Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-2000 Questions  (Read 1539 times)
KC2TOH

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:44:52 AM »

So I just want to make sure that the 440 antenna input is N. I just ordered a TS-2000 and the Diamond MX72N duplexer. Is this the correct duplexer to use?

http://diamondantenna.net/mx72n.html

Will I notice much loss with a duplexer. I have the Diamond X510NA 17' dualband antenna that I want to use with the 2000.

I have heard that the VHF/UHF sensitivity issues have been fixed in the newer models after 2006.

BTW, does everyone think I will like the TS-2000? How would it compare to the IC706MKIIG that I am using for a base station now?

I have to send the 706 back to ICOM for warranty repair due to excessive subaudible tone deviation (noise).

Any opinions on the TS-2000 will be greatly appreciated.

Mike    KC2TOH
N2VWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:48:13 AM »

Doesn't the TS-2000 have 4 so239 connectors on the back of the radio? That is what it looks like when I viewed an online manual. If so you need a diplexer with pl-259 connectors on the radio end and then whatever you plan to use on the antenna side. There is very little loss in a properly made diplexer, most of your loss on 440 will be from whatever coax you use.

I cannot answer your other questions as I have never used a TS-2000.

Gary
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:33:30 AM »

I am going on 6 years with my TS2000(X) and I learn to appreciate it more each day.  I operated an FT-857 for Field Day and it nearly drove me crazy with the need to constantly access the menus to change basic operating parameters.

As far as a diplexer, I use a Comet triplexer with a Comet 6M/2M/790CM vertical.  There is no detectable difference in performance on any of these bands between the triplexer and a direct connection.

The Comet triplexer has all PL-259 connectors so I use an SO-239 to N Male adapter on the 70CM antenna port.

If you count the receive-only antenna connector and the connector for 1.2GHz, my TS2000(X) has a total of six antenna connectors!
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:40:54 AM »

The 440 antenna output on the back of the TS-2000 is female N.

The MX72N should work although I do not see where it covers 50 MHz (6 meters).

I have not noticed any losses using a duplexer compared to not using one in my setup. I no longer use a duplexer as I have separate coax cables going to my antennas.

My TS-2000 is from 2001 and compares in sensitivity with the Icom 706MKIIG I own.  I am not an avid weak signal enthusiast though.

I think you will like the TS-2000. I have a few radios, and if I had to keep only one, it would most likely be the TS-2000.  It is a radio that does it all in a relatively small package.

73, BJ
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »

As Tom has noted, many ham grade instrument with a PEP switch do not read PEP accurately on SSB telephony.

Additionally, the usual type of inline power meter does not respond to average power of a complex wave as some suggest. They should be calibrated on an unmodulated carrier and are meaningful for that, but nothing else. BTW inane noises like 'haaaaaaarlo' is not an unmodulated carrier, nothing like it, neither is a whistle, and such meter readings are meaningless.

Owen
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »

Hello Owen who was asking about power meters here?
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »

N3JBH,

It looks like a reply that I made to another question was posted here. It was probably finger trouble on my part... but the large number of multiple postings makes me a little suspicious of the eham application.

Apologies for the out of context posting.

For those who want to read the context, it was entitled "Silly Power Question"

Owen
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:50:58 PM »

My Kenwood TS-2000 also has a Female type "N" connector for UHF on the back panel.

Note that all TS-2000's need to be run with the Preamp ON for VHF/UHF operation. That is the normal operation mode.  Receive sensitivity is fine in my older model.

As already mentioned, If a ham could have but ONE radio, It HAS TO BE the Kenwood TS-2000!!!!!!!

The real "Jack of all trades" radio that does it all, Including cross band repeat not only between VHF/UHF, But also from HF to UHF!!!!!!   Super for monitoring a HF net, Or listening for 6 meters to open up from a shirt pocket hand held radio while doing yard work, Walking around the block, Or whatever. No need to sit in front of the radio at all times!!!!!

Like any jack of all trades, The TS2K is not the "best" in every respect (I prefer my Icom 756PRO for HF use) But again, The 756PRO cannot do VHF/UHF or crossband repeat either!

And the TS 2000 will also do "Sky Command" remote control with the special hand held radio. (Cross band repeat can be done with any dual band hand held of any brand)

The TS-2000 is plenty of radio in all respects for average amateur use.
K2DSL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 12:10:55 PM »

I just purchased the TS-2000 (arrived last week) and I have the same duplexer connected to a Diamond X200A antenna and it works fine. You got the right duplexer.

As for opinions, all I can say is that it works out of the box and it looks like a lifetime of opportunity to learn to tweak to your hearts content.

I have a G5RV type dipole up and the auto tuner works well and as good as or better then the LDG AT200 Pro I was borrowing along with a friends IC-706. When I make contacts, and I'm running barefoot on the internal 100 watts, folks for the past week have said I sound excellent when I've made contacts. I have it hooked up with a standard RS-232 cable to my notebook running Ham Radio Deluxe and also with N1MM for Field Day and it worked great.

No complaints yet.
W8RPE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »

Honestly, it's a little late to ask if you'll enjoy it since you already ordered it.  You can tell us in a month or so how you like it.  I bought a new TS-2000 and kept it for about a year.  I always though it had a rather poor receiver compared to the IC-728 I replaced with it..and the teeny weeny multi functions buttons were a drag along with the multi level menus.  I proved myself right when I replaced it with an IC-746 Pro and then a 756ProII. My TS-2000 was deaf in real world comparison using a Force-12 C3SS yagi at 50 feet. eHam is great for rig reviews.  Hope you did research before buying the 2000.
KC2TOH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »

W8RPE and the group,

Well I got the TS-2000 and just started to play with it.  I am really impressed!  I was first amazed on the size of this thing.  It is really heavy and just feels well built! It is really easy to figure out after you look through the manual once.  I like having all of the main functions right there at a button push instead of searching through menus.  I am really impressed with  the 2M receive sensitivity.  I am hearing distant traffic on my local repeaters that I have never heard with any other transceiver.  I guess I am going to have to start using the CTCSS function on the repeaters output frequency.  The DSP function works great and I am getting many more good signal reports on HF then I did with my 706.  I also seem to be picking up a lot more distant HF stations as compared to my 706.  I am finally starting to hear Europe (not sure if it is the radio or band conditions)  So from what I have observed so far this is a much better rig then my 706 was especially as a base station.   The only things I have noticed on the negative side so far is the slow scan speed and the internal antenna tuner will not tune 6M and some 10M  with a 102’ G5RV at 35ft inverted V.  My 706MKIIG with the external LDG AT-7000 tuned from 160 – 6M on the G5RV with no problem.  I have done everything I could ever do with the 706.  In one day I have done everything on the TS-2000 that I have done on the 706 and there is all kinds of other functions on the TS-2000 that I haven’t even touched.  I can’t wait to try Sky Command, cross band repeat, satellites, TNC and all the other great options this radio offers.  

W8RPE,  The main reason I purchased this rig was because of all the good reviews on eHam.  As far as numbers go the TS-2000 had more positive reviews then any other radio I looked at.  And, I looked at a lot of radios.  So I did my research.  All the reviews I have ever read says the TS-2000 outperforms the IC-746, but everyone has there own opinion I guess.  Not sure about the IC-756PRO III but that is $1,000 more and doesn’t have 2M and 440.  As far as the “teeny weeny multi functions buttons”  I love them.  I would much rather push one button then constantly scrolling through menus trying to find what you want like with the ICOMs.  And there is no multi level menus on my TS-2000.  My TS-2000 is definitely not deaf in the real world especially when compared to the 706MKIIG, 746 and the 718.              
K1ROY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »

what does the carrier function on the ts-2000 do? I think it concerns am mode but even kenwood themselves could not answer this.
When I use the function of DCS, my nice audio with my Heil mic gets sort of compressed or narrow instead of being nice and wideband like it normally is...anyone know why?

why when you click the plus button and go thru all the bands, do you have 3 segments of the 50 MHz band? It is like the band is broken into 3 segments. This is again when you are going up or down through all the bands in vfo mode.
W6GQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 07:24:54 PM »

QUOTE:"RE: TS-2000 Questions  Reply  
by K0CWO on June 30, 2008  
The 440 antenna output on the back of the TS-2000 is female N.

The MX72N should work although I do not see where it covers 50 MHz (6 meters)."

It is ok that it does not cover 6 meter, since the 6 meter connection is on the HF side of the radio x2 connectors if need be.
KE7UCW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »

I am about to buy my first base rig. I have been running a kenwood HT for the past year on a j-pole so this string is really helpful.

I wanted to get something that I could use now as a technician and hopefully use when I get my general ticket in the near future. The idea was to set up my shack with the kinds of equipment I need now and can use later on. So I am 99% sure the TS-2000 is what I'll get. Was thinking of getting the D710 by Kenwood along with this for mobile.

I have been reading all the reviews and the manual several times and feel I can use this rig when I do get it. I'll have to go back to the manual of course when I do get my hands on it. Nothing like touching when reading!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: