Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any premade 4gauge power pole wires for batts?  (Read 868 times)
K2FR

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:39:57 AM »

I\'ve added another deep cycle battery to my backup system.  In total I have two Identical 115 AH deep cycle marine batteries from walmart  the ever start ones for 70 bucks each.. Seriously cannot beat that price.

Anyways, i have them linked together in separate battery boxes with a 6 gauge wire to each post.

id like to be able to disconnect the 2nd battery when I need to move the inverter and power equipment around without having to open the boxes and disconnect cables.

Ive searched some, but have not come up with what I like,  Does anyone know a place that makes Starter type cables,  1 batt post to a heavy O ring type connector that has a heavy duty Power Pole type connector in between? So I could keep the hookup as is, but have a quick disconnect in between Batteries.

System can be seen here
Copy/paste
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/Andrew-Mennerich/DSC05864.jpg

You can see I just used 2 starter type wires to run between the boxxes
K2FR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:42:22 AM »

The smaller wires coming out on the left, is a direct connect for the inverter, I was getting voltage and current issues trying to draw through the smaller wires for the Pwrgate and rig runner.

Im just waiting for a heavy duty fuse to show up for that to keep it safe and have it fused near the battery
W0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:07:08 AM »

Try a material handling company. The BIG Powerpoles and large gauge cable are used on battery powered forklifts and pallet jacks.
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »

Have you looked to the marine industry.  Any boat yard should carry what you need.  The cables and heavy duty switches to switch between batteries.  73 Mike.
K2FR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »

Just did some more looking, it seems Anderson Power Poles have a 180 amp option and will handle down to 0 gauge wire.  I just dont know if I trust that type of conenctor between two batteries, or more depending if I want to expand some more.

I guess, I could solder them into the connectors,  ill ask around some and see what i can find out.

Anyone else got any ideas? =)
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »

I understand your interest in keeping losses small but *realistically*, how much current would you expect these batteries to be providing?  I would guess it would never exceed 40A or so, which 8ga would easily handle and would be supported by the amateur-standard size powerpoles and appropriate terminal (they\'re rated for 45A).  It\'s not like you\'re doing a 30ft run of this jumper, it\'s just a couple feet.  Ideally your load would be at this junction in the interest in current sharing but even if it isn\'t, it\'s not like you\'ll be cycling these enough to worry about battery balance for the most part.  I think you\'ll be fine with 8ga in any event.  Consider that when the two batteries are in parallel, the jumper cable will only be carrying half the current.  There is a hookup method in which you can assure current sharing if you\'re interested in that, but it doesn\'t lend itself to splitting the pack easily as you\'re interested in doing.

FWIW, you can get the larger powerpoles from Powerwerx.  If you want heavy duty fine strand jumper wire, go to an outfit that sells welding supplies.  They have really nice neoprene sheathed cable that even comes in zip cord form in various sizes, and sold by the foot.

As far as the dependability of PP connections, they are what they say they are.  If they\'re rated for a particular current, you can believe they will carry it.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K2FR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 11:42:36 AM »

Well the reason for wanting a beefy connection between the batteries is the 750 watt inverter that under full load will be pulling 62 amps.  its a 1500 surge so given even a surge of 1250 watts id need it to handle 100+ Amps.

I dont every forsee myself needing to use the inverter that heavily, but if the powers out for a few days in the winter, i might need to use it to jump start the boiler in the basement in which cause id need that huge amperage

I just always want to improve on my projects and add and change things,  its not mission critical that I can quick disconnect my batteries but its just a neat idea at this point =)
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »

There is a small firm that makes custom, pro-grade assemblies like you describe.

http://www.fireball-tech.com

Used to be in NC but they moved to Wisconsin.

I have some of their stuff, both custom and stock.    We\'re talking professional.  Hydraulic-crimp tools used, top tier materials, the guy is a mech. engineer.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »

like   lxp  said go to a welding supply  house.

fine wire  cables and  replacement   ends for welding cables and also  sockets for welders.

carry   250 amps at about 38 volts while welding.
about 3/4 inch dia. solid copper 2 inces long.

my  welder is like that.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »

> so given even a surge of 1250 watts id need it to
> handle 100+ Amps.

Right, but as I stated before the jumper only has to carry 1/2 the total current.  An 8ga 2\' jumper pair would drop 125mV at 50A.  Going to 4ga would only buy you an additional 75mV.  I doubt this would make a discernable difference during operation.  Given the size of your batteries you\'re not looking at a whole lot of run time at elevated currents anyway and your inverter is capable of surge levels for only so long.  At more modest currents the drop goes down and is even less significant.  

Since you\'re already using starter cables as jumpers, you could just get the high current powerpoles (like a PP75) and call it done.  

Just thought of another source of flexible cable and that\'s automotive jumper cables.  I\'ve bought several sets at yard sales and fleamarkets over the years and they\'re typically at least 6ga and one set was even 2ga.  Usually the alligator clips are shot but that\'s not what I buy them for.  Just thought I\'d throw that in there in case you have a set kicking around the garage you wouldn\'t mind cutting up for the cause.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K2FR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »

makes sense..  how much is the bridge actually going to be pushed that hard.

A couple large power poles should get the job done and be somewhat reasonable on the wallet.

Didn\'t realize Anderson made connectors that big, ill scout the internet for a seller.

I hate projects like this, I can never be happy with what I have.. Always have to change or adjust or build something else to go with it =)
N3IZN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »

hmm Know any cell techs in your area? Most outdoor cabinets will have quick disconnects in thier battery compartment. Most will have extras...... Otherwise EBAY?
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »

http://www.connex-electronics.com/ has all the PowerPole connectors you could want at a good price.  These include PPs rated at up to 180 amps.

Phil - AD5X
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »

The outfit I referenced in my first post, Powerwerx also sells powerpoles and terminals in single unit quantities, as well as the fine strand wire.

<http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson%2Dpowerpoles/>

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »

Anderson powerpoles are the connectors used in battery type pallet jacks and load lifters.  

What you want, however is going to push that battery set to the limit.  100 amps into an inverter?

Check the wire gauge into the inverter itself, and if the connection is a terminal setup, check the recommended wire gauge in the users manual.  For a run of a couple of feet like you are looking at, the gauge wire stated in the manual will work fine.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: