Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turner Super Side Kick microphone ---  (Read 1395 times)
NU0R

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »

I have a Turner Super Sidekick mic that has a bad potentiometer that needs to be replaced. It is the pot that controls the volume. Its knob is on top of the base of the mic. The value of the pot is not marked on the chrome and I need to find out the value of the pot. The shaft just falls out so I can't get a good reading on my ohm meter to find out the correct value. Does anyone have a schematic or know the value of the volume pot? I have searched the web and found one schematic, but it is just for wiring the mic and does not include the pot value. Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Bruce
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »

The actual value of the potentiometer isn't too critcal. I would probobly be more concerned with finding one with a similar shaft that would accomodate the knob and if the potentiometer had similar physical dimensions to the original.

You could probobly use any variable pot with a range between 10 and 50k and it would probobly work out just fine.

The only difference you will notice when not using an exact replacement is that the volume control range may differ somewhat. It may either increase or decrease over a smaller or larger incremental portion involving the overall adjustable range of the control.

Sometimes that can even be a good thing if you are looking for more accuarate precision out of the control. A higher value than the original usualy means "full volume" will be achieved in a shorter range of the control.

Hope that helps.

73 de Charles - KC8VWM /AG
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 06:08:38 PM »

I found a schematic for the Turner +3 and it uses a 5K pot . I wonder if the Super Sidekick uses the same value? --- Charles, I know what you mean about finding a similar sized pot. Most pots that I have seen are too big in diameter to fit in the same spot as the original pot. There are other places it can be installed though. I don't care if it is original or not, I just want it to work. Of course it would be nice to make it close to original if possible. I could also put in a screwdriver adjustable (PC pot) and it will fit just fine. Once the volume is set I see no reason to re-adjust it anyway.   Thanks, Bruce/NU0R
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »

Note - even if the shaft is falling out of the old one, you can still measure it's value.  The pot has three terminals - the two ends of the resistor element, and one (in the middle), the wiper.  So, even if the wiper is out, you can still measure the value of the pot by measuring the resistance between the two end contacts.

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »

Did you look through Mouser on line?

I was looking for adjust pots for my phono amplifier; start around 50K and keep decreasing the load to find about where the low out put cartridge sounds the best.

I probably looked at 20 different ones?

Bob
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »

I took the pot apart and gave it a good cleaning with alcohol. I also bent the swiper a bit so it would make better contact. When I put it back together the shaft seems to stay in just fine and it works as it should. It was kind of a bugger to dig the pot out of the circuitry, but it went back together well. Thanks for your input.   Bruce/NU0R
K4FLH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »

In case you haven't resolved your problem Its a 25k ohm. If you need one I have a few .Just send me your asddress and a couple bucks for postage
I'm good on QRZ
Bill Price K4FLH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: