The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Williams Arizona Hamfest  (Read 30321 times)
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »

Well, its back again.

The 2015 Williams Ham Fest is happening this Friday and Saturday, July 24th and 25th. I think there is also something going on on Sunday, but I don't remember. Mainly, I go for the swap meet.

I use to go to it when it was at Ft. Tuthill, even though it was a long drive from the Phoenix area. But when it moved to Williams, I stopped going. The extra time on the road turned me off. But in 2011, I retired and moved to Ash Fork, which is only 16 miles west of Williams. Now its a quick trip on the I-40. I usually head out right after I feed the horses and clean the stalls.

Its not the best but it gets a little better each year. Because Williams is pretty remote, many of the sellers come with travel trailers, 5th wheels, and motor homes and spend the night there starting on Thursday. So if you go early in the morning, like any good ham would do, you find that there is a lot of sellers not set up. Some are just enjoying the morning coffee, so you have to make the rounds a few times before you get to see everything.

KI7AQJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 01:17:51 PM »

I don't know why they have that in Williams. Aside from that ripoff train ride to the Grand Canyon, there is nothing there. I'll drive out the the Colorado River at Quartzite and do Quartzfest, but Williams. What a letdown! It did okay the first couple yeast, but lately, every year, it just gets more lame. The train ride is also pretty lame. No scenery, the hokey fake train robbery, and the real robbery, when you buy your tickets. Verde Valley has a nicer scenic railroad, with actual scenery and the location halfway between Phoenix and Flagstaff, would actually make some sense, over the trekking all the way up to the nothing that is Williams. Camp Verde is not as cool, and up in the pines as Flagstaff, but it ain't frying your brains out down in Phoenix either. The so and sos would not let me run a generator overnight, despite the fact it is a very quiet Onan. I am already back in Phoenix, and have zero plans to return. Move it to Camp Verde or Payson, or  somewhere else, anywhere else. Summer is Arizona is devoid of ham fests & swap meets due to the heat. Payson is only 90 minutes away, throwing the speed limit aside, and making some time, otherwise, 2 hours or so. Williams? REALLY!?!?  Undecided  Meh!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 01:48:27 PM »

I liked the train ride up to the Grand Canyon, did it about 25 years ago. There is a campground at Williams, it had hayrides in the evenings back then. I'd say it's a great place to spend a couple of days on a family vacation, not so sure about a hamfest though.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: