Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you upgraded recently?  (Read 4143 times)
K1PX

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2000, 10:55:05 AM »

There have certainly been a large number of upgrades recently so that amateurs can enjoy new privileges. Are you planning new equipment, antennas or possibly a new call?          
W8VOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2000, 10:49:16 AM »

I have been licensed for about 20 years and I am very happy with my Pre Millennial General ticket. I do plan on getting some *extra* fire in the wire for the next contest season.
KC0GIU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2000, 11:16:19 AM »

Prior to the April 15th date, I had obtained both the 5wpm and General theory requirement. Just last week completed the Extra theory and requested new call. Found that most of the crowd, at the recent VE session, were for paperwork upgrades to General level as opposed the new element testing.I was the only applicant/testing for Extra.Looking forward to using /AE at present and new call in the future.
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2000, 12:05:56 PM »

I took the tests back in March. Still waiting on the hallowed paper from the FCC. Signing N0RKX/AE isn't all that bad.;-)

N0OFR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2000, 01:18:25 PM »

I have never before had to sign "temporary A_." My understanding is I no longer have to do that once the FCC database reflects my new license status and I do not have to wait to get the paper license in the mail to stop using "temporary AG." Is my understanding correct?
N0OFR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2000, 01:18:58 PM »

I have never before had to sign "temporary A_." My understanding is I no longer have to do that once the FCC database reflects my new license status and I do not have to wait to get the paper license in the mail to stop using "temporary AG." Is my understanding correct?
K6DHM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2000, 03:17:17 PM »

In July of 1999 I took and passed both the 5wpm code element and the General Theory element.  I received my Tech Plus rating.  I had planned on trying for both the 13wpm code and the Advanced Theory, but the code practice held me back.  I just couldn't get 13wpm on a consistant basis.  And, without a receiver, I was memorizing the tapes and getting frustrated.

On April, 15, I upgraded to General.  When I can get a receiver I plan on continuing my quest for faster code speed.  I'm not sure that the "benefits" of getting an Extra are worth the ire of the i'net vocals.  I have the callsign I wanted now, and it seems that General privilages are more than sufficient to enjoy this hobby.

Bill
K6DHM
N5NJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2000, 09:04:51 PM »

You only have to sign /A* if you are operating beyond the limits of your previous license.  In other words, if you're now an Extra, and were a no-code tech before, you do not need to sign /AE on 2m repeaters.
K1PX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2000, 09:31:44 PM »

N0OFR
Yes, you are correct. You can drop the temporary AG once your new license shows up in the FCC database. You do not have to wait for the paper license.
73, Jim, K1PX
KA9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2000, 10:59:17 AM »

Bill,
You don't have to change your call just because you upgrade.  Nothing wrong with keeping a call that you like.  As a General you can not use the Advanced or Extra segments of the HF bands.  By taking one more 50 question written exam you will gain a lot of additional band space.  
KD5ILF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2000, 02:48:58 PM »

I let my advanced licence (KB5KF) expire in 1994 after working so hard to get it. I got married and my wife had no interest in radio. My interest shifted to motorcycling and my job kept me traveling so much I wasn't having the fun hamming I did before so, I just quit. I got back in as a tech plus in October and passed the extra theory in March.  I put in for my new call and upgrade on April 15th with just about every body else.  This is the first time I can recall being happy about anything that happened on April 15th.  My XYL Passed her Tech. April 8th and so we are both impatiently waiting, waiting, WAITING!
KE3VV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2000, 07:22:37 PM »

The upgrade is valid when the FCC completes action on the application. The posting of the upgrade on the FCC database is the record of the final FCC action. Therefore, when then upgrade is posted on the FCC database, you can drop the "temporary" tag on your call. 73, Dave
W4HGG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2000, 09:37:04 AM »

I JUST RECENTLY UPGRADED TO GENERAL AS OF APRIL 15TH.  I PURCHASED A NEW ALINCO DX77TH AND AM ENJOYING THE PRIVELEDGES.  I AM ALSO PLANNING ON UPGRADING TO EXTRA VERY SOON.
INTHEMAIL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2000, 02:03:32 AM »

I was 13 years old when I got my first ham license - a 2 year novice. I am dyslexic and the code was tough - so never got my general.

27 years later, in April of this year, I heard about the restructuring. By April 21, I had passed my tech and general. It was a very rewarding and fulfilling experience - to a dream that had "gone south" many years earlier.

As with the rest of the post April 15 croud, I am waiting on my license to show up (before I can operate). So, having nothing but waiting to do, I cracked the books open and studied up for the Extra. This weekend, and just shy of my first month as a ham, I passed my Extra exam!

I know that a lot of the OTs refer to us as "Extra Lites", but I have decided that we are "Extra Crispies"! Smiley

Its been a heading spinning two months for me and a thrill of a lifetime. Next stop - actually getting on the air!

73s

Pete

WB2SGT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2000, 12:05:00 AM »

The bug that bit me so many years ago is back:  I had my Avanced 25 years and took the plunge with element 4B in March, then went back April 15th with the certificate.  It was a dream fulfilled to get my EXTRA and I will soon fire up my 1974 vintage station with some experimental antennae.  Maybe I'll get an Icom 706 or a TenTec Pegasus for the computer.  Only regrets I have is that the test was so non-technical and the extra privileges so small.  Peter
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: