Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The World Trade Center and Pentagon Attacks  (Read 4370 times)
KM5EW

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2001, 12:52:26 AM »

The events of today should now make a lot of us realize how important ARES, RACES, SKYWARN, and even REACT groups are when it concerns immediate emergency communications that are needed in the disaster area. If any of you were not for sure how these groups could help, you know now. All you had to do today was monitor everywhere and hear what was going on.

I listened in most of the day at the Bell County (Texas) EOC today and heard hams doing what they do best: providing emergency communications wherever they are needed. To those doing that, I salute you! But the need becomes greater in the coming days. Are we up to the challenge? I think so.

But, I also heard the dark side of amateur radio tonight. On 14.265, the SATERN Emergency Net had been in operation all day. At about 0145 UTC, two hams, one from the US and one from Barbados, tried to make the emergency net CHANGE FREQUENCY because their net was being interfered with on 14.267. I don't know about you, but I strongly feel that those actions were extremely selfish and callous, and that those two hams needed to move themselves. Who cares if their little group had met there for 25 years??? When an emergency net is in progress, give leeway to the net and GET OUT OF THE WAY, or better yet, HELP THEM OUT!

I know I'll see some flames on this, but I will take the stance this way: If you support those two hams that wanted an emergency net to change frequency because of QRM to their stupid little net, you are just as much in the wrong as they are. Anyhow, my DELETE button works just fine.

Warren Rowe / KM5EW
Florence, Texas
OK1FOU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2001, 02:10:43 PM »

Hello,

I am interested in getting some more info about how
RACES or ARES is organized because there is nothing
like that in my country, although we have got some
good operators willing to help and good coverage by
FM repeaters.

Is there any introductory text to be found on the web?

Sorry, this is maybe not the best time to ask, when
everything is upside down... It's just a coincidence
I have been looking for some info for a few weeks.

73 Jindra OK1FOU
KM5EW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2001, 11:38:13 PM »

A good place to start would be the ARRL's site at <http://www.arrl.org>, for the ARRL sponsors ARES. Also, check out the Bell County ARES home page at <http://www.beltazar.com/ares> and see some of what we do!

If you would like to know even more about how we do things in Bell County, Texas, email me at <km5ew@arrl.net> and I'll explain it all to you.

Warren Rowe / KM5EW
Bell County (Texas) ARES
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2001, 09:49:28 AM »

Virginia RACES will be conducting a Basic Operator Course on Saturday, November 10, 2001 in Franklin, VA.

Preregistration for this FREE training session is limited to the room capacity of 100.  Virginia RACES members from  anywhere in the state are welcome, as are emergency managers, ARES , RACES, CERT, REACT and Skywarn leadership and officials from surrounding states.

The session program and preregistration form will soon be listed on the Virginia RACES web site located at http://www.racesva.org

The recently updated Terrorism Awareness training module will be presented.  Emergency management officials and training coordinators from other states may request a copy of the PowerPoint program direct from me, so that they may incorporate local-specific information.  Others will be directed to a link to the ipli.com web site where the program will soon be accessible in their security and safety section.

73 de KE4SKY
Virginia State RACES Training Officer
ed.harris@co.fairfax.va.us

AB5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2001, 11:07:08 AM »

I am the one who suggested this topic be started. My goal in doing so was to raise the issue of Ham communications networks...and the need to build a totally new system in light of recent events. The packet system has fallen into disfavor, and there is no other system which does what the packet system was supposed to. I propose the following:

A new Microwave an UHF based digital network
Including:
High-speed microwave backbone
VHF local "dumps"
Auto-routing
Spread-Spectrum
Redundant
Solar powered
Hardware, software and operational layers all
designed with emergency service in mind

A new volunteer group of amateurs could be organized around a web-site, devoted to designing and constructing this new system. Local Amateur clubs could foot the bill for the Microwave backbones - to the next club's port. Weather data could be flowed over the network as a place holder -until it was pressed into emergency service.

We have a chance to really shine here...and we also need to earn our keep as far as spectrum users.
This could give the Amateur service the shot in the arm it needs -using a disaster as an impetus to improve our service to the USA. What do you'all think?   73's Bob AB5N
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2001, 06:54:23 PM »

This week the Virginia RACES Training Page has been updated and revised to speed access.  All of the training modules are now available for FREE download in Adobe Arcobat 5.0 format.  You need to have the Acrobat 5.0 viewer, but this enables more users to access the site at once, reduces the file sizes and speeds up downloads.

If you don't have Acrobat 5.0 you can download it free from our server, without having to answer the probing questions which Adobe asks of you when you request it from their site.  All files are screened with Norton Anti-Virus and available to ARES, RACES, REACT, ACS, Skywarn, Red Cross, CERT, Neighborhood Watch and other community service groups.  

Complete classroom teaching materials are available on CD Rom in PowerPoint complete with speaker notes and testing instruments also FREE upon request by ARES / RACES training coordinators, public safety, state and local government and private disaster relief organizations.

Even if you are not active in amateur radio, you are urged to download the important information on terrorism awareness and fire safety.  This is VITAL safety information everyone should become familiar with.  The URL is

http://www/racesva.org/Training/training.html

73 de KE4SKY
Virginia State RACES Training Officer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: