Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swan /power supply caps?  (Read 793 times)
WA3IRJ

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:28:48 PM »

Hello all

Planning some preventive maintenance on my Swan 500.
Anybody suggest where I can puy some caps for the power supply ? Seems they are getting a little scarce..

JohnB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 03:47:37 PM »

Nah, they're not.  Just beware the "new" 450V electrolytics are quite a bit smaller than the old original ones were, so you're going to end up with extra space...

Look here:

http://www.mouser.com/?handler=data.listcategory&Ne=100&N=111

Mouser has a good selection, reasonably priced.

WB2WIK/6
WA3IRJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 06:12:57 PM »

Thanks Steve.

They are a little smaller. I may eve still change the voltage to the Swan. I was the guy who was worried about running the 500cx at full power, into the Mk-2

Some say yes, some say do not worry. But the thing that makes sense, is it is less wear and tear on the 6MJ6/6lq6 sweep tubes. The finals do not like anything but max power...but you know that, as I think you had a Swan or two.

We worked on 20 meters a while back...I remember you are from the Jersey, SE Pa area..(pac-rats)
thanks again Smiley
JohnB
KB3LXY
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »

John -

Mouser is a good source for CDE/Mallory capacitors.
CDE also has a web site for the remaining types that Mouser can get - BUT may not regularly stock
http://www.cde.com

DigiKey carries the Panasonic line of electrolytic capacitors.

There was going to be a repalceemnt baord for the Swan117XC power supply -- BUT lack of interest placed that upgrade "on hold""
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/swan117xcpowersu.html

w9gb
WA3IRJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 11:04:39 AM »

I also found an entire replacement board, complete with resistors, diodes, and caps. Fot about 50 bucks, it is almost a drop in. And it claims better high voltage control, as well as a method of reducing voltage so..those good old speep tubes can have a longer life..and drive an amp with less power, if needed,
kb3lxy
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 11:41:12 PM »

If you are replacing the caps (because of age) it might be prudent to also replace bleeder resostor(s) and any equalizing resistors that may be used across series connected caps.  The old resistors commonly change value with age, especially with high temps and if pushed close to their maximum ratings.  New resistors are (relatively) cheap, and will most likely have a higher power rating, and better tolerance than the originals.  Many are also labeled "flameproof," if you can find those easily.
    At the very least, check the resistor values while you have the supply apart and discharged.  It's a LOT easier to do the work all at once!
WA3IRJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 01:11:21 PM »

Thanks
I am under the impression, that this up grade board has resistors, diodes, and the caps. But yes, I agree, they should all be gone over. Including the PA section. I had this rig on the air for at least 6 mos. And I watched it , very gradualy loose out put. I thought it was the finals...replace them. It was no better. I dug into the power supply, and found two ruptured caps. And the voltage was less than 1/2 of what the high voltage should be...result "QRP" Swan!
thanks again !
JohnB
KB3lxy
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 06:52:08 AM »

John -

Well the replacement power supply board (from The Heathkit Shop) for the Swan 117XC is NOT being made (ON HOLD - due to lack of interest from Swan owners/restorers)
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/swan117xcpowersu.html

w9gb
KB3LXY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 05:32:51 AM »

Thanks

But I did find one on ebay. And it works great. The high voltage is right on the money ...now at least, I can get the right ower out of the PA. What a difference 400 volts makes...LOL
JohnB
KB3LXY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 05:06:26 PM »

FYI

Power supply done.
I did the upgrade kit sold on ebay. What a difference a few hundred extra volts can make. The high volage is up to 980 volts..and 840 with a load. The old rig plays at 275-300 watts out on all bands. And...yes...it is even better at warming the shack now !
73..happy holidays
JohnB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: