The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamvention 2017 Update  (Read 4801 times)
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 12:48:20 PM »

Well, like JX, I'm an "old school 20WPM Extra" too. Although probably not as "old school" as he is, since he's been licensed longer than I have. I did take my Extra exam at a VE session,

I also took my Extra at a VE session, but it was in 1993. So am I old school or new school?

That depends. What did you do before 1993?

;-)

I was a "No Code Tech" and then became a "Tech Plus" in 1992.   Cool

Not sure. You're kind of in the middle.
But you almost qualify for QCWA, so that's something.

;-)

W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Today at 02:58:54 AM »

"Ham radio is dying? Not if I have anything to say or do about it!"

hummm...
My wife is friends with the person who organizes "Preperfest" here in Columbus.  She know I am a amateur radio operator and asked me to do an introduction to Amateur Radio and how to obtain a license.
Most of the questions were asked by people who already had cheap VHF/UHF gear who asked, "I scan and scan and scan but I never hear anything, why get a license if there is no one to talk to?"

Carl - W9PMZ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:33:39 AM »

Ham radio is dying? Not if I have anything to say or do about it!

You cannot stop it. It is becoming the new CB radio made possible when they relaxed rules for some quick profits. Listen to bands today vs 25 or more years ago and it is very obvious. What was ham radio in operator knowledge, operating practices and etiquette/professionalism is dying. The new CB radio is taking its place was made possible by making it so easy to get a ticket and limited only by you pocket book on how much power you run because FCC has long been defunded for any serious enforcement and relies on honor system. Sure there may still be activity on bands but they will one day fully become modern CB bands with mail order CB Extra class tickets and concept that ham was built on nearly a century ago and those old school old timers will be gone and with it ham radio. The end of a era.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:54:23 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Today at 09:06:55 AM »

Ham radio is dying? Not if I have anything to say or do about it!

You cannot stop it. It is becoming the new CB radio made possible when they relaxed rules for some quick profits. Listen to bands today vs 25 or more years ago and it is very obvious. What was ham radio in operator knowledge, operating practices and etiquette/professionalism is dying. The new CB radio is taking its place was made possible by making it so easy to get a ticket and limited only by you pocket book on how much power you run because FCC has long been defunded for any serious enforcement and relies on honor system. Sure there may still be activity on bands but they will one day fully become modern CB bands with mail order CB Extra class tickets and concept that ham was built on nearly a century ago and those old school old timers will be gone and with it ham radio. The end of a era.

And will you be cancelling your license early to avoid the rush?
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Today at 09:22:03 AM »

"Ham radio is dying? Not if I have anything to say or do about it!"

hummm...
My wife is friends with the person who organizes "Preperfest" here in Columbus.  She know I am a amateur radio operator and asked me to do an introduction to Amateur Radio and how to obtain a license.
Most of the questions were asked by people who already had cheap VHF/UHF gear who asked, "I scan and scan and scan but I never hear anything, why get a license if there is no one to talk to?"

Carl - W9PMZ

In my experience, preppers are probably not the best audience.
The ones I've talked with only want a cheap, ready to use tool that requires a minimum amount of effort on their part.

True radio amateurs do radio for the love of radio.
The word amateur literally means one who engages in an activity purely for the love of the activity.
It's that love of radio that fosters the desire for operator knowledge, the development of good operating practices, and adherence to etiquette/professionalism.
Someone in the past instilled that love of radio is us. Now it's our job to pass that along to the newcomers.
If we don't do that job, then the scenario that JX describes could indeed come to pass.
And that would be a sad day, indeed.

Because all the things he describes have certainly happened.
They HAVE made it ridiculously easy to get a ticket, and the FCC enforcement HAS been pretty much defunded.

I've been involved with three separate cases of tracking down a repeater jammer, and helping to gather the evidence to build the case.
When we do catch an offender and turn them over to the FCC, the FCC only prosecutes the case if we've done all the leg work up front.
But the penalty gets reduced by the DOJ to a mere slap on the wrist.
Something along the line of "oh the poor baby can't afford the $10,000 fine being imposed". So they reduce it down to like $300.

« Last Edit: Today at 09:26:18 AM by N8AUC » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Today at 10:20:02 AM »

And will you be cancelling your license early to avoid the rush?

No but you should as it might slow its death a little. When you have been at it for 48 years you see hobby and where it is going far different than new comers with rose colored glasses.  Just like the sheep for new Dayton barn yard hamfest.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:41:17 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: