Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T/R Switching For DX-60A w/HG-10  (Read 343 times)
WA6BHX

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

I may not have thought this through enough; but, I have recently acquired a DX-60B and HG-10 vfo and am trying to set up T/R switching. However, I find that the external 110 volt relay access is within the same accessory plug that the HG-10 uses. Other than bypassing the vfo plug is there another way to set up decent T/R switching? I will be using the DX-60 HG-10 combination with a Drake 2B receiver. Thank you in advance.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »

The 110 VAC switched is for an external TX/RX relay.  I don't see what problem you think you have.  You just connect wires to the two pins of the octal plug and use them to activate a 110 volt AC relay.  If fact you could power a small transformer and use other voltages for the relay such as 6.3 VAC, 12.6 VAC or 24 VAC in other words whatever ever relay and transformer pair you have.
Allen
WA6BHX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »

I appreciate the information. Maybe I need to make myself a little clearer. As I see it the octal socket in back of the DX-60a is being used by the HG-10 vfo. This same socket supplies the 110 for the relay. It's a matter of physically accessing the 110 source from the accessory socket for the relay. I could make some adaptations; but, I was hoping that there might be a "non-invasive" way to solve this problem. Thanks again.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »

If the plug was anything like the one I had way back when on my DX-60 the shell came off, and you could just solder another set of wires on the pins.  Alternatively, if you could find a male/female set of those sockets, you could make a jumper that extended the VFO connection out of the transmitter and "Y" your relay connection off of that.  Or just solder some wire directly inside the rig and run it out of a ventilation hole.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »

I did (back then with the DX-60) what everybody did, that was to just add the relay coil keying wires to the HG-10 VFO plug and bring them out the back of that same plug.  It takes popping the back of the octal plug off (twist of a flat bladed screwdriver) and soldering wires to those two pins.

About a 60 second job...

WB2WIK/6
WA6BHX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »

That's great information. It's exactly what I needed to hear. I'll do as suggested. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: