Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 87888 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »

Can't wait to attend one.  This year, if all goes well.  I'm used to improptu flea markets.  Had plenty in CA with porta potties and dirt, mud, and parking lot issues.

As for the manufacturers, I can find their ads in QST or via the vendor sites on the Internet.  So, I don't care about what's in the ballroom.  Market-de-Fleas for me.

Sounds as though the critics never attended county or state fairs and walked through the midways.  Or, stepped on horse pucky in the livestock exhibits.  What the heck....
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »

Can't wait to attend one.  This year, if all goes well.  I'm used to improptu flea markets.  Had plenty in CA with porta potties and dirt, mud, and parking lot issues.

As for the manufacturers, I can find their ads in QST or via the vendor sites on the Internet.  So, I don't care about what's in the ballroom.  Market-de-Fleas for me.

Sounds as though the critics never attended county or state fairs and walked through the midways.  Or, stepped on horse pucky in the livestock exhibits.  What the heck....

I could not have said it better myself! 
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »

Well if you don't mind steppin in manure, then the facilities at Hara should be just fine. There are barnyards full of dairy cows here in WI that are in better shape then Hara's rest rooms.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »

Well if you don't mind steppin in manure, then the facilities at Hara should be just fine. There are barnyards full of dairy cows here in WI that are in better shape then Hara's rest rooms.

I agree the restrooms in the main arena area can SOMETIMES be a bit nasty.  However, if you look hard enough, there are many other facilities which are MUCH Nicer and LESS Crowded in other areas of the Hara Arena complex.  And..... I am not talking about the porta-potties in the flea market area.  Also, The sewage issue in the flea market area, that everyone keeps bringing up, happened at least two or three years ago and could not have been predicted.  Unexpected events like that happen EVERYDAY, somewhere or another.

I've been attending HAMvention since 1975 and plan to be there again this year. 

Bottom Line:  Warts and All, there is STILL NO BETTER Ham Radio Event ANYWHERE! 
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »

Been to the Illinois State Fair in Springfield about a half dozen times.  Never had a problem with equine or bovine excrement.  The Fair does a GREAT job of keeping the grounds neat and clean.

Of course, since it's Springfield, the principal problem is the two-legged dispensers of taurine excrement.

N9LCD

Grin   
PBPP

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2014, 11:34:04 PM »

Apples and Oranges. 
BIG difference between walking through human fecal matter and animal manure.  Roll Eyes
I'm happy to shovel cow manure but you won't see me working inside a septic tank.

~ Mitch ~
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2014, 04:59:17 AM »

As someone mentioned earlier, there were only two incidents that I can remember in the last 15 years that involved human fecal slurry.  The other incident involved overflowing porta-johns placed inside the fleamarket area.  I never saw a bunch of people scatter so quickly when they realized the trickle running across the lot didn't come from a dumped ice chest.  It was hot, and the stench was overpowering.  It's up my nose forever just as the odor of smoldering charcoal and lighter fluid from the concession stand is. You'll notice that they are now place well away from the parking lot out in the grass. But it reflects the overall dilapidated state of the entire site.  Years ago, people could pull a wagon or wheeled shopping basket along the aisles.  Now it looks like the lot has been carpet bombed. Where there is no potholes, there's the material from the holes.  Carts, wagons, and the like get hung up on gravel and stones.  We sit in our spot and joke that the equipment riding in the pull behind is getting the most severe vibration test of its old life.  People inadvertently kick stones across the lot which smack into equipment or other people.  It's really a mess.

W6EM mentions that perhaps the critics never attended county or state fairs and walked through the midways.  Unless you've attended Hamvention, stood in line in a humid unairconditioned dilapidated bathroom with a bunch of sweaty, smelly guys, walked the cratered parking lot, and the dismal, grimy  exhibition areas you can't appreciate just how bad it really is.  I attend a country fair each year for many years.  It's clean and tidy.  The animal exhibition area is continually maintained.  I dare say the animals being shown are perhaps cleaner than many of the attendees.  But there's one other thing.  When I go to this fair, I have just enough money for food and some trinkets.  I don't have a wad of bills in my front pocket that represents my entire year's budget for amateur radio; a new transceiver, an HF amplifier; rotator, antenna, etc.  Do I want to do some serious shopping in an crappy environment like this?  For this year at least, the answer is "No".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:10:24 AM by K3GM » Logged
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »

I agree with all the comments, from both sides of the isle.
It's quite true, the Hara is pretty rough. outdated, smelly and generally uncomfortable.
I really think that if the club had a better place to go, they would have been there years ago.
The simple fact is that there is nothing remotely close that would suffice.
This is after all THEIR show.

A few bucks to fix the tailgate area would be money well spent, what a mess.
As has been noted before, the club has a pretty significant cash positive balance, it would
seem prudent to spend a small portion of that to keep the Hamvention the premier amateur
radio event. Lets be honest, the simple fact is that nothing comes close to Dayton...  At least not
stateside.   
N8GD

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2014, 08:42:22 AM »

I have attended Hamvention since 1978 (before I was licensed - I put my CB call on the ticket stub, but I got my Ham ticket a month after Dayton that year!).  I don't think the facilities are much worse now than they were back then, 36 years ago, with the possible exception of the parking lot/flea market area, which is a mess.  As was mentioned much earlier in this thread, you aren't going to uproot the human infrastructure of one of Dayton's oldest conventions, take it out of town, and still make it work.  A few years back the Hamvention committee farmed the operation of the show out to a professional management outfit, and after several years, and a lot of complaints later, DARA took it over again.  It seems that Hams know best how to treat other Hams and run a Hamfest!  Besides, what other kind of facility would permit use of their parking lot area as a flea market?  Hardly any, I think.  As for the restroom facilities, I would venture that even in a more modern venue, the sheer number of attendees would put a strain on any facility's sanitary facilities, not just Hara's.  I will continue to attend and overlook the problems of the facilities and enjoy the wonders of Amateur Radio in all their glory.  Hey, at least it isn't 50% a computer show anymore!

Greg - N8GD
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2014, 04:42:58 AM »

[...] Besides, what other kind of facility would permit use of their parking lot area as a flea market?  Hardly any, I think.  As for the restroom facilities, I would venture that even in a more modern venue, the sheer number of attendees would put a strain on any facility's sanitary facilities, not just Hara's.  [...]

I think perhaps hams need to get out a bit more...  there's a whole world out there where people can tailgate in parking lots and still the toilets flush...  just saying'

KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Today at 08:20:20 AM »

Been to the Illinois State Fair in Springfield about a half dozen times.  Never had a problem with equine or bovine excrement.  The Fair does a GREAT job of keeping the grounds neat and clean.

Of course, since it's Springfield, the principal problem is the two-legged dispensers of taurine excrement.

N9LCD

Grin   

OH I LOVE IT!!! I totally agree! On both points. Wife and I went to see Styx and REO Speedwagon last year and the grounds and the stables are always prestine for a fair. (We are in Bloomington) plan on going to see Boston this year. As far as the 2 legged farm animals, we get what we elect. (not me of course!!)

Went to Dayton for the first time last year and loved it. This year am back but a day early to ride a bike trail that is very close to the state park I camp at! See you there. Got a bunch from our club going. 73!

Jeff
KC9QQM
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: