Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best mobile speaker  (Read 365 times)
KE6ANM

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »

I'm looking for the best mobile speaker for my tm-d700 and my yaesu 5100
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:07:49 PM »

I don't know if this is the "best" speaker or not, but I've had excellent results with the MFJ-281 Clear Tone speaker.  It's relatively small, with a 3" cone and is optimized for voice frequencies in the 600-4KHz range.  It's not fancy, has no active noise filtering or amplification, but for about $12, it works exceptionally well.  I have one in each of my vehicles.

Good Luck
N5VTU
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »

Motorola mobile communications speakers are among the most rugged and best sounding speakers for vehicle installs.

Like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270345221490

These are also good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170300198553

I would try to look for a speaker that comes with the bracket, like two of the ones in the first ad above.

There are other commercial two way speakers that are also good. Hit the hamfests and tailgates in your area.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:48:26 AM »

Headphones!... But I doubt that is what you want to hear.
There are lots of good speakers out there.  Please remember that even FM has a limited frequency response!
Do you have a budget?

-Mike.
KC2RGW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 06:41:07 AM »

Kenwood KES-5, they are built like a brick and sound amazing.  Though if you find a used Motorola speaker, they are similar and can be had for less money.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/speakers/1089.html
K6KAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:05:33 AM »

I have tried many of the mobile speakers, but I keep coming back to the Kenwood SP-50B
KE7ONE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

Greetings,

I know that it's important to bolster our economy and purchase the extras from authorized dealers, especially if we are concerned about how our systems look in the shack. That being said, I've found that a single speaker from a computer sound system works wonderfully. Sure, it dosen't have the DSP and noise reduction circuits, but for voice, my ears can't tell the difference. For code, I just need to hear between 800-1.2Khz. I got mine at the local thrift store down the street for about $3.00 USD. If it decides to go south, my investment was well worth it.

That's my $0.02USD.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »

You didn't ask, but I'll give you a few hints.

Speakers with passive filters do a creditable job of cutting high frequencies which make long-term listening tiresome. However, you can do just about the same thing by mounting the speaker under your seat and aiming it up. The cushion material will absorb most of the high frequencies, and accentuate the lows.

Any speaker smaller than 3 inches isn't worth the effort, nor are those which are 8 to 12 ohms. That's almost every after-market unit currently available.

The GE and Motorola speakers are much better. They're 4 inch, have large ceramic magnets, a 3.2 ohm impedance, and an SPL greater than 98 dB. Drive them with today's under powered (audio) transceivers, and you can actually get too much volume, even when mounted under the seat.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: