Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: somehow the word pompous comes to mind  (Read 63463 times)
NEWCOMER

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2006, 02:45:04 PM »

have read with interest much of what is written. I see questions asked but no answers; however attacks on the messenger.  Rather lofty comments, from rather small minds.  Seems to me some answers are needed, and some people to come forward.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 04:24:18 PM »

Do you have a question?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:48:21 AM »

Terry:
Why no answers? Because some of the questions asked are asked by a member who is bitter that things have changed over the past 25 years and he is left sitting in the dirt. He asks these questions, not to gain information, but to provoke an argument. He has a long history of doing this.

My opinion and I make no apologies for it.

Lon W3LK
NNN0OOR/NNN0GAW THREE
MDE Navy-Marine Corps MARS

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:51:47 AM »

Terry:

<< Rather lofty comments, from rather small minds >>

Quite a statement from someone who lists neither full name nor call sign and who knows absolutely nothing about me and the others who frequent this forum or our qualifications.

What MARS qualifications and/or experience do YOU have?

Lon

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 08:55:35 AM »

Good answer, Lon, although I suspect the "question" was posted by 'someone else' under an assumed identity.  Any post without a callsign should be taken with a grain of salt, anyway, since the poster is either too stupid to pass the exam or is just a coward.

Dwight
CAJUN2344

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 04:45:02 AM »

been wattching this from the sidelines and decided to jump in..
call sign no, interest in ham radio yes.  taken the test no, but with people like this not so sure..
Name is Tom and i live in MS

i took him up on his offer and called him,  found and asked frank questions, got honest (I believe) anawers.. he made some valid points, some i disagree with but most i do,  MARS is looking for a identity since Marine Corps left and very little Navy Usage.
Actually sounded sad about the changes

here is the kicker, I WAS AT A EOC IN MS, MARS SURE WAS NOT THERE!!!,  I spent days and days watching ham radio work, sure did not see or hear MARS.. you all were just not there.  but did hear races, and ares and the hf nets such as Maritime Net.  but sure did not hear any MARS nets jumping in and providing a comm link..  because radio was the only link, no power, no phone lines standing, no cell phones because no cell phone towers left standing.

I also looked at that web page and found a lot of information about MARS from yrs past and recent years  including gulf war of 91..  surprising that the call sign N0IRA goes way way back, none of yours do..

so you can all pontificate about this and that and slap each other on the back.  you can give each other high fives about 'serving those who serve' can continue to INSULT withoug backing anything up.. but i tend to believe the man i talked to....

will i ever post here again, doubt it, because i do not see a organization that has any merit
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 06:51:57 AM »

Well, if you're not involved, you're hardly qualified to comment based on your random observation.
The individual in question appears to be a very bitter individual and prefers to make ad hominem attacks on MARS in public, instead of using his chain of command to address problems, which in itself is grounds for dismissal.  He appears to want to turn back the clock to relive past glories.  Check out the other threads and you'll see that pattern in his behavior.  
By the way, my comment stands:  Soemone who posts without a callsign or other verifiable identification doesn't merit serious attention.  I didn't catch your callsign, name (other than 'Tom' which could be fake), or rank and address.  
It's pretty obvious that someone is posting the same garbage under multiple false identities here.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 07:40:57 AM »

To further amplify my comments in the previous post, I find it very interesting that two brand new posters, hiding behind fake identities, each just happen to make their first post on Eham on a MARS forum in defense of the same individual, when neither can identify themselves as hams or MARS members.  Of course, all of this happens after the individual they're defending goes silent.  I guess it's time to dig out my little IP address trace program. Betcha they're all coming from the same IP.
N1EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »

I just caught on this thread.  This is full of the pompous BS.  I will not work with anyone that will
not accept critism.  If the public were to question
the worth of MARS, then apparently you would simply
state that they are unaware of all the services provided.

I'm going to spice this question up for the defenders.

Don't identifity what you have provided.

Explain how it has made an irreplaceble contribution.
Show the taxpayers about their return on investment.
We expect Amtrak to make a profit.  Are you making a
profit?  I would like to receive free equipment, too.
I know that in years past this used to happen.

If $10,000 is spent on MARS, does this get the equivalent of $1,000,000 worth of service from
some other source?

I'm still waiting to hear about the actual accomplishment of MARS.  I did try to ask the
MARS representative at the last local convention.
There was never a mention of a specific example such
as we helped in this event.

Lots of talk was made about disaster preparedness.

I tend to think that MARS problem consists of large
egos that run recruitment, operations, and PR at the
local level.  Some of the webpages for various outfits
seem to suggest that they're doing something.  I have
yet to be told concrete examples.

There are a few mentions of Operation something or something for testing communications for one group.
What about the rest of the country?

Several posters lament about the misconceptions of the MARS to serve as a phoneline, but look at the recent
article in QST.  This also suggests that leadership is
lacking and not global.  The article indicated that everything has to be done at the local level.

N1EY
the local level
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 04:06:37 PM »

I guess you're trolling so i can't resist. I was airforce mars for over ten years then my work sked got so out of hand i just did'nt have the time to put my required hours in. What does it do...well airforce people send mars grams back to love ones from places all over the world. Us stateside hams with a good station link phone patches from overseas back to love ones here at home. I guess you get "spite" from "spewing" about crap here that obviously you know nothing at all about. I've not been in the program now for a little while but you even pissed me off so i guess that was what you're after anyway. I can't speak for the other branches of the program but in my ten plus years of being airforce i was rewarded with putting some joy back into some airforce persons family here in east ky and wv. No i don't have the contact info on how to become a member but from what i've read here the "troll" just would'nt fit in anyway. Last traffic i passed was from a kid near Korea. He just wanted to tell mom and dad he was fine and would be home for the holidays. They had only gotten letters from him for a while. Imagine how nice it made them feel to have a message sent to them by him and delivered over the phone telling them he loved them and was looking forward to the holidays and leave time. If the family was close i'd go deliver it in person. How can some dumbass say this "ain't" a nice thing and that mars does'nt do anything. Sometimes it just needs to be said like i say it. Any of you highnoses want to pick at my spelling tuff crap, i'm tired and work for a living. WR8D/AFA2UY If my work ever slows down i'll get back in the program and be very damned proud to be a member. 73, John
EXNNN0CVG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »

Wow!

I was looking to get back into HAM radio after being away from it for a while. I was going through the threads and found this!

You see, I was an Operator for NNN0CVG. Hence the screen name/call sign. I worked on USS Forrestal as well and that is where I cut my teeth in MARS.

If I understand this correctly.. is there a question about the worth of MARS, past or not? I was an Aviation Electrician. The Forrestals MARS Station was operated under a non-MARS callsign. I do not remember what that call sign was. On my second ship, there were no RM's interested in running the station, I got wind of it and volunteered.

I ran Phone Patch traffic, AMCROSS calls, BBS Packet after working my 12 hours in an Avionics shop. I routinely got about 4 hours of sleep a night on deployment. When someone on the ship recieved bad news from home, I was the guy who helped place the call from thier work space, the Chaplains Office, or Department Heads Office, or had the person in the "shack" with me.

I was the guy who held a fellow shipmater when the inconceivable came over the air and the stateside operator wasn't fast enough to cut the news off before it came out. I was the guy who ran 779 MARS Grams for the 10th Mountain Division before they landed in Haiti. I was the guy that kept the shack open and ruinning until the last person had a chance to make thier 5 minute phone call.

There was nothing more satisfying, nothing more gratifying, to see the smiles, to hear the emotion in the families voices on "the other end". To be able to help in this way. At the time there was nothing better. Not until you reached port and could make a phone call. There was nothing better.

AND the Stateside MARS operators made it happen. With out you guys the 6 months deployments would have seemed like 12 month deployments. Some of the good nights were nights before we pulled into a port. Not many people in the shack, and I could make a phone call home or talk to the guys (mostly) who helped us on the working frequencies. I have those frequencies burned into my brain to this day.

Thank you to NNN0KRG, NNN0NHA, NNN0HRB, NNN0NIM, and many, many others that I could list if I had my log book with me.

Sincerely

Eric J. Gregg AEC (AW/SW) ret.
NNN0CVG 1991-1995

re wasn't anyone on
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »

I was watching a TV program a few nights ago about how service men and women are in contact with their families on a daily basis using internet phone and video conferencing.
I guess it makes MARS look obsolete at best but then one has to wonder how good is the Internet if you ever have a major War, it would seem that in a WWW3 situation communications via Internet would be the first to go and then satellites as demonstrated by the USA and China using those satellite killer missiles.  This begs the question as to why the military would want to get rid of all their Low tech backups. 
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »

MARSGrams and Phone Patches, one the glory of MARS have been long gone.  Especially since  GW 1 soldiers have had e-mail available at the forward bases and phone card to call home with out having to say over.  When moral and welfare MARSGram traffic started dying Army MARS came up with EEI report to built the traffic numbers back up,  You were supposed to keeps apprised of significant events in your area and draft a MARSGram with the text in a specific format and forward it up the chain. 

Anyway with the change in mission and a lot of time spent trying to find a job Army MARS decided to market themselves and master disaster communicators.  Then they came up  with the operator ranks.  I had done 20 by that time and decided it was time to pursue a different path.  Just about that time "they" decided you had to have 30 years of MARS service to "RETIRE".  I submitted my resignation mainly because I got in the program to payback all those who had done margrams and phone patches for the family and that mission was gone.

I worked the unit MARS station AE1KZ during my two tours in Germany and Held AAV6JQ for my time in the program.  When I get to missing it I just dial up the net and listen to the 10 minutes of training and 45 minutes of dead air then go back to the ham bands.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »

http://www.kg4rul.info/TrollAlert.jpg
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »

N1EY,
You are trying to somehow compare MARS to ARES and that is wrong.  MARS has changed in the last couple of years and some members just could not manage this and became soured.  Today MARS has been tasked to become fluent in HF and is trying to distance itself slightly from amateur radio.  We practice multi mode and multi frequency nets daily and do interface with the NG at times.  This is to provide a comms link in case of catastrophic failure in the conventional systems.  So if you are looking for an organization that interrelates with community emcomms, gets on tv and in local news, this is not it.  You gotta enjoy what you volunteer for.
W3LK, LON, I like your posts-to the point.
Art, AAA5RD, Region 5 Director
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: