Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forfeiting amatuer radio license  (Read 14908 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »

....Within the past 5 years there has been recently licensed CB'ers who now think they know everything because they passed a couple of stupid "fill in the bubble" SCAMTRON tests.  Wish it was back like the 60's when you had to go to a FCC office and do it the right way, then half of these CB fools would not be clogging these airwaves and kerchunking repeaters around here all day.....

If it were not for the changes, ham radio may well be nearing extinction.  It was the FCC that pushed the testing to outside, since they supposedly had no funding to continue it.  It wasn't the ARRL or any of the other volunteer examiner coordination outfits that demanded to let the VE system be set up.  

It may be true that there are a lot of people who have bad habits that have come on since that change, but for every one of those 'bad apples' there are many more who DO do things the correct way--sometimes better than the long time hams who did the testing in front of a FCC examiner, and who now occupy portions of the HF bands where bad habits are the norm--or don't you actually visit the various bands--like 75/80 meters?

Why don't you bring yourself and your supposed good habits into the present instead of lamenting about what used to be?  The past is NOT coming back, no matter how much you grumble and grouse about it.  73.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:46:24 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »

Been listening on the radio here in Detroit area and there is nothing but a bunch of "subject matter experts" on the air who think they know everything and are very rude.  The clubs around here SUCK!!!!! They are all falling apart both with participation and also funding. Within the past 5 years there has been recently licensed CB'ers who now think they know everything because they passed a couple of stupid "fill in the bubble" SCAMTRON tests.  Wish it was back like the 60's when you had to go to a FCC office and do it the right way, then half of these CB fools would not be clogging these airwaves and kerchunking repeaters around here all day.  I work with the OO's here and 100% of our problems are all due to Amateur Radio Licensed CB'ers (surprisingly they are all General or Extra Ops) who are getting licensed to try to use the license to run illegal power on 11 or 10 meters.   Ham radio here in Detroit is not fun anymore, seems like more of a "contest" of ego's and stuck-up personalities.

Maybe Ham radio is not like this in your area, but in my area this hobby is not fun that is why I am selling out and getting out of it. It is much better elsewhere around the country, but not here in this deeply depressing $hithole area of Detroit.   

You can long for the "good old days" (and nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing) but change never ceases.  Instead of whining about bad operators on an internet forum we need to get out and do something about it.  The FCC isn't capable of finding all the violators and needs our help.  Don't complain; be proactive!
W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »

This all reminds me of a fellow standing on the railing of a bridge, threatening to jump, while the crowd of onlookers and TV cameras gather.  It's probably more attention than he's had for a long time.
Either let go and head for the water, or walk back to town.  I'd feel bad for the guy on the bridge.  Another disgruntled complaining ham, I wouldn't miss.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »

Bye!
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 04:52:14 AM »

sorry for your divorce and sorry you never upgraded....good luck on whatever you decide to do....

Cheers and adios

W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 03:12:25 AM »

If you're done -- for whatever reason it's your choice not ours to critique -- please do cancel it per the on line site as mentioned. That makes the call available much sooner than if you just let it expire. Perhaps someone wants that call as a vanity call for whatever their reasons are -- again not ours to critique -- but someone may have that desire and you're doing them a favor. Nice to be nice even in small ways in this high intensity world we live in today.
WA2EHV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 08:25:17 PM »

OP-you didn't even spell "Amateur" correctly in your first post.

I went off the air 20 years ago (kids, etc, work, antennas came down, lost interest) and never thought I'd ever get back on...but I renewed my license so it wouldn't expire, because I had earned it the hard way, in 1976, by going to the Manhattan FCC office and sitting for an exam based on tube theory, along with 13 WPM code.

Fast forward- 20 years later, I'm trying to get back on the air and am working on my Extra.  100% CW, using a homebrew 6C5/6L6 crystal rig with a Drake 2B, and off to the side, a Hallicrafters S-108 that Dad bought for me in 1969 when I got my first Novice license.  Dad is gone, so that receiver is worth a million dollars to me.  

W8ASI, you just never know what life will bring.  You may just change your mind.  Something magical brought you into ham radio, and it may just spark up sometime in the years ahead. (it happened to me).  Go ahead and sell your gear but keeping your license renewed won't kill you and someday, you may be glad you did.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:44:39 PM by WA2EHV » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: