Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS440 Help  (Read 1549 times)
GROZA05

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:25:07 AM »

I am an aspiring HF Operator and just bought a used Ts440.

Right out of the box I get the dots on the display..fixable I guess but also no audio reception.

Im just trying to fugure out if this unit is in basic working order or if was I dudped. I am only using a long wire for a rx antenna but Im getting nothing except some noise on FM mode. Is this normal for the unit without a 'proper' coaxial antenna installed or did I buy a boat anchor? I would expect to at least pick up some local stuff.

Any diagnostic advice appreciated.

Thanks

You may also email me directly: groza_05@yahoo.com

W2APE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:53:21 AM »

Go here. The information which you seek is in the archives.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

The problem is most likely related to humidity. If you have a dry air conditioned place to leave the radio for a few days it might start working by itself. I never would have believed this without seeing it myself.
GROZA05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 07:06:49 AM »

Thank you for the advice. Is that the jist of it..dry it, warm it up?  Im still waiting for admission to the user group.

Thanks

Marco
W2APE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 07:36:21 AM »

Hi Marco. Assuming that you have the most common cause of dots on the display, drying it out will only help in a marginal case. I've seen several of these rigs that had the dots problem and would work fine after a few hours of just being left on. It only takes a little heat to dry things out but it also takes time. You might try just leaving it turned on for a few days to see what happens but you will still need to remove the glue from the components in VCO-5. The TS-440 site explains it much better than I.
KE2EB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 09:35:38 AM »

hi Marco- i have a ts 440 s and also had this situation in the 'past'..I suggest > 'playing around' with the keypad scan /clr/enter buttons,,turning rig on es off few times,etc..also maybe low battery...>>but I have /Am still Using my 440..no battery Ever re in stalled..I do not Use
the key pad features..>>so maybe that is Why i am still lucky..with my 440 Rig?..Presently> still my #1(and Only!) hf rig Being Used to Date in My shack:)! I hope this is 'useful'..layman experience,Only..GL@73's!-ke2eb ghcall.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 12:42:02 PM »

Since when is the TS-440S a "boat anchor" or antique?  Geee... I'm feeling old about now, and so are a lot of my rigs.  My TS-430V is older than the TS-440S and I still don't consider it a boat anchor.

Caity
K7VO
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 06:56:52 PM »

Caity,
    To most kids going into college now, the TS-430 IS a boat anchor. As is the TenTec Omni-D, the FT-757G and others from the late 70's. And to think I loved the DX-60 I built.
Frank
KL7IPV
N7KRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 05:10:58 PM »

There are several reasons that this can happen to your 440. The two most common are related to VCOs not locking up properly, and if it only happens on one or two bands, it may be related to a shorted switching diode in the front end. Both are resolved with a little troubleshooting. Here is a link with step by steps for the VCO  problem...the same site also has info on other 440 problems and resolutions. Also, I believe that the Kenwood US site has some similar info in their tech bulletin links. Good luck...the radio can be repaired and will work well after you resolve the problem.

http://www.ham.dmz.ro/kenwood/ts-440s-possible-cure-for.php
N4RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 08:23:51 AM »

Just removed an old ts-440 from storage(humid area on the Georgia Coast) and having the aforementioned dots on 10 and 14 mhz when it comes on.  All other bands function fine.  Occasionally the readout will work but only about twice.  If you move the tuning know the frrequency displays but the rig doesnt work....
Again it works fine Xmit/Rx on all other bands but 20 and 30 meters.
Would it be best to send to the repair place or try fix it myself?
Anyone familar with a good shop to repair/turnaround/approx cost, etc?
Thanks for any info.
Val
N4RJ
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 05:27:27 PM »

There are subscribers (such as Bill, K0ZL) to the TS-440 Yahoo group that perform repairs.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

w9gb

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »

Bill Leahy from Colorado is a good resource -- he moderates the Yahoo Kenwood TS-440S group.  He also runs B&B Techncial Services
http://www.amateur-repairs.com/FULL_MONTE_INDEX.htm

Photos of FAQ from that Yahoo group
http://la6uoa.net/Manualer/Manualer%20for%20Kenwood%20440/TS440S%20Repair%20FAQ.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: