Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen Test Before Tech Call Sign?  (Read 321 times)
NW1HR

Ignore
« on: Yesterday at 12:40:52 PM »

Passed the tech exam on 10/9, and will take the Gen test on 10/23.  The thing is, I still don't have my call sign from the Tech exam (checking the FCC every couple hours does not speed thnkgs up LOL).

Anyway, should I hold off before taking the Gen test (even though I am ready), or is it OK (paper work wise) to go ahead and take it on the 23rd without any call sign?

Thanks.

BTW, how long should it take to get the first call sign (seems like forever to me LOL)?

- Dan /TE
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:25:24 PM »

Passed the tech exam on 10/9, and will take the Gen test on 10/23.  The thing is, I still don't have my call sign from the Tech exam (checking the FCC every couple hours does not speed thnkgs up LOL).

Anyway, should I hold off before taking the Gen test (even though I am ready), or is it OK (paper work wise) to go ahead and take it on the 23rd without any call sign?

Thanks.

BTW, how long should it take to get the first call sign (seems like forever to me LOL)?

- Dan /TE

Go ahead and take the General, but be sure to take your CSCE (the signed form you should have received after passing the Tech) to the exam session.  It serves as proof that you passed Element 2.

The amount of time it takes for your call sign to appear in the FCC database depends on how quickly the VE group and their VEC process the paperwork.  I'm with an ARRL-affiliated group in California; our Saturday test sessions almost always result in call signs appearing by the following Friday, and often as early as Tuesday or Wednesday.  Your mileage may vary.
NW1HR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:28:32 PM »

Thank you, I'll take the CSCE with me.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:36:36 PM »

Your VEs are very slow. After each exam I've taken during the past four years, given by three different local clubs, my results have been posted on the FCC site within one week.

Not the best service. You might find a polite way to let them know.

Last, with a Tech license you can still have access to plenty of HF bands. Much more than you can "master" in a few years.
NW1HR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:50:20 AM »

Well, now you got me going :-)

Called the FCC, and they know nothing of me.  I did ask if I could forward my CSCE to them for a direct license, but no dice.  The only way you can get a Radio Amateur license is through a local ham club and the VE's, no exceptions.  Called one the the VE's that signed my CSCE (only one call sign was legible), but he had no specific recollection of the 10/9 exam, or me, or my application, but did tell me that the ARRL was the VEC, so they should know the status.  So, I called the ARRL, and they know nothing of me either.

I guess Christmas is coming late this year, LOL.

Maybe the General exam should wait for awhile. 

I'll be listening ;-)

- Dan /TE(pending somewhere)
« Last Edit: Today at 10:53:43 AM by NW1HR » Logged
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:47:24 PM »

Take your CSCE with you tomorrow, 10/23 and take your test.  I hope it is not the same slow group you tested with the first time. I hope they accept the CSCE since you indicate two of the three required signs are not legible. If it is the same group they should accept their own generated CSCE and should be ashamed that they didn't get your paperwork turned in, in a timely fashion.

73 & Good Luck!

Wayne C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: