Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signal Report on HF - 5 9 100?  (Read 604 times)
KG4KLV

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »

While making contacts on HF, I was given a signal report of "five nine one-hundred."  I understand the "five nine" part, but what does the "one-hundred" part mean?

What alternatives might there have been?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

If it was this weekend, it was probably a count number for yet another contest.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

The ARRL SSB DX contest is on this weekend and the DX stations must give you there output power. Therefore the station that you worked was running 100 watts out. A lot of them would say "K" meaning Kilowatt.
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:08:15 PM »

It is the power level.

eg...

59 kilo

He reads you 59 and he is transmitting a kilowatt

59 500

Your signal is 59 he is using 500 watts

59 100

Your signal is 59 he is using 100 watts
KG4KLV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 03:08:40 PM »

Yes, it was this weekend. I wonder why everyone would say "one hundred" and not increment the number if it was some kind of count? I obviously don't even understand what you mean by "count"  Sorry!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:29:50 PM »

Everyone doesn't say "100."  They say "100" if that's their power level, and that wouldn't increment.

Only the DX stations (which include AK, HI, PR, USVI, Guam and other U.S. territories) send that.  American stations just send a report and their state.

I worked a couple of African stations this morning who sent "59 Five," meaning five Watts!

Who said there's no propagation?

:-)

It's amazing how much "propagation" is created by a contest.  15m was jam-packed this morning, when most times there's nobody there...

WB2WIK/6
ONLYON6METERS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »

hf is filled with contests-galore it seems at times.  maybe too many, sometimes.  what he meant by 'count' was the contact #-1st, 2nd, 10th, 590th, etc.  however, as was posted before your last post, this contest requires DX stations(stations other then in the continental 48 US states or canada) to give YOUR signal report and THEIR power output(5-9 100 meant YOUR signal was 5-9 and HIS output was 100 watts). in return, he needs HIS signal report from YOU and YOUR state.  
i just like to see 'where' i can 'get' to, and a long QSO isn't always on my mind, so i don't mind 'giving' contesters points while 'seeing where i can get to'.  being as there may be just too many contests at times, it pays to listen a bit & eventually you can figure out what is required.  hyper-sounding stations calling CQ every 3 seconds are not likely to be happy being interrupted by a question, so if you listen up to a calm-sounding station that is getting little if any replies to his CQ's, you can ask what is required for this particular contest & you are more likely to get an answer.  as an example of 'hyper & rude', listening today i heard MORE then a few guys SCREAM back to calls for them that this is 'an international contest & if you are in the US or canada STOP calling me!!!!!'.
ah yes, almost wants me to take my cb out of the closet again......
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »

Look on the side bar menu here on eHam.  See the category titled Operating?  See the submenu titled Contesting?
Click on that.  Look down on that page and you'll see the contests scheduled for this weekend.  Do a Google search on the name of the contest and you'll get to the contest sponsor's website and look around and find the contest rules and regulations for that contest.  Look for the contest exchange and you'll get your information.  If this happens in the future and you're stumped, always check to see if there's a contest going on.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »

In contests all signal reports are 59 on phone, 599 or 5nn on CW (except for the odd ham who actually gives a real signal report and throws things for a loop).  The other numbers depend on the contest.  Sometimes it is your zone, contact number, year you were first licensed, state, ARRL section, etc.  The sponsor has full info, look at ARRL Contest Corner, CQ magazine, or eHam, etc.
Allen
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 07:26:23 AM »

ka5n...  
you hititon the head.

I haerd a guy on 15 sunday trying to determin if a call was  wb4  or wv4...
tok him about 3 minutes to get it right.
allthe time giving  59 reports.

D.U.M.  dumb.. signal could not have been better than  35..
 I think local broadcast stations are the only  59 signal you will ever hear.

I thin most signals on the ham bands are no better than  4 and 6.
And I give truthful  reports.
 And I will ask why  I need to repeat if my signal is  59..
Just plain  STOOOPID.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: