Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 269555 times)
WB8PFZ

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »

My biggest complaint is having to park across the street. Can they eliminate the empty vendor spots, consolidate the flea market and let everyone park in the arena lot? That would make buying heavy purchases a lot less painful.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »

My biggest complaint is having to park across the street. Can they eliminate the empty vendor spots, consolidate the flea market and let everyone park in the arena lot? That would make buying heavy purchases a lot less painful.

HAMvention offers a merchandise pickup area, right at the arena complex, where you take your heavy purchases, get a vehicle pass, then bring your car in to get the items.  That sure beats lugging your newly acquired boatanchors several blocks or on the busses.  As for parking, I have found the remote lot at the ex-Salem Mall is the most convenient way, and least congested way to come and go to the Hara Facility.  This sure beats parking across the street in the (possibly muddy) fields.  If it rains, and you get stuck there, you are at the mercy of expensive tow trucks to extricate your vehicle!  I've seen it happen! 

Tom, KR4BD
Attending HAMvention since 1975
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: March 14, 2015, 04:48:09 AM »

You can get a 3 day bus pass and park at the Salem parking lot  it is cheap and easy ( the just way I like it ) plenty of parking and no mud.  I parked once or twice at the muddy lot across the street,and it was not fun  that was back when they used to have the event in April
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »

Getting the bus pass and parking at Salem Mall is definitely the way to go.
The parking at the mall is free, and if I remember right, a bus pass good for
unlimited shuttle trips to and from the arena for the entire hamvention is $8.
Buses are air conditioned, and run very every few minutes.
They also pull right in to the arena lot to drop you off only a few steps from the front door.
When you return to the mall parking, there are people driving golf carts to take
you right to your car if you want.

In comparison, parking in the muddy field, and trying to walk across that busy road
seems insane by comparison.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
WB8PFZ

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »

Why should we be talking about ways to solve the parking problem when all they need to do is restructure the swap area.  Good Grief.
G6GIY

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: March 23, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »

I think they should take a close look at the flea market area . I am convinced that several "traders" are using it as a car park for the 3 days. It is like getting a VIP ticket for the show for 3 days,free parking and no waiting for jobs worths to open the show at 8am.
  So buy a ticket for the bus $8 and $25 for the show or buy a spot on the flea market for $70 and sell $30 worth of junk and get access to all the bargains while the punters are in a line outside.    
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:14:19 AM by G6GIY » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »

I don't think anyone would argue with you there, Phil.  Three of us friends have been tailgating there for over a decade. In the years gone by where you got the same space year after year, we'd have the same SUV parked next to us every year where we'd see the guy maybe a couple times a day. When we first started attending Hamvention, we'd ride the bus, then we moved to the field across the road, then we got the bright idea to split the cost of a fleamarket spot.  Doing that once sold us on the idea.  We'd take turns throughout the days minding our table with the truck parked behind it.  But even I'll admit there were times when no one would be minding the store and we were all out shopping.  A tailgate space is great provided you have the entire day to stay in the lot.  You can drop stuff off, have lunch, take a nap with the seat down, or just sit in a folding chair and watch the Hamvention sights go by.  There are years when I've sold enough of my cast-off gear to underwrite a new HF radio.  Then there are years when I may bring just a couple of amateur radio related tchotchkes to justify my presence in the lot.  That's just the way it is.

Years ago, there was a waiting list for a fleamarket spot.  Back then, a space being used for only parking might have frowned upon.  But as time has gone by, the flea market sellers have slowly dwindled, and revenue has declined.  I'm sure that now, DARA really doesn't care what the space is being used for; a buck is a buck.  Almost half the lot now sits empty. That could be used for "premium parking" and pre-sold ahead of the Hamvention at the same price as a flea market space.  Then the actual sellers could be moved onto the eastern half of the lot behind the buildings, and those that use the flea market as a great parking space could come clean and be moved to the western half, the half that now for the most part sits vacant.  To me is seems like a win/win.

I might be going out on a limb here, but as I walked around the lot in recent years, there are fewer and fewer finds and more and more junk.  The Drake R4C in pristine condition that I longed for a decade ago, but could never seem to make a deal on can now be found in a dozen spots, and to me is now just an old radio.  Having the truck in the lot enables me to look for big things like a half disassembled HF yagi, or spools of Heliax that have sat on a trailer all weekend, and whose owner is about to schlep them back home. Most of the time they'll part with it for a small percentage of what they were originally asking for it.  So using the fleamarket as a primo parking space at one time might have been a dirty little secret, but looking around now, that's no longer the case.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:35:22 AM by K3GM » Logged
WB8PFZ

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »

Amen
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »

Because I'm only 80 years young!!! Grin

73, Russ
KD8ZYH

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Yesterday at 06:58:04 AM »

My 13 yr. old grandson and I are both new hams. We're going down there on a bus full of others who have been going for years, and all share the same enthusiasm for the event.
We're really looking forward to it
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: