Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Frequency In Use" Monitors  (Read 546 times)
N6NKN

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »

I wonder what your suggestions are for dealing with "frequency monitors" that sit 3Khz above and below 7.185 and announce to anyone that asks that the frequency is in use. Even if it clearly has been vacant for 20 or 30 minutes.

Rick N6NKN
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »

Forty meters is a hard band to clam special propagation like the higher bands where you might not hear who they are talking to. At least from Colorado I can hear everyone in the lower 48 using a frequency on 40 meters.

•   Ask them for their call?
•   Ask them who they are talking to?
•   Ask them if they are in a QSO?

If this frequency is the only open spot on the band then if no one transmits after 20 minuets then just call CQ and get on with it. You have given the frequency proper diligence.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:42:06 AM »

"Is the frequecy in use?" is a poor question... since the frequency is always in use!  Propagation varies because the earth rotates, not because the "bands change"!
People tend to forget that!
73s.

-Mike.
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:09:43 AM »

If you ask, and are told the frequency is in use, then you need to move on.

How many times have you listened around and heard HALF of a conversation, quite often I'll wager.

That is the reason for asking.
KA3CTQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:35:03 AM »

That part of 40M is where a couple net meet. You may be only able to hear three or four members of the net, but they may be 50 ops signed it. You may not be able to hear the net control, but they are there.

I have been on a couple nets where I have only listened for up to 45 minutes. This happend with a large number of check ins.
TOYBOX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 04:43:06 AM »

Quote: How many times have you listened around and heard HALF of a conversation, quite often I'll wager."

Sure. But after about 10 minutes of silence, it is pretty safe to assume the chap is talking to no one and is holding the frequency, or attempting to, for his daily sked.

Craig N4CQR
Berea, KY USA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: