Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plasma tv  (Read 496 times)
VE7AL

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:20:58 AM »

Major interferrence.Is there any correction?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:30:30 AM »

I have two (Hitachis), and I don't have any RFI from either one.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:54:37 AM »

If its radiated from the display, you are hosed.

You might try some ferrite toroids as a common mode filter on the line cord and on any wires (rf and video) emerging from the box.  If its HF interference, you need maybe 4 or 5 turns thru the toroids.

Theoretically you could cover it with foil and ground it, but it would be kinda hard to see the picture Smiley
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:56:07 AM »

Shielding and filtering.
You will need to determine how the noise is getting into the radio first, though!

-Mike.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »

KoBg Are you recommending the Hitachis?
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »

Thats K0bg sorry
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »

Get an LCD TV.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »

I have a Panasonic plasma... no noise whatsoever on HF. My antenna is 30m from the house tho.
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »

I have a 3-year-old Panasonic 42" plasma TV.  Noisy to the point where I have to turn it off when operating.  Gets into the AM radio in the kitchen, too.  Most of the noise is generated by the white colors.

I have tried all the stuff out there and still no joy!!!!

I would suggest an LCD display.  Much quieter!

Good luck DE Bert @ KA2UUP
WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 07:27:58 AM »

In most cases, the amount of RFI - if any - depends on the actual model, not so much the manufacturer.

A couple years ago, another ham reported intense RFI from his neighbors Pioneer plasma tv from over 1/4 mile. Being a friend of his, the neighbor returned the TV and swapped it for another make - problem completely solved.

In my experience there have been some exceptions, with Samsung plasma's being the worst offenders for HF RFI. I know of 3 in my neighborhood alone - and one of them belongs to me.

Don't waste your time and money on no common mode chokes;  the problem is radiation from the screen itself.  

...WA1RNE

WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »

Sorry for the poor grammar. (coffee was good this morning)

The post should have read:

Don't waste your time and money on common mode chokes; the problem is radiation from the screen itself.

...WA1RNE
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »

A little heads up guys...

Before we all go into screw TV mode, not that I am against saying screw TV. Let us pause to see that this guy is not licensed in the US under the rules and regs of the FCC....

He could have completely different rules and regs that require differet things in his country.

Having stated the above to the original poster....

See YOUR rules and regulations for your country as they relate to amateur radio.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »

>>>See YOUR rules and regulations for your country as they relate to amateur radio.

I am curious --- how do rules and regulations change the fact that RFI is occurring or not occurring?  Do you mean that if the local rules say that RFI is allowed then it is OK?
N8TCZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »

Not just plasma's.  I had RFI wipe out 2M from about 165.80 to 147.10.  Drove me crazy for a while since that was right on frequencey with the closest repeater.  I knew it wasn't the radio because I got the same RFI on my HT.  Found the problem when I walked into the bedroom and up to my little 17" flatscreen (LCD) TV.  The television was not turned on but it was plugged in.  When I pulled the plug the RFI noise disappeared.  So the TV was emitting RFI in standby mode.  This can apply to any remote controlled device or appliance (DVD, Stero's, tape players, etc).    I also cured the noise on HF when I unplugged the notorious touch lamps.  They gave me a S7 background noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: