no longer use paper log books.  They must be computerized, and backed up offsite for recovery in case of a disaster.

:-)

Just joking.

Of course, logging isn't even a requirement.

I also keep "paper" logs using the ARRL spiral-bound books, as I have for 42 years now, and I have all 357 of them, going back to log #1.  

This is inefficient as hell, and I use a computer for contest logging, but for general operating, it's an old habit and I like it.  I can go back to my early logs and see what my handwriting looked like when I was 13 years old.  Computer logs won't let you do that.

I still buy the ARRL books.  They're a lot more expensive than the fifty cents each they used to be...

WB2WIK/6
WA7CS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »

Yes, the ARRL logbooks are a bit much these days - especially when shipping is added in. I seem to recall seeing some customized logbooks for sale on the net - wish I could find them again.

Perhaps the FCC ban on paper logs put them out of business!

I've got a stack of ARRL logbooks myself, along with a couple of old Drake, Johnson, and Radio Shack logs -all filled out.

A spiral bound logbook is the best. I have made up my own using an Excel spreadheet and put them into a small three-ring binder. However, a three ring binder takes up twice as much of my valuable desktop real estate.
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »

Steve you rascal, you got me on that one. And here I have been keeping paper logs on SSB and CW. HI HI  Bruce
HA6SST

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 03:00:31 AM »

Half an hour with Open Office then off to the copy shop. They printed fifty double-sided sheets then bound them for me between some card covers.

If you want a copy of the speadsheet I used then email me at edwardalmos(at)gmail(dot)com

HA6SST
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 05:13:55 AM »

Interestingly...
I have a copy of the 1927 ARRL Handbook, and logs were not required, but were recommended... and with loose-leaf pages.
At sometime, logs became required both commercialy and for amateurs (USA)... with the requirement of non-removable pages and entered with either blue or black ink! (The reason for spiral binding!)
Then, logs became optional again... at least for amateurs!
Talk about going full circle!
Considering the above, I would now opt for a loose-leaf binder to keep my HF log.  You can keep more and better notes that way!
The spiral binders are still available.  So is Excel!
Just hit print!
73s

-Mike.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:56:22 AM »

I created what amounts to be an exact duplicate of the ARRL page format with a spreadsheet, converted it to PDF and print it out on nice stock with a laser printer, then 3 hole punch it.  I keep the most recent pages in the tabletop log/reference binder, then migrate the oldest ones to a binder on the shelf.  I only print one side, leaving the back side of the previous page for notes, scratchings, etc, which are interesting to look back on themselves.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »

Logging?

Doesn't logging endanger the Spotted Owl?  

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »

Clark's been dippin' that big ole cinnamon roll in the egg nog again!  ;o)

Terry, WØFM
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »

I've been using the FISTS log from:

http://www.fists.org/FISTSlog.pdf

I copy as needed, 3-hole punch & stick it in a loose-leaf binder.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: