Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS 940 batteries  (Read 472 times)
WANABEE

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

Battery behind front panel was replaced to correct freq. storage problem. Seemed to work for a week. Now when radio is turned on the freq. storage no longer works, and freqency lock is on and when disabled freq. will not change until I turn radio off and reset with A=B when turned on. A second battery is below the speaker which (I think) is related only to the timer switch function. What could be wrong now with freq. and again, freq. storage. Thanks Chris
KB1IIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »

I think you might be wrong about the use of the battery. In any case, change both batteries. I was able to do it in about 20 minutes. No problems at all afterwards.

Bruce
capvan@comcast.net
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »

The battery you need to change is the one on the main chassis.

73, Jim/k7unz
WANABEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 04:06:10 AM »

OK, thanks for info. Was not sure about function of batt below the speaker so will change that too.  Did not even know it was there!
WANABEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 05:09:18 AM »

Gee, should have asked this question already but....
The battery (ordered from amateur radio parts store) that I already installed behind the front panel had small solder tabs aready attached for soldering to the pins on the small circuit board.

When I had the radio apart to replace this battery I tried to find that same battery locally but they only had it without the tabs.

Does the location below the speaker also use pins or would a battery without the tabs be easily installed.  Have never soldered directly to a battery so do not know if I can do it.

Again thanks for all your help.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 06:44:35 AM »

if there is a local  battery store,  computer  cell phone portable phone type store  then they should have batteries with tabs.

other wise   batteriesamerica.com

or   w w associates       maha
or some other  battery supplier.
see  most copies of  ham magazines.  
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:14 AM »

Although it isn't necessary to do, you could also use a coin cell holder.  The next time you had to change the battery (if there is a next time) you wouldn't even have to haul out the soldering iron!
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 07:51:58 AM »

These two dealers are Kenwood suppliers and carry both batteries.  One is East coast and other is West coast, take your choice.  (I have used 'em both)

http://www.kenwoodparts.com/index.

htmp://www.pacparts.com/

73, Jim/k7unz
N0CGF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 06:45:10 AM »

I found that the "Batteries Plus"  store in Rochester Minnesota had the batteries for the TS940.  They were the EXACT Battery that Kenwood put in when the radio was manufactured.  It was the SAME Company that made the battery with the SAME exact battery part number, WITH the leads on them. The price was less than 5 dollars each. Kenwood wanted 20 dollars for each battery. N0CGF
WANABEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »

Yes, thanks.  I found that battery today at Batteries Plus and they even soldered on both tabs for less than $4.00.  So much easier than ordering. Now to install and hope that solves the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: