The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What? ARRL Petitions FCC to Expand Shortwave Privileges of Technician-Class Hams  (Read 11656 times)
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2018, 07:24:31 AM »

In many other countries the various ham license classes have the exact same frequency and mode privileges but are only separated by the amount of output power allowed.  They all seem to get along with each other and as there is more mixing between the classes there appears to be an enhanced sharing of knowledge.  The argument I have heard against this model is that it would be very difficult to enforce output violations by the lower class operators.  Maybe this is true but as applies to the US how easy is it to restrict lower class licensees from operating in higher class privilege band segments? What's to stop non licensed persons from bootlegging a legitimate call sign and operating anywhere? Is the FCC really listening and doesn't a part 97 violator really have to do something truly horrible to get the FCC's attention.  Maybe the operative word is class; high class, low class; sort of reminds us of the snooty attitudes that separate people in society at large.  I'm all for adopting the all frequencies/mode privileges license model and limiting output power by grade of license; it works quite well in most of the world. The age of class distinction exclusivity is coming to an end in the ham radio timeline.  We should all welcome the change one step at a time.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2018, 08:12:57 AM »

I think I might agree with you on the "difficult to enforce" model regarding only power level differences.  I think different classes of licenses need to be allowed different frequency privileges, as well as power restrictions.  A sort of carrot and stick approach.  If you do well, you get something in return for your work, if you don't then you see no change in your operating privileges.  If you are OK with just VHF/UHF, and some restricted Low Band privileges, then great, your are set for life with the current Technician license..

With regards to your band segment position-- It is a lot simpler to enforce if the operator uses correct call signs.  If however, someone pirates a call, there is no way to track that individual, save the FCC getting the global radio direction finding stations in the mix, and that is only close enough to get a local field office involved.  It is possible for locals to track the person, but that is an entirely different beast.  You would be surprised at how many Technician class operators there are in the 20 Meter FT8 segment. 

Respectfully, the class comment, for me, is a non sequitur here.  If someone gets their panties in a bunch over being called a Technician Class licensee, then they have a few choices, some of which are; get a higher class license, learn to accept it, or punch out the person calling you a No-Code Technician.  Each course of action has its own rewards and punishments... 

Changing the language to keep people from getting their feelings hurt is like giving participation trophies to the losers in a contest.  It diminishes the winners accomplishments as less than being a winner.  It is OK to be a Technician class licensee, if someone does not know this, and allows themselves to be harmed by being called that, then they need to change, not the language.  Sorry for my rant here, language changes for the sake of something other than increasing understanding hits nerve with me.

Hopefully the changes the ARRL has suggested to the FCC will be adopted quickly, it is a start, it may not be perfect, but I believe it is a step in the right direction.  Getting more licensees that make Amateur Radio a permanent hobby, is important.  I worry about the numbers of Amateur Radio operators in the US dropping precipitously over the next 20 years, and the affect that will have on things like spectrum management, and RFI enforcement, among many other issues.  Beyond that timeframe-- I won't care...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »

Getting your General ticket is a simple 35 question exam, am I missing something? If a technician is unwilling to study a little then maybe they should stay on 2 meters. I would like to see an extra super class license that requires schematics, troubleshooting and repair of modern transcievers- networking servers and rf physics- maybe 200 questions-  The Extra Supers would get more modulation bandwidth for more advanced highspeed digital packet modes- Give us no-code exrtas a bone...
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »

Just a voluntary upgrade that would allow a 20WPM to be attached to an extra license without having to go through a COLEM and then attach it via FRN.
No extra privileges
No extra bandwidth
No extra modes
Just an endorsement for code proficiency without having to go through a COLEM.

If it's just bragging rights you want then just that and no more.
This is actually a practical rant because numerous IARU countries still require code proficiency for a full reciprocal license.
At the present moment we have no way of proving code proficiency other than through association with our FRN through a commercial license .
Which is not recognized by ANY of the countries still requiring code proficiency for full reciprocity.
So the next time some Extra for life disciple of the Church of St Hiram trivializes my extra in a day (or 45 years depending on point of view)
I'll have to respond with " Go ahead and damn me for something I can do nothing about"

As it is I teach .
I volunteer
VE
Mentor
Elmer
I operate according to my own conscience and the spirit of amateur radio .
It somehow will never be enough for some .

The current amateur question pool expires July 1 . 2018
ARRL Petitions FCC to Expand Shortwave Privileges of Technician-Class Hams

Diluting the question pool under the auspices of making it more relevant in combination with expanding existing privileges of technician class hams is a recipe for disaster .
When or if a NPRM comment period appears I will comment .
Until then I've wasted enough time on this .   

66 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 08:22:08 AM »

...The current amateur question pool FOR TECHNICIAN expires July 1 . 2018

66 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:14 AM »

Just a voluntary upgrade that would allow a 20WPM to be attached to an extra license without having to go through a COLEM and then attach it via FRN.
No extra privileges
No extra bandwidth
No extra modes
Just an endorsement for code proficiency without having to go through a COLEM.

If it's just bragging rights you want then just that and no more.
I am bemused; It is a generational thing, the same folks who berate younger people for "participation awards" and being coddled and patted on the head now want a "forspecial" award because morse code was a requirement when they earned their license.

Get over yourselves. You may be a big cheese in your own mind but for the rest of us, we just don't care.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »

Sometimes I feel that we have forgotten that the whole idea of amateur radio is the love of radio. I fell and broke my leg a while back and, because of where my main station is, have been unable to enjoy getting on HF and shooting the breeze with other amateurs. That is the fun of ham radio for me. I don't care about other people's politics or religion... I just want to share my love for the hobby and my amazement for the miracle that is radio propagation. When I make a call, I never know where my signal is going to end up!

As long as the person on the other end has earned the privilege of operating on the frequency I am transmitting on, we are on equal footing. So I just get involved in learning about another new found friend, or possibly speaking with someone I know well, or perhaps someone I haven't spoken with for a long time. It's all the fun and love of radio for me. It doesn't matter whether the operator on the other end has been licensed longer than I have, or the operator just got licensed last week, I choose to share my love for amateur radio with them, and hopefully they reciprocate.

One last thing: when a fellow ham (a newbie) asks for my help, I give it to the best of my knowledge and ability. Many old timers did that for me when I got started, so now it's my turn. I believe it's called Elmering!

73 to all and GOTA and have FUN!!! Smiley

Will Rogers
K5WLR (First licensed 1974)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »

One last thing: when a fellow ham (a newbie) asks for my help, I give it to the best of my knowledge and ability. Many old timers did that for me when I got started, so now it's my turn. I believe it's called Elmering!
That is EXACTLY how we should all behave, I also do that, no matter how simple the question, or how complex, or what class license the asker has.  I do have an old Extra, (needed 20 WPM), but I hold zero malice for the new folks, things change, if we don't then we will be extinct in short order. 
I dislike participation trophies, why?  Winners should get trophies, losers should get training, and assistance to better themselves in whatever they are competing in.  Ham radio is not a competition, (unless you are in a contest).  License class is not a contest, it is a personal goal.

Thanks,
Dave
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »

Having had some time to think about this issue, I have come to this idea as the best solution.  Since the 'intent' of this change is to provide incentive to advance to General/Extra, make future Technician licenses non-renewable.  If you have had not had enough incentive to upgrade, but want to remain a technician, you take the exam again to get another ten years.  Otherwise, you let your privileges lapse.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »

In many other countries the various ham license classes have the exact same frequency and mode privileges but are only separated by the amount of output power allowed.....  I'm all for adopting the all frequencies/mode privileges license model and limiting output power by grade of license.... The age of class distinction exclusivity is coming to an end in the ham radio timeline..

Pot,..... meet Kettle.

All you are endorsing is just a different "class distinction exclusivity".
KE5COS

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »

I wonder what would be said if the ARRL proposed that all holders of the General Class license be upgraded to Extra upon renewal of their license if there has been no violations of FCC rules during that time. Do you think most Generals would refuse to do so unless they were given some kind of test first? Do you think they would be incompetent to operate with all the privileges and frequencies afforded an Extra Class holder without taking a test? Just curious.  Grin
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »

Arguing hypotheticals seems to indicate that this thread has run its course...

Thanks,
Dave
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »

I have my opinions on ARRL asking FCC to grant more HF privileges to Technician-class licensees.

I verbalize my opinions in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWSAvDWE3Js

After you hear my comments, please leave your comments regarding my opinion.  No, I don't need you to critique my video, my speech, my looks, my whatever.  I am interested in hearing your opinions regarding what I express as my opinion.

nice video presentation of your thoughts on the topic; thanks for starting the conversation in a way that reflects well on the ham community.

i hear what you are saying, but i am against the proposal, and i would have liked to have heard you addressing the many sensible arguments against such a change. I think the General class exam is not a high hurdle for any Tech who wishes to venture below 10m, but if the real argument is that the General exam *is* too hard, then why not just make all Techs into Generals and get rid of the Tech license (and General exam) altogether?  As for letting Techs discover the magic of HF -- please note that under the current licensing structure, nothing precludes a Tech from listening to the magic of HF on any band as it is.

i hope i am wrong, but it seems to me that the only reason that the ARRL is proposing this is to attract more ARRL members (and revenue). Wikipedia has no doubt cut into ARRL book sales substantially from back in the day, and QST isnt the main info gig in town now that the internet has places like eham etc... I am kind of surprised the ARRL did not get out in front of QRZ and eham back when they could have, but i suppose time flies and it isnt easy to see around the corner.  I think they need to lower their membership fees to attract greater numbers and member enthusiasm, but i highly doubt my opinion on this is going to take root...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:24:12 PM by N9KX » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2018, 10:54:19 PM »

Expanding privileges for Technicians is not going to get more people join the ARRL, if the ARRL wants new members they need to cut the price of their membership...

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: