Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWAN 250 SSB  (Read 650 times)
KE5EBS

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2006, 08:41:35 AM »

Hello all,

Got a SWAN 250 6 meter rig given to me the other day, was restoring the rig, and was just wondring if anyone has come up with a good replacement for the little silver insearts in the front of control knobs?  Two are missing off this rig and was wondering what would be a useble fix. As of now was cutting out and going to glue the bottom of a pie pan, you know one of them aluminum ones the wife bakes her pies in.  Any other sugestions???

Thanks,

KE5EBS
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »

Patrick -

Yes, "spun aluminum inlays" for knosb are available from a number of amateur individuals for the Collins, Drake, National, Hallicrafters and various boatacnhor radios.  There are regular selelrs on eBay offering varius inlay sizes.

You can contact K3ICH and see if he can help.

Charlie Talbott
13192 Pinnacle Lane
Leesburg, VA 20176-6146.
Phone: 540-822-5643
Email: k3ich@arrl.net

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 02:21:40 PM »

Alan, KC9YS in the western Chicago suburbs has also started to make aluminum inlays.

http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeArticles/DrakeB-LineInserts.htm

gb  

KB3LXY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 05:37:28 PM »

Hi
I think that I saw the smaller knobs at radio shack. the larger tuning size will have to had on ebay, or via a slavage rig
good luck
JohnB
KE5EBS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 07:13:05 AM »

Thanks for all the help will look into getting some replacements.  Got the rig on the air last night, and had my first contact (preplanned with guy accross town) signal was loud and clear on the rec. and my buddy said I was loud and clear on his end too.  Seems to be working fine, was hitting 100watts on the watt meter with a SWR of 1:2 not bad for a rig built in 1965.  

KE5EBS

KB3LXY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 03:57:52 PM »

The 250 is a good rig. It may drift a little , when first fired up, but after 25 minutes or so, it settles down.

With good the right tune, and healty tune mine out out 140 watts. And I always had good audio reports with it...
Johnb
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 02:16:55 PM »

I have had several 250s and I always had a good time with 'em. Made my very first MS contacts using a small 5 el beam, in about the WORST possible QTH in Mass.
Old radios may lack some modern features (and performance), but they have SOUL. I have a Drake TR-6 and it's among my all time favorite radios.

ron

N4UE
KE5EBS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 08:17:39 AM »

I love the old rigs, all of mine are tube rigs with the one exception of my 2 meter rig, in the truck.  The Swan sits right above a HW-101, and the nice warm hum from both units just have a soothing sound to them..  I took apart the 117xc power supply and found some bare wires in it!! After a rewire job, and checking for any other nastys, it was given a clean bill of health.  Future note all rigs I get from someone that has been sitting up, will get a through inspection, no matter if they say it was working fine last time they had it on the AIR!!!  I cant believe how lucky I was that non of the bare spots on the melted wire were not toching anything!!!!

KE5EBS
KE5EBS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 08:20:17 AM »

Sigh,,,, Just had a 6GK6 tube go out in the 250, audio would drop off after about 3 to 5 min of warm up time, then could hardly hear a thing.  Started looking though the AF gain circuit and could not find any componets that where bad, so swapped out the tube with the identical one that sits on the transmit side of the rig, and BOOM loud audio, but no transmit now of course, could not get much more then about a watt on the meter then it droped off, with a big 0. So now it is the hunt for the 6GK6 tube...

KE5EBS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: