Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wives on Ham Radio  (Read 3112 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »

Good point.  Brand new CBs are only around $25 bucks on Amazon.com.
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2007, 08:40:38 PM »

"And your dog could sign /D..."

Just give him a K9 call.
KE4CTX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2007, 07:27:19 PM »

How about the MURS radio service? I'm considering it for general purpose friends/family/business communications. There is no license required. The band is very quiet around here. MURS allows 2 watt communications on VHF frequencies. I believe MURS also allows external antennas up to 60 ft high. It would give you the ability for fairly decent range simplex communications. It looks like the biggest problem with MURS is finding new radios that are approved for MURS.

A second option is GMRS license, isn't it?  
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »

You're better off with a CB.  Pick up a cheap one and throw up a dipole or an A-99.  You can also use the A-99 on 10, 12, and 17 meters as well.  A SSB CB will give you very surprising range.
DA2KI

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 11:07:15 AM »

This question sounds related to one submitted to the "Rules & Regs" column in World Radio magazine several years ago (March 2004).  The question was:

Q.  We have a Ham in this area who has been signing, "(his call sign) mobile to base".  Then his XYL answers, "(same call sign) base."  Isn't it proper to tell them that there are no mobiles and bases in ham radio, or is this something new?

I could not believe it!  And the guy was wondering if they should question the "mobile/base" thing!  It would be proper to have the repeater custodian order both of them off the repeater until which time the wife has a license!  I would also notify the FCC of the unlicensed operation, since the wife never gave a call sign of her own.  It was obviously a scam - but I was surprised no one immediately challenged his wife to produce HER license.  This bootleg operation should have been shut down the first time it was heard over the air!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 11:19:21 PM »

We had a similar situation like that in my area.  A young YL with a super sexy sounding voice was chatting away with no call sign.  Did she get repremanded?  Hell no!  The only advice I heard given to her over the air was: "Why don't you come on by my shack hun and I'll teach you about the rules and show you my equipment"!!
MOTOR486

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 08:49:30 PM »

My wife has no real interest in amateur radio. I decided to teach a Tech class, primarily for CERT members in the community. I didn't expect my wife to join the class, but she did (I have wanted her to get her license so that we could communicate after something like a hurricane.)

She takes her test this Saturday and I'm sure that she'll pass it. She won't use the radio unless she needs to. If she needs to get ahold of me otherwise she'll call on the phone. In retrospect, after hurricanes Katrina and Wilma, when our power and phones were out for days, she sees a need for alternate comms. No more, no less. She especially has no interest in HF or CW. Good for me.... hi hi.

Rob
AJ4SB
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 04:10:36 AM »

Cell phones got the wives off of the repeater autopatches. Now you want to get them back on? Lets just limit ham radio to those who appreciate it.
KT1F

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 04:19:39 AM »

Would it cover same sex marriages or civil unions? What would happen if they were mobile in a state that doesn't recognize their relationship? What /? suffix would they use?

What about couples who have lived together for years but are not actually married?

What about married but separated couples?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 05:01:35 AM »

Just give him a K9 call
----------------------------
Humm, I wonder if K9DOG is available as a vanity call?
N0EQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

W4DL wrote:
" Ever have the pleasure of listening to a husband-wife qso tying up a repeater? What corner for the new couch? Aunt Sally's apple pie...spare me any more of that non ham radio nonsense. BAD IDEA and against what little regs we have left. "

I don't think the idea of a spouse or SO using
radio on the "other half's" license is a good
idea at all.

But I'd be interested to hear which ham
conversations you feel are more important than
where to put the couch or Aunt Sally's pies.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 01:28:53 PM »

AA4PB

It's already taken....  check the ULS database

Ed, KD0BKH
HFRF

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »

I watch NFL game, see woman in locker room, watch baseball, see woman in locker room, watch local news sports, all I see are woman, I need a place to go where I don't see nor hear screeching, high pitch females.

If more females get into ham radio there will have to be rule something like 5 seconds on, 2 days off duty cycle.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »

hi,

only if they drop drivers license first.

73 james
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 07:11:07 PM »

HFRF - my XYL happened to be reading over my shoulder and saw your comments.  I won't repeat what she said, but I got in trouble just for laughing at your comment!  LOL
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: