Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC contemplating license fees  (Read 1196 times)
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:19:15 AM »

The FCC is studying the implementation of amateur license fees of up to several hundred dollars as a source of revenues. Stay tuned.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »

You're a couple of days late with this.
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »

And FCC is several decades late with this.  I'd feel much better paying all the costs associated with the amateur service than trying to explain to my neighbors why their tax dollars fund my hobby.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »

W8MW writes: "And FCC is several decades late with this. I'd feel much better paying all the costs associated with the amateur service than trying to explain to my neighbors why their tax dollars fund my hobby."

Their tax dollars don't fund your hobby. You do.

VE fees pay for testing; vanity fees pay for the administration of vanity calls. Fines and forfeitures do not go to FCC (that's not allowed by law IIRC). VEs have the option to waive the fees, too.

Spectrum auctions and commercial license fees are paid by commercial services because they profit monetarily from the exclusive use of public property (the radio spectrum). But amateurs cannot profit monetarily.

I've been a ham long enough to remember paying $9 to take a license test at the FCC office. Doesn't sound like much, but 40+ years ago that was about $50 in 2009 dollars, and a lot of money to a high-school kid. FCC dropped amateur license fees in the 1970s.

Amateur radio is different from other radio services in several ways:

1) We can't use it for monetary gain.

2) Anyone who can meet the qualifications (pass the tests and not have "character issues") will be issued an FCC amateur license. No maximum number, no age or education requirements. An amateur license can only be revoked or suspended for cause.

3) Amateur radio is the ONLY radio service that allows individual, private licensees build and operate high power transmitters on a wide variety of bands and modes without connection to government/military/commercial entities. IOW, anybody who can get a license can just go on the ham bands and communicate worldwide without a whole bunch of paperwork and permissions beyond the license itself. Imposing fees would hamper that freedom.

All that said, I think many if not most hams would be glad to pay significant license fees to FCC if the money were spent on more enforcement, better rules, FCC testing, etc. But FCC doesn't work that way.

73 de Jim, N2EY  
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »

It's coming - the Bama's version of shock and awe. What do you expect from a megalomaniac? $6/10yrs?
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »

When the flunkies in the administration figure out you spend $700-$12,000 on a stupid box that doesn't do anything but make strange noises (as far as they can figure out) you can kiss your cold solder joints goodbye. Right now most of the imbeciles up there are too dumb, too educated, too ambitious, or otherwise too preoccupied in other thievery to figure it out yet. Give them time.
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »

>by N2EY on April 3, 2009
>...license fees to FCC if the money were spent on more enforcement, better rules, FCC testing, etc...

Never happen. This money would get intercepted by the "Tax and Spend" "Socialiberals" for vastly more important projects, like throwing it at the "welfare industry" to buy votes.

If this "fee" is too high, I'll just simply sell my gear, keep it for "if" the fees were rescinded or keep it for when there's total societal collapse and just go back to my other past times. No problem, I have many.

/end of line
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »

This better be a joke!!!!!
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »

Hey, I usually make up a new license every few weeks. Nobody knows the difference and nobody really gives a s#$T. I'm not going to get a real license because the less the government knows about me the safer I am lol.

Oli
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »

Do you think it'a a joke? This is the BAMA were talking about. It's being worked out right now.
KQ9J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »

Might weed out some of the EMCOMMers who never really use their license anyway. If they establish a fee, anybody that really wants to ham will pay it. Just like it was years ago before license fees were abolished.

You have to pay to license or register yourself or anything else, why should an amateur radio station be exempt?
KB0PTV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »

So the rich hams will have a license, the poor hams won't. Good 'ole capitalist society!

KR0V
WZ9O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 06:44:33 AM »

It might help slow down the amount of diptards entering the ranks!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: