Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 222488 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »

There have been a couple of  times when we headed to Dayton and wound up going to Mendelson's instead . Once we loaded up at Mendelson's we went to lunch and headed back home . Those were a couple of the best Dayton trips lately .
 Mendelson's is open year round and they keep the place in good shape . Parking is close and free , the buyer's cars are in the parking lot , not the sales area , functional restrooms and the inside is very clean . No smoke from smoldering scrap wood  burning rotting hog flesh and no raw sewage .  You can go inside for free . Best part is you don't have to deal with D.A.R.A. .

A great old-format surplus store.  Most things not priced.  The Wire Department was most impressive.  Rows dedicated to each AWG size.

I'll be going back to Dayton to visit our daughter and her family.  One time to the Hamfest was good enough for me, but many more visits to Mendelson's are definitely on the agenda.  Then-again, I'm an old parts-junkie.

Lee
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2014, 10:22:16 PM »

Glen and others.  I am not defending the facility.  I have been to Dayton many times (worked for NCR for 25 years)  I know the facility.  On the other hand, do you think the folks at D.A.R.A. do not know what the facility is like?  Do you think they haven't looked for others?  Do you think they wouldn't go somewhere else if it were feasible to do so?  I do understand what you are saying but there doesn't appear to be any feasible alternatives.  So unless someone has a solution to the issues, what positive can possible be served by the ongoing and continuing bitching about the facility? 

I go back to my original post. I challenge the arm chair quarterbacks (probably the ones who are riding around on the scooters) to put their fat butts to work finding a solution.  I have heard it said that Columbus and Cincinnati should be considered.  Maybe so, but for some reason D.A.R.A. has determined that it is not feasible to do so or maybe it is just a case in which they don't want to move it out of Dayton because they feel a tie to the community.  Whatever!  If Cincinnati or Columbus are great, then I challenge the clubs in those areas to put together a proposal and start negotiating with the ham vendors.  Let's get some competition going and take the convention away from Dayton.  After all, that is the American way, you know - build a better mouse trap or in this case, present a better convention proposal, and the world will beat a path to your door.

Put up or shut up!   

The Leftist Teacher Syndrome:

"If you can't do it better, don't blame others for doing it badly. Don't Question if it should be done at all"

"Don't blame your classmates for being retards, they are the same species as you!"

"I hope you have brought enough for everyone!"

This is not just the U.S. The public schools of my country have also been spoiled by this PC Pinky Inferiority Complex.. :-(
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »

The Leftist Teacher Syndrome:

"If you can't do it better, don't blame others for doing it badly. Don't Question if it should be done at all"

"Don't blame your classmates for being retards, they are the same species as you!"

"I hope you have brought enough for everyone!"

This is not just the U.S. The public schools of my country have also been spoiled by this PC Pinky Inferiority Complex.. :-(

Stay away from the drugs dude.....  Angry

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
MM0IMC

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »

Legions of smelly obese hams on scooters....just the thing to show off America's premiere ham radio event to the world.  I saw one guy even try taking the hill (the shaded steep grassy area just outside the building) on his scooter.  He made it up 6 or so feet before his scooter protested the 450 pound load, and came tumbling back down.  He just laid on the pavement like a beached whale.  When the EMT pulled up in his Gator, he got out and stood over the beauty sprawled out and just asked: "alright Hoss, what's going on?"

Was that per a$$ cheek? Cheesy
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: December 12, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »

And the beat goes on....

http://www.arrl.org/news/financial-woes-reported-at-dayton-hamvention-venue-hara-arena

K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »

Having an outside company come in to manage (and possibly renovate) the Hara Arena might be a good thing, but I can see admission prices taking a sizable jump upwards.  The management company has to get their share...
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »

Well after reading this thread, Dayton is off of my list of things to do.
If they do fix it up and it gets glowing reports after the next convention then I might reconsider, but for now I am not going to subject myself to the things that you guys have described.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »

Why would anyone presume the Dayton Amateur Radio Association would consider to move their sponsored event out of Dayton for any reason?
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2014, 03:07:25 AM »

Why would anyone presume the Dayton Amateur Radio Association would consider to move their sponsored event out of Dayton for any reason?

Why would anyone consider the Hamvention to be a world class event when it is held in such a dump as Hara?
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »

First and last for me since our daughter and family leave Dayton in March.  I'll really miss Mendelsons the most.

With $34M revenue and a staff of 12, at maybe $50K (generous) each, plenty of profit left after their taxes, insurance and utilities.

I don't like the League's spin, implying that the Wamplers are hurting for funds, when they clearly aren't.
W0TLC

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Yesterday at 10:14:19 AM »

It is a shame that the venue at Dayton has to be such a pig pen. I had the misfortune of attending Dayton while working for a manufacturer. I would never return to Hara.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: