Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can techs use 10m but novice can!  (Read 6173 times)
KORN

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2000, 01:27:46 AM »

Why can techs use 10m but novice can i what to DX on 10m now i cant i have to get genral to get on 10m:-(
WB5PNM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2000, 08:12:02 PM »

If i'm not mistaken Novices can use 10 meters. A tech plus can use  the novice portion.A tech plus Had to pass 5wpm. + the general written test. Novices have no privliges on 2 meters which makes no sense at all. 73 wb5pnm
AC5WA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2000, 07:04:06 PM »

I hope I remember this properly.  IARU Rules require that amatures be capable of recognizing morse code to operate below 30MHz.  If you are a Technician+ you can operate in the Novice portion of 10M by virtue of having passed the 5WPM code test.  If you are a (no code) Technician you are restricted by international treaty to operation above 30MHz. Simple no?  It used to be that if you were a Technician (no code), you only had to take the 5wpm code test to be advanced to Technican+ which allowed you CW privilages on the novice HF bands and Novice Phone privilages on 10.  Now you can just pass the 5 wpm and the general written and go for it. Check the ARRL.org site for the straight scoop.
AF4TL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2000, 07:56:11 AM »

When I took my first test in January of 1996 I had a few choices.  I kind of wanted to get every license in sequence, but I couldn't.  There were two entry level licenses: Novice = 1 Theory + 5WPM = Limited HF and 1.25M & 23CM priviledges with very limited power; Technician = 2 Theory = All 50MHz and up priviledges.  The only way I could hold every license Amateur radio offered was to get an entry level license, wait 10 years and let it expire, then get the other entry level license and progress from there.  I didn't bother with that and got my Tech Plus license to start.  That way I could use HF, VHF, UHF & up and even a little phone on 10M.

AF4TL
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2000, 12:22:50 PM »

Here's a simpler answer; they can.  CW 28.100 to 28.200 and phone between 28.300 and 28.500.   However, novices are limited to 250 wts. output.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: