The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passed 15 April @ cottage grove mn  (Read 538 times)
WQZA443

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »

greetings -
I passed the entry level ( tech ) & I'm study now for the next test ( next month - 3rd Saturday they test every month ) .
what hooked me was I have a GMRS license . Use it when we go hunting / camping . I'm not much of hunter , the army cured me of that, but they tell I'm red hot as a guide .
 Anyway - I'm fit to be tied waiting on my call sign ... I haven't even shown up yet on the daily data dumps from the FCC..
I know lots have no respect for tech license ( they say its too easy ) . Funny - human condition I think as we ragged on the babies in the army who just graduated ranger school now ( in my day - we had mine the ore , walk both ways UP hill just to make M16's to have in ranger school ) ... I digress .. forgive me ..
 Are there decent programs / applications that can be recommended to learn Key ?
 I purchased two rigs already . A FT 817ND & 897 ( not D ). 817 new in the box  Grin , and used 897.
legally I cant even tune my antenna yet ? because I would have to transmit , yes ? And I can NOT till I show in the data base ? I'm pretty sure not & wont start my association by breaking the law ...as even TX a carrier for tuning is TRANSMITTING .
 Now the person I purchased the 897 from said " it will TX on GMRS also " .
That's not correct is it ? was it set up MARS \ CAP to be able to TX on the 460.000's ? And its not legal either coz its not LABELED as GMRS TX\RX & too much power ? I think I'm right ..
 Anyway I cant wait to talk to you guys on the air & learn from you guys as well ....
Sorry to be long winded I'm just EXCITED ..
And if you of a good CW trainer please let me know ? I want to do it as opposed to type in program...
THANKS

James - WQZA443 ( yeah yeah I know - appliance operator sissy..)

AA8TA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

Congratulations on passing your exam.  The VEs didn't offer to let you take the General class exam?

Anyway, I would hold off making transmissions to tune an antenna.  An antenna analyzer might be more appropriate there.

As far as that mod'ed radio, it does not seem to be a good idea to buy something if you don't know exactly what you're getting.  Does it work?  What was done it?  Is it still in spec?

For learning Morse code, sign up at http://lcwo.net.  There is no cost.  Set the character speed to 20 WPM and the effective speed a little lower if you need to.  Also check out the CW Academy http://cwops.org/cwacademy.html.

Good luck.  You should have your license soon.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:29:49 PM by AA8TA » Logged

TU es 73 de Joe AA8TA
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:00:56 PM »

Once you know your callsign, you could change your user ID here to it.  Don't know how you'd do that, but the site admin should be able to help. 
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:40:31 PM »

I have tried to change mine a few times in the past but never had any luck doing it. So mine has been SWMAN for 15 years or so. No problem here but a lot of people think that I don't have a license. Good luck on your passing of test.  73. Jim. W5JJG
N2CV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:12:29 PM »

I changed my call  by calling the site moderator.

Started out w1alw now n2cv.
AA8TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:27:53 AM »

If you would like to change the name or call sign or alias or whatever it is, follow this link: http://www.eham.net/user/updatenick.  If it matters to you, it resets your post count to one.  I think it took a few days or a week for my change to take effect.

TU es 73 de Joe AA8TA
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:36:02 AM »

Congratulations on earning your technician license. Do not worry about those who may "put down" a tech class license, we all have to start someplace.

You seem to have the right amount of enthusiasm to continue your learning and the gathering of experiences in amateur radio to progress beyond the introductory level. Do not feel obligated to immediately jump to general or extra, it will come to you in good time. Even earning a higher class license does not make you in to a better operator, that only comes from experience and exposure to many different aspects of the hobby.

You are right to refrain from tuning up on frequencies where your license does not yet give you privileges to operate. What you could do is to find a local ham who can come over and work with you to check out your set-up on other bands and frequencies. They can operate your station on those frequencies and it would be perfectly legal for them to help you in making adjustments to your antenna system. Having that sort of mentor (elmer) can give you further encouragement and incentive to take those next steps and also someone local who you could QSO with at QRP levels across town once you do earn that new license class and are spreading your wings in to HF.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
WQZA443

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:12:41 AM »

hi ;
yes thanks I have two apps now for CW .
And yes I did check out the 897 before I bought it as much as I could ( he used it in front of me & I politely informed him what he did was illegal by law and bad behavior coz the world is listening - he transmitted " skip " on the 11 meter .. ) ...
 I'm still fit to be tied .. I wont show in the data base till Tuesday .. ah well . good things come to he who waits ...
OH & the 897 receives like pro , I was eavesdrop on people ( no mic even connected just in my kid grabbed it ) on the 20 meter , with a end fed cut to proper length . didn't even use the installed filters or clarifier ... wow was awesome . I have to learn the proper " manners " as I want to be respected by respectable peers ..
was way awesome anyway ... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: