Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDG autotuners >>>>>>  (Read 441 times)
NU0R

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »

I have been giving some thought into perhaps picking up an autotuner. I would use the tuner to tune a center fed doublet cut for 80 meters and fed with 300 ohm ladder line. I would use the antenna to gain access to the WARC bands and perhaps 60 meters. I have a very nice home brew tuner probably in the KW range. It has a roller inductor, but unfortunately the inductor is not metered so it is kind of like rediscovering the wheel every time you change bands. Also it does not have a built in 4 to 1 balun for ladder line usage. That is why I am considering the autotuner. I want to be able to hit the tune button and get a decent SWR quickly.----- So here is my question. LDG makes several autotuners and the 4 to 1 balun to make them usable on ladder line. I have been looking at the Z-100 autotuner. I am on a limited income and so price is always a consideration for me. ---- Is the Z-100 capable of doing what I want it to do? If not, how about another model? I don't want to get this tuner and find out it is not capable of tuning the doublet to an acceptable SWR.---- I have read the reviews, but I am asking if any of you currently own or operate the Z-100, or other LDG tuner, and if so, are you happy with it? Your input is greatly appreciated.      Bruce/NU0R
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »

I use a similar doublet, fed with 450 ohm window line.  I remoted an SGC-239 in a steel utility box at the feed point, and connect this to the shack with conventional coax.

This allowed me to not have to fiddle with bringing the balanced feed line into the shack.  I phantom the DC power to run the tuner out via the coax.

I added a 4:1 balun to the output.

This setup did not cost me too much because (a) I made the antenna myself from hamfest parts and (b) I bought the tuner used and (c) I did the packaging myself and (d) I wound my own balun and built the DC injector and supply.

You can buy any or all of these items ready-made but the cost goes up.
W6HB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »

I have both the AT-11MP and the AT-200Pro. Both perform nicely with all combinations of tuned feeder fed doublets I have used. Some doublet lengths / feeder lengths prefer a 1:1 balun over the 4:1, particularly on the lower bands. You can easily wind a 1:1 current balun onto an FT125 core that will work well for you. Respect the power ratings and I suspect you will be a happy camper.
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 02:04:55 PM »

I use the AT-100Pro with a 66' dipole fed with 450 ohm twin lead coming into a LDG 4:1 balun then 6 feet of coax to the AT-100Pro.  Works great on all bands...40 thru 10. I had the Z100 but got the 100Pro because it will switch between two antennas, has an led readout for power and swr, and will cover 6 meters with a full 100watts...not 50 like the Z100. I bought my tuner from Cheapham...and I just checked...they have the AT100Pro for $189. Thats my 2 cents...73...Sam W8VVE
W4HLN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 07:48:20 PM »

I have the LDG- AT-200 Pro Tuner and the SGC MAC-200.

LDG beats the SGC hands down! Quicker tuning and a BIG tuning range difference.

Ernie / W4HLN
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

'LO Bruce,

I have been using an AT-200 for over a year with various 80m doublets and am very happy with it.

As one poster already mentioned, some configurations tune better with a 1:1 balun. Better to have both ratios available.

The LDG baluns work fine, but you can build your own for far less cost. If you open up the 1:1 unit and see how simple it is, you'll may regret giving $30 for it!

However, if you don't build, or don't have a friend that does, these are comfortable, off-the-shelf solutions.

I built a switchable 1:1/4:1 balun using 2 Amidon FT-140-61 ferrite toroids. Elecraft sells a kit for about $35.

GL,

Mark
K9JH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:06:54 AM »

I have the Z-100 and have been happy with it.  It doesn't have as wide a tuning range as the manual tuners but it gets the job done.  Fast tuning and will connect to Icom interface.

Get a 4:1 BALUN, but don't get LDGs.  They use a voltage BALUN and you should really use a current BALUN most of the time.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: