Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What address is on urQSL card. PO Box or Physical?  (Read 716 times)
KM6CQ

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:29 PM »

Hello all,
I have a simple question. What address do you put on your QSL cards. Your PO box or your physical address and why?
This questions arises because my PO box city is different from my home address city.

Best Regards, Dan
KB2SIN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »

I use my PO Box only because that is where I would like a return card sent.
73's
de kb2sin
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:02:44 AM »

Which one can they CONTACT you at?  If they mail correspondence, will you get it?
Remember the reason for the FCC having your address in the ULS database... so they can CONTACT you if there is a problem!
(In the "Good Old Days" you could not use a P.O. box, now you can! So use the mailing address that they can contact you at!)
73s.

-Mike.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:01:45 AM »

I use my station's Maidenhead designator on QSL cards to indicate location, even when I had a PO Box address. But there are no rules as to what goes on a QSL card, so you have several choices. If the actual QTH is more important to you than having a valid mail address, use the QTH. If you're more interested in your contacts knowing your mailing address, use the PO Box address. And, if you design your own QSL cards, why not print both the address and the QTH?

At least one source for Maidenhead designators is the Google map tool at http://f6fvy.free.fr/qthLocator/fullScreen.php
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 05:23:39 AM »

When my operating location is different from my mailing address, I put both. This is especially important if the two locations are in different Maidenhead grids (for grid collectors), counties (for county hunters), states (for WAS), etc. Maybe if they're adjacent cities, in the same county and grid, it isn't a big deal--then I'd probably put mailing address only.

All the other comments people have posted are valid, but I think it's best to try to address them all, especially if it matters.
KC4GS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:26:24 AM »

Some of the county hunter groups use the address printed on the card as the location for that contact.  Otherwise, you must specify where the actual contact was made from.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »

I'd say one concern is how far away your POB city is from the operating location. You probably wouldn't want to use the POB city if it were 20 miles from your operating location but in my case the POB city is closer.

I use a POB because I don't want the cards sitting in the Wx out in the mailbox. Most of that comes from the days when the mail box was out at the main road with a row of them.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »

Your PO box or your physical address and why?

My home QTH.  That is where my station is and that is where I made the contact from.  I don't live in a PO box.  

And if your fear is the fear of someone doing something, well come on and try.  I have several layers of security and also welcome anyone to stop on by.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:02:02 AM »

Have had a po box since 1997 and have the same problem, except I do not have a mailbox at my physical residence.  I use the po box for everything.

If someone wishes to mail me something it goes to the po box.  Even the local phone book has my po box address.  It is not that I don't want visitors (live on a major highway and near prominent landmark) snowplows tend to eliminate a few mailboxes during the winter.  Its just not worth the trouble.

Also I can trash the junk mail before I even get home...

Mike
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »

I had no choice but to list my PO Box.
I did not get mail at my old address as they did not deliver to the rural area I was in.
But then again there were no antenna restrictions!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:07:02 PM »

It depends on how much privacy one desires.  Many hams only list PO Boxes on their tickets.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »

I have my mailing address printed on my QSL card as well as in the FCC database. That is where I get my mail: I want other people to mail me their QSL cards and I want to get correspondance from the league so those people need my mailing address.

I make almost no contacts from my home. Right now, I don't even have a station set up at home. I am either mobile or portable. I love to work from mountain tops, I operate from the parking lot at work fairly often, I take my 817 with me when I travel...........So, if it matters, I note on the card where I was when I made the contact. For several years now I was thinking of having seperate cards made up with pictures of me operating portable and another card with my mobile rig so I could send out whatever one is appropriate for the contact.
But, I am old school and like QSL cards and really enjoy getting them from other people.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
KM6CQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »

Thank you all for your input on this subject. I will go with my PO BOX. This way I will not miss any cards that come my way. I know this will be acceptable.

73,   Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: