The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamvention has a new home!  (Read 31406 times)
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:35 AM »

[..] I don't know what the Hamcation attendance is, on average.  Probably half of what Hamvention is. [...] OTOH, if Hamcation becomes a superior venue from repeated Hamvention site disappointments, guess what?  See Yah.  Just think about where Hamcation is held..........and what's close by.

Are there any major vendors who currently work Hamvention but do not work Hamcation?  If (when) Hamvention tanks, are the any vendors who would not make the shift and begin working Hamcation instead?

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

[..] I don't know what the Hamcation attendance is, on average.  Probably half of what Hamvention is. [...] OTOH, if Hamcation becomes a superior venue from repeated Hamvention site disappointments, guess what?  See Yah.  Just think about where Hamcation is held..........and what's close by.

Are there any major vendors who currently work Hamvention but do not work Hamcation?  If (when) Hamvention tanks, are the any vendors who would not make the shift and begin working Hamcation instead?

http://www.hamcation.com/?page_id=725

Looks like many vendors do not come to Hamcation. 

N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »

Bottom line is... is it about the venue or is it about the people you go to meet, the equipment you go to see/buy/sell? The choice is yours. It is, after all, what you make of it. I have never been able to go there, but it sounds like fun. Go and have a ball!  Cheesy

Will Rogers
K5WLR

This is an excellent point.
The venue is one thing.
But the people you go to meet is the big thing.
I see people at hamvention that I only see once a year anymore.
People I used to work with, or guys I went to school with, stuff like that.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2016, 05:44:49 PM »

[..] I don't know what the Hamcation attendance is, on average.  Probably half of what Hamvention is. [...] OTOH, if Hamcation becomes a superior venue from repeated Hamvention site disappointments, guess what?  See Yah.  Just think about where Hamcation is held..........and what's close by.

Are there any major vendors who currently work Hamvention but do not work Hamcation?  If (when) Hamvention tanks, are the any vendors who would not make the shift and begin working Hamcation instead?

http://www.hamcation.com/?page_id=725

Looks like many vendors do not come to Hamcation.  

And, a good many that are on the Hamvention List don't exactly fit amateur radio.......  And, should clubs be on a vendor list?
http://pcboard.ca/hamvention2016/indoor_vendors.php

Fixed my error as I clipped the wrong link.  Somehow, I pasted Hamcation instead of Hamvention.  Same general verdict for both.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:34:46 PM by W6EM » Logged
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2016, 03:36:07 AM »

And, a good many that are on the Hamvention List don't exactly fit amateur radio.......  And, should clubs be on a vendor list?
http://www.hamcation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Vendors-list-2016-v7.pdf

Using your logic, then dara should not be able to have a booth at Friedrichshafen, nor Tokoyo Ham Fair, either, correct? 

There have been many booths at hara in past years that "didn't exactly fit amateur radio."   One of which was "lock pick sets."   Someone buys a set, and starts robbing houses in Leeds, Alabama.   When police find the guy, he tells them he bought the pick set at the Dayton Hamvention.   

How about someone in the flea market selling red/blue lights.   Is dara "encouraging" people to buy them so they can impersonate a police officier?   I can see it now.  Young woman gets pulled over by a "police officer," gets raped and killed.  When they find the guy responsible, they ask him where he got the lights.  "I bought them at the Dayton hamvention."   If I were the parents, I would SUE dara for that.   

Are guns not ham radio related?   No?  Then why have I seen them out in the flea market - for sale?   

And the flea market rules state that dara can "remove anyone for selling non-related amateur radio equipment."   Maybe dara should start enforcing their own rules rather than putting blinders on and counting the money that they get from people selling stuff that "doesn't exactly fit amateur radio." 

Maybe in 2017, we'll see less Motorola HTs from the 1980s with a multi-auto charging unit, three phase lasers, and other garbage that should have gone in a dumpster 20 years ago, and more stuff that "fits amateur radio."

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Yesterday at 08:41:14 PM »

And, a good many that are on the Hamvention List don't exactly fit amateur radio.......  And, should clubs be on a vendor list?
http://www.hamcation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Vendors-list-2016-v7.pdf

Using your logic, then dara should not be able to have a booth at Friedrichshafen, nor Tokoyo Ham Fair, either, correct? 

There have been many booths at hara in past years that "didn't exactly fit amateur radio."   One of which was "lock pick sets."   Someone buys a set, and starts robbing houses in Leeds, Alabama.   When police find the guy, he tells them he bought the pick set at the Dayton Hamvention.   

How about someone in the flea market selling red/blue lights.   Is dara "encouraging" people to buy them so they can impersonate a police officier?   I can see it now.  Young woman gets pulled over by a "police officer," gets raped and killed.  When they find the guy responsible, they ask him where he got the lights.  "I bought them at the Dayton hamvention."   If I were the parents, I would SUE dara for that.   

Are guns not ham radio related?   No?  Then why have I seen them out in the flea market - for sale?   

And the flea market rules state that dara can "remove anyone for selling non-related amateur radio equipment."   Maybe dara should start enforcing their own rules rather than putting blinders on and counting the money that they get from people selling stuff that "doesn't exactly fit amateur radio." 

Maybe in 2017, we'll see less Motorola HTs from the 1980s with a multi-auto charging unit, three phase lasers, and other garbage that should have gone in a dumpster 20 years ago, and more stuff that "fits amateur radio."

My point wasn't to deny those who wish to pay for space at either.  Just that the comment about Hamvention having many more amateur vendors seemed a tad off the mark.  And, where responsible adults buy widgets should be no one's business, really.  Unless, of course, it's a controlled substance or firearm or such.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Today at 12:20:17 AM »

Every ham radio event has vendors selling equipment that has nothing to do with our hobby and I do not have a problem with this. From memory I saw the following this year at the Friedrichshafen show:

1) Multiple stands selling old tube radios

2) A stand showcasing Enigma and the work at Bletchley Park

3) A Maker Fair occupying most of one hall.

4) T-shirts

5) A stand in Hall A selling insurance

6) Food, lots of food, so much food!

It's a bit of variety and variety is good.

Peter DL8OV
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: