I wonder if he finally upgraded!
N3OX

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 06:06:17 PM »

What's CW?

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WY4J

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »

Why would anyone even bother posting a response to this fool and his equally foolish comment. It's evident either he is not a ham or man enough to list his call if he is one. Either one, is not worth getting worked up about. .-.. --- -. --. .-.. .. ...- . -.-. .--
W9OY

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »

Well to answer your question Never.

73  W9OY
W3JJH

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »

I don't enjoy Morse telegraphy.  I learned American Morse from my grandfather, a railroad telegrapher, and International Morse to become a First Class Scout.  I've used it as a soldier and a pilot.  It's a useful skill, but it's not something I do for fun.  I find QRP SSB more of a challenge.

That having been said, I'm glad that it's still in use by those who take a hobby interest in it.  I hope it's allowed as long as they have a desire to use it.

I'm also glad to see that telegraphy proficiency is no longer required for an amateur license.  The regulatory reason for it, the ability to communicate with naval stations when they wanted hams to clear off of a particular frequency, went away when the Department of Commerce replaced the Navy as the regulatory agency for radio back in the 1920s.

Sailboating, shooting muzzleloading firearms, using Morse telegraphy, and other hobby uses of obsolete technology preserve important bits of our heritage, but they do not define all modern hobbyists.  One can be an expert sailor and only use a motor boat.  One can be a master class marksman and only use fixed ammunition.  And one can be a full-fledged ham and not use Morse code.
KA2UUP

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 09:03:46 AM »

As a fellow amateur said above, don't feed the trolls!  But, in this case, I must say something about this!

Someone that does not want to sign with theit own call letters must have some sort of problem.  As that Great American, Harry S. Truman, said, "take the  heat or get out of the kitchen."

I learned 5 wpm and got my license and upgraded in 2000 after they took away the requirements for CW.  Only problem is that that is where the fun and the rare DX are, on the CW part of the band.  So now I am up to 10-12 wpm and improving and having the time of my life.

In any case, I can argue until I am out of spit.  You can learn CW and enjoy the hobby completely, or you can limit yourself to USB and join the gang on  14.275 MHz.  Based on your attitude and inane  comment, that would be a good place for you to hang out.

I just hope that you are not a provate pilot and is trying to screw up that area, too.

Enjoy 14.275!!!!

Have a nice life!!!!
N3OX

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »

"
In any case, I can argue until I am out of spit. You can learn CW and enjoy the hobby completely, or you can limit yourself to USB and join the gang on 14.275 MHz."

Yeah, those are the only two options.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KG6WLS

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »

>>Cw  Reply  
by TECH2005 on December 16, 2004  Mail this to a friend!  
When is cw or the useless antiquated morse code going to be deleted? Us real hams want to move ahead with the future of ham radio and not hold on to a past that is rapidly dieing.<<

::I can't believe that somebody dragged this out of the archives with a RE: to put this at the top of the heap. It kind of reminds of that show "Cold Case". Did he/she upgrade? Did he/she leave amateur radio all together? Did he/she die? Does anybody really care at this point?

I can see where a good question gets reinstated from the past to update us, or with a better mouse trap than the other, but this??

C'mon!!!

73 de KG6WLS
W9OY

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »

The thing I don't understand is why people think CW is anachronistic.  Just because the troll put the question that way does not make it so.  It is no more or less a mode than any other.  Prejudice.

73  W9OY      
K9KEN

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »

You know what really is a joke about this topic is like everything all else in the world things some how always come back around! I say this for a reason! I have been liscened since 1974 and can say that morse code was not my best suit! Now with that said CW has a resurgence as of late. It is a great method of communication. It has been proven it can get through in the worst band conditions. I also must say it is diffcult to learn, but with that said it was like riding a bike. Once you learn you never forget ! (for me anyways) Now the crux of this is that I have been mentoring some new to be hams in my area and suprisingly they all want to learn morse code. You ask why,and most of the reasons were it is cool because we saw it on tv or at the movie or my grandfather spoke about it . So like any new old things to learn it has some great advantages. I dont understand why it bothers someone that morse code is such a BIG problem. My question for the person who started this topic is why worry just learn have fun with it, and someday it my help you ! IT IS NOT A REQUIRMENT ANYMORE ! Again who care LEARN SOMETHING NEW OR FORGET ABOUT FOR AWHILE AND THEN GO BACK TO TOHAVE FUN! IT WAS THE AND STILL IS THE MYSTERY OF COMMUNICATIONS !
Joe
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: