Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: general upgrade  (Read 737 times)
KC8VCB

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2002, 06:22:39 PM »

i am going to upgrade to general (after i get my morse code credit) and was wondering what would be the best study book.
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 09:18:03 AM »

I think these are excellent books !

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/lm/

73 & Good Luck !
Steve
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 02:49:16 PM »

I used the Gordon West books every step of the way .They get right to the point , tell you the correct answer , and WHY it's correct .ARRL makes you hunt for the answers .If you want in-depth technical knowledge , fine .If you want to focus on preparing for the test , use Gordon's books . Some Radio Shacks stock them , or order from AES or others .Good luck on the upgrade .

Russ, W5RB
KB0LIV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 10:39:11 PM »

For what it's worth, I used the ARRL's General Exam Study Manual and went from Tech+ to General in 2 weeks.  Yeah, I know it sounds like an ad, but it really does work.  Using the material in the book and taking practice exams online really helped me to hone my knowledge.

Good luck!

Tom
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 11:12:41 AM »

I am a new General. I used the ARRL's General license study manual and their "Your Introduction to Morse Code" CDs for my studies. I highly recommend both of them, as both prepared me quite well for the element 1 & 3 tests.

Another program I used for additional code practice in conjunction with the CDs was the Koch trainer from G4FON. It's free and customizable and sends out random text, prosigns and punctuation, which is good since you can't memorize the practice sessions, as can happen with tapes and CDs. Do a search for G4FON on Google and it should bring up the page where you can download the software.

Good luck on passing the General-

73, Jackie
K1OWA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 03:41:10 PM »

I used the online tests on QRZ.com and this website and the shareware program called "Ham Tester" exclusively!  Now, having said that, I already had a good working knowledge of the theory and any equations needed.  But, the real-time feedback you receive from the on-line and computer based testing programs make sure that you learn EXACTLY what is going to be on the General exam.

Once you can routinely pass the online or computer based tests with a 90% or greater score, I'd say you were ready to take the exam.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: