The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Physical License  (Read 5539 times)
KB0TXC

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:30:53 AM »

Last week, I received my renewed General ticket from the FCC. It came in a standard business letter envelope with the usual US government postage frank. So yesterday, (Father's Day) I decided to place the new ticket in the frame that I use to comply with the regs and display in my shack. I keep my old tickets in the same frame behind the current one.

It really struck me that my first ticket came in a large envelope and was printed on a buff/yellow safety paper with no crease (9/95). The second one was still printed on yellow safety paper but had been folded to stuff into a letter sized envelope (9/05), as was my General ticket. My latest renewal ticket (9/15) was laser printed on a machine that was about to run out of toner, on cheap and very thin printer paper, and not very neatly stuffed into a letter sized envelope.

Still proud of my call and license, but it is kind of a shame, actually.

Joe KB0TXC

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »

Last week, I received my renewed General ticket from the FCC. It came in a standard business letter envelope with the usual US government postage frank. So yesterday, (Father's Day) I decided to place the new ticket in the frame that I use to comply with the regs and display in my shack. I keep my old tickets in the same frame behind the current one.

It really struck me that my first ticket came in a large envelope and was printed on a buff/yellow safety paper with no crease (9/95). The second one was still printed on yellow safety paper but had been folded to stuff into a letter sized envelope (9/05), as was my General ticket. My latest renewal ticket (9/15) was laser printed on a machine that was about to run out of toner, on cheap and very thin printer paper, and not very neatly stuffed into a letter sized envelope.

Still proud of my call and license, but it is kind of a shame, actually.

Joe KB0TXC

Just more government cutbacks.   The US is now over $18 Trillion in debt, and they are trying to reduce expenditures in most agencies.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:56:33 AM by ONAIR » Logged
KB0TXC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »

I for one, would be most willing to send the FCC (voluntarily) 5 or 10 dollars to have a nicely printed and signed ticket. If others would not want to do that, it would be fine too, as they can simply get the same type of ticket that I received. I am proud of my amateur radio hobby, and wish that the FCC took our hobby and our license as seriously I and most other amateurs do.

Best,

Joe KB0TXC
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »

I for one, would be most willing to send the FCC (voluntarily) 5 or 10 dollars to have a nicely printed and signed ticket.

You could get some nice paper and print one out yourself.  There's a place on teh FCC web site where you could get a file without the "Provisional" on it, IIRC.  All that matters now is that your license is in the FCC database.
KB0TXC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:54:43 AM »

Hi WA2ISE,

I might just do that as I said, I am proud of my ticket and my hobby. I keep my shack simple, (I try not to accumulate too much gear), mostly listen and take care when I transmit to be courteous as well as put out a clean signal. I would like to have a printed ticket that reflects that sentiment and shows any visitors to my QTH what my values and goals are.

Don't get me wrong, everyone should enjoy their amateur radio hobby as they wish. This opinion is just for me, I am not judging or criticizing anyone else.

Best to all,

Joe KB0TXC (21 years an amateur!)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »

Joe, AFAIK a ham is not required to post his physical license in his shack nowadays, unlike the old days. The "real" license is the one in the ULS. However, like you I display my physical license in my shack, for the same reasons. The FCC made the change away from the special paper sometime in 2015 I think, because the paper cost too much. Like others on this thread, I would recommend simply printing your license directly from the ULS, then you can use whatever paper you wish.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »

The following doc describes four ways to get a copy of your license:

http://www.arrl.org/obtain-license-copy

Use method #1 if you want to download a pdf of your license marked "Official Copy."  Then print it out on whatever paper you like best.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »

To get a pdf that says "official copy" go log in at https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp, then on the next page (in my case https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/licenseGlance.jsp?licKey=839188 click "download electronic authorizations" and you'll get a page where you should find your license in a box marked "Filter by radio service".  Select your callsign inside this box and click "add" just to the right of this box.  Select your callsign again in this "Authorizations to download" and then click "download" below this box.  You should then get a pop up window asking you to open or save the pdf.  You'll now have a printable pdf that says "official Copy" on it.  

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:17:06 AM by WA2ISE » Logged
AJ4GR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:14:12 PM »

Google Chrome wouldn't work for me but MS Edge did, sigh.

Tx for all the suggestions.

Ralph
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: