Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use VOX?  (Read 2050 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »

I have virtually never used VOX and it seems to me to be less common nowadays. Comments?
W1WFG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »

o. used to use it. t kept cutting off the beginnings of sentences. ove me crazy. ventually I stopped.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:55:06 PM »

Yes.

I even use a relay between my xmitter and receiver.  Guess I'm just lazy?  Hi HI.
Bob
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 06:59:46 PM »

Only for VHF contests... the only time I'm ever working SSB and want both hands free for logging, QSYing, and rotator controlling.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 07:00:23 PM »

BTW if I were serious about contesting, I'd probably use a footswitch instead... so I don't cut anything off... ;-)

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »

If it is less common, it is probably because fewer people want to take time to learn how to correctly set it up.

Many complain they forget to turn it off, and broadcast things they shouldn't.  

Neither of these is the fault of the system.  It is simply a matter of the operator not having the desire to set it up or operate it correctly.

I have used VOX when on phone exclusively since VOX was introduced, without problems.

I'm always amused at PTT operators who spend a full 2-3 minutes doubling, and then neither wants to repeat the transmission.

It's all a matter of getting the VOX Gain, Delay and Anti-VOX set correctly.

One of the benefits, as in my case, is you can use a headset and have hands free to work on other projects.
This allows me to operate while I'm on the workbench doing something else.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »

VOX is much easier to use and much more uniform in its operation when you use a headset mike.

That is because of the constant distance between your mouth and the microphone.

With a desk mike, it is easy to "drop" the VOX by being just slightly further away from the mike.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:21:52 PM »

My experience is that VOX operators almost always end up doubling. I've used a foot switch for some of my infrequent phone contesting which does work well.

When was it invented? I remember that the Central Electronics 20-A SSB transmitter had it around 1957. Very impressive technology to me then.

I operate in a fairly public shack... wife, kids, pets always making noise. Furthermore I have pretty bad asthma with a bad Signal to Cough/Sneeze/Wheeze ratio.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »

I keep the delay almost all the way off.  That's almost QSK, but with voice.  Long delay leads to doubling.  Yes, occasionally VOX operators double, but no moreso than two people talking on the phone might, and in my experience not nearly so much as PTT ops.

I think you're right, VOX came on the scene in 56-57.  The first circuit I built had a single 6SQ7 in it, and I used it (get this) on AM.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 01:37:01 AM »

Nowadays I use VOX occasionally during contests. I used to use it all te time during contesting. Once the set up was good (on a FT 1000MP) you never had a problem.
The VOX of the K3 I now use works FB but in a multi two contest station (www.pi4dx.com) with both opperators fairly close to one another, I prefer a good footswitch.
But after hours of using the footswitch, I'm glad that I can use VOX for a while.

At home I use VOX almost all the time. The only down side is that on the K3 you have to push and hold the button to activate of deactivate the VOX wich is a pain compared to the Isukenyaecomwood transceivers, especially when I have to sneeze.
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:42:40 AM »

By the way, I alway use a headset/boom mic such as a Heil pro set plus.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 04:13:52 AM »

It is an option on your radio.
Use it or not, it is a personal preference... the choice is yours.
73s.

-Mike.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 04:22:40 AM »

Footswitch for contesting, desk top microswitch for DXing.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 04:53:44 AM »

I found it handy for HF mobile when on a long trip. With a boom mike and single headphone it made for hands-free operation.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »

I use it all the tim on Phone.  the trick is to use ti with a quiet switchein setup.  I use mine on either the orion and the alpha 87a or the ts 2000.  

neither setup makes a noise when on.  so you just talk and don't do the  ahh ahhh ahh between the words to hold the vox "in". you just talk and listen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: