Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Longer have CSCE code paperwork  (Read 694 times)
W8EIR

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:48:15 AM »

I got my novice license 18 yrs ago, took the tech test a week after getting my novice ticket.  With all the changes to that the licensing structure has gone through in the last 18 yrs, I no longer have my CSCE paperwork proving I passed the code test. I finally have the time to get back into the hobby, and want to upgrade to General.

What can I do to prove that I have taken the code test 18 yrs ago?

Thanks and 73's

Dave
K8DSW

Got QRP?
------------------
Dave W8EIR
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:08:28 PM »

If you have your old Novice license, or can prove a Novice license was issued to you, you will get credit for the 5 WPM code (Element 1) only.  This is a lifetime credit and does not matter if the license has expired or not.  You just have to prove you had it back then.  A callbook from the perior is acceptable proof to the VECs giving the exams.

Tom, KR4BD
Lexington, KY
KC0QXU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »

I don't mean to be mean. The 5wpm test is so easy. You can take it in less time than you'll take up convincing them you had a novice back then. You're studying the code anyways...right?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 05:06:23 PM »

1. You can try to find your old novice license.
2. You can try to get a copy of an old callbook page (try the Quarter Century Wireless Association).
3. If all else fails, you can pay the FCC to do a search of their old paper records and get a letter certifying that you once held a novice license.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 05:54:46 PM »

Presuming , after a name search of QRZs 1993 database , that you previously held N9HQZ (tech) and KB9AZP (Novice), if you came to one of my ARRL sessions ,I'd give you credit for Element 1  (based on your previously held Novice or pre-1991 Tech) and 2 (based on your current Tech ) .Pass Element 3 , and you'd leave with General privileges .It pays to talk to your VE team well before test day , as not every team is familiar with the grandfather credits available in 97.505 of the rules .ARRL teams that need a point of reference should check the link below , or call their VE hotline .Different teams may have varying standards of proof , but many of them would accept a printout of the page I spoke of , also linked below . Good luck on the upgrade .

Russ, W5RB
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/grandfather.html
http://www.qrz.com/p/1993.pl?callsign=N9HQZ
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »

The FCC ULS data base shows your previous license class as Tech Plus, converted at renewal time to say Tech.  A copy of that page should be sufficient to prove your 5wpm.
W8EIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 12:21:20 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone. I was looking in the wrong place, and forgot about ULS.

Thanks again.

Dave, K8DSW

Got QRP?
------------------
Dave W8EIR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: