Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RACES vs. ARES  (Read 2402 times)
STILLSTUDYING

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2003, 11:20:59 AM »

From what my friend tells me, in Pittsburgh, the Allegheny County chapter of ARES is also registered with RACES.  While they do many public service functions, in times of disaster, they will work with anyone who needs their help, (ARC, SA)but they primarily will work with county emergency management.  This is how their person in charge explained it to me.
KK7UE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2003, 11:48:08 PM »

RE k2gw: This is the way we are doing it in Oregon also. Basic training in ARES, RACES when and if it becomes necessary. Too bad I have to leave the program to chase the almighty dollar. I will miss it sorely. See QRZ bio for details (sorry eham!) de kk7ue
K2GW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »

>>Here's the precise citation. It doesn't match 100%, but the point is the same: if an amateur radio station is not registered with RACES or the specific civil defense organization, RACES stations can't legally communicate with it.

Precisely, but only when you choose to activate and operate under the more restrictive RACES subpart of the Part 97 rules.  There's never a real reason to ever do so except when the President decides to suspend normal Amateur Radio operations.  This have never been done since RACES was started fifty years ago despite four wars.

That is why ONE combined Amateur Radio "EmComm" organization is now the recommended way to go.  Since each and every member ham is then registered with RACES, ARES and Skywarn, there's never a problem with it.  Most of the county ARES EC's in our section are also their respective county OEM's RACES officers.

See my previous post, the ARRL Public Service Manual or the AECCC courses for further details on how this works

Gary Wilson, K2GW
SNJ SEC
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2003, 02:08:43 PM »

HI Gary,

I don't know about NJ, but in NC by usin'
RACES you are able to take advantage of the
State's Tort Claims act and covered by
Worker's Comp should they be needed.
We have some counties in the Section that use RACES all the time and some none of the time and some in between.

BTW, there have been ZERO wars since
RACES started.  There have been two
UN Chapter 7 Police Actions (Korea
and Kuwait), a low intensity conflict
(RVN, although, at times, I must admit it
did not seem low to me :-) ), and several
operations (Grenada, Panama, Iraq, Afghanistan,
etc).

73 de Ronnie

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: