Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PL 259 connectors on LMR ultraflex 400  (Read 919 times)
N7GCO

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »

Can you use standard PL 259 connectors on Times LMR Ultraflex 400 or does it require special connectors?

I am looking for coax to connect to a VHF/UHF antenna.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »

Standard PL-259 connectors will work fine on LMR-400 Ultraflex. Make sure you have enough brad available for soldering as the foil shield will not accept solder.
WA5ZUP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:37:31 AM »

Are you going to rotate it.  If not then LMR400 has a little better loss figures at vhf/uhf and a tougher jacket.  Standard PL259 connectors will work fine with both.
If you need the flex, look also at Davis RF Bury-flex.  Close, spec wise, to LMR400UF, but with the same jacket(tuff) as LMR400.
K8POS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:06:49 AM »

Based on my learning the hard way experience with LMR400,
Make sure you tin the center conductor and the braid BEFORE you insert the PL259.  Use quality PL259s the RS stuff melts too easily.  After soldering, bang the connector on the table a few times THEN check for loose connections and shorts.  The heavier center conductor and braid take a good amount of heat to solder correctly.  use a min 80 watt soldering iron.
My 2 cents.

Bob
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:41:13 AM »

"Make sure you have enough brad available for soldering as the foil shield will not accept solder."...  Aluminum will not take standard rosin core solders, and the solders designed for aluminum are ACID CORE, so don't use them for electrical connections!
(Just in case you were thinking about it!)
73s.

-Mike.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »

Remember that a "PL-259" is a UHF male connector (plug,)  but NOT all UHF male connectors are PL-259's.

There are many variations, but the true PL-259 is the two part, soldered shield version, and it's well worth getting a name brand connector (Amphenol, Kings,) than trying to save a $ or two on low quality or cheap connectors.  The connectors are NOT cheap when you have to take an antenna down from a tower to replace a coax connector, or have to have a radio repaired because the finals were destroyed because of a faulty connector.  Good quality, name brand PL-259's can be obtained for as little as $2.00; sometimes bagged Amphenol silver plated PL-259's can be found at hamfests/swapmeets for as little as $1.00.
    And ANY of the "0.405 inch" diameter (i.e., RG-8 type ) cables will take the standard PL-259.  That includes RG-213/U, Belden 9913, and LMR-400 in all it's variations.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: