Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra-Plus Class License?  (Read 5245 times)
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 09:17:01 AM »

I would expect the clown to respond like this. It is fine that you got your extra the easy multiple guess way but do not knock those that got it the hard way and had to actually learn something too.  If it had not been for rule change there would be no FIB extra class. Own it and show some respect to old timers that got it the hard way.

Respect??? Respect you say??? This is from someone who has lost the respect from almost everyone in these forums. Respect is something that is earned, not granted. I got my extra from passing a test like anyone else. Why should anyone who took the test a long time ago be automatically granted respect because they took their test a long time ago? I got my engineering degree before calculators using a slide rule. Does that mean I should be automatically granted respect for using a slide rule and I am a better engineer than those who got their degree using a calculator?? Of course not. Get real Pal.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 10:01:43 AM »

I think the real reason this topic resurfaces from time to time is that there is nothing else for people to whine about...
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 01:11:01 PM »

I've had an extra since the very early 1980's. In those days (I sound like Grandpa Simpson) we had to take our tests at the FCC office (on Varick street in NYC). When I took my general the FCC was using wireless headphones for the CW portion. You'd move your head and like QSB, the signal would disappear. I found it funny and didn't allow it to interfere with my CW copy. When I took my Extra they had switched to wired Walkman type headphones. I took it as it came. I don't begrudge those who have taken no code tests. Most don't operate CW so they have caused no problem for me. Sure there are a few who use code readers but most people in the extra CW portion know the code. To me CW is ham radio but that's me. This is much more than a one dimensional hobby with tons of spectrum assigned for our use. If I had one complaint it would be directed at the intentional interference cause by some people, I don't understand the logic in that but I guess that's life. Overall, I've found ham radio to be about the same today as it was when I operated before the idea of no code was even thought of. Most people who are hams take their license seriously and are no less amateur operators than I am. The rules for entry are always changing. When I took my test it was all multiple choice. I've heard that in the real vintage days of testing those hams had to answer questions without multiple choice answers. A few years ago I had a conversation with John, HK3C. I had been off the air for over a decade and had just returned to the air. I was having a wonderful time and couldn't figure out why. After all, the internet allowed a person to talk with anyone anywhere in the world at any time with much better quality. John gave me an answer which has stayed with me and I think best describes amateur radio. It's magic. There's something special about talking with people all over the world without any physical connection between the two stations. I still am having a great time back on the air. I've been collecting awards, which for years I had ignored. My wife asked me what will you do when you've worked all of the entities currently on the list. My answer is that there's always another challenge out there & that's what hams should focus on, not whether your ham neighbor had the same test requirements as you did. In the end as long as we respect each other and act like adults should we'll all be able to enjoy the hobby.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Today at 05:36:28 PM »

If one wants a more difficult license than the Amateur Extra they can get a General Radio Telephone license.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: