Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Drones, a local problem. How can I jam them?  (Read 1538 times)
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 07:42:49 AM »

So, I am going to look into the possibility of a jamming device that uses the same technology for the control signals for these craft. My solution would be a high wattage carrier based signal that would "swamp" the receiver on the aircraft which would render flight control useless. Does anyone here have knowledge on what type of signals these craft use? Is it spread spectrum? VHF/UHF?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for reading.
73 de Billy N6YW

100% illegal. 

Please quote a source of this being illegal. How would this be enforced?
I am curious as to why it's legal for someone to use one of these Quad's to video capture a woman sunbathing in her back yard of an otherwise safe environment. To me, this is similar to movie theaters who have in the past used jamming devices to make cellphone use impossible. I seem to recall this being outlawed. Strange times we live in. It seems we are beginning to become servants of our technology instead of it's master.

It's illegal to interfere with a RF communication...it's also illegal to manufacture (well, the FCC will not approve such a transmitter), sell or be in possession of a device that's designed to do so.
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammer-enforcement
The first line says: "Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment."

It has been illegal to use a jamming device since the the Communications Act of 1934 became law. Just think about it...how can someone legally jam a signal on a frequency they're not licensed to transmit on???

Also, take a look at the US Code - 18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/32

It appears it may also be illegal to mess the the aircraft itself, and if convicted: "shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."

-KB3VWG
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:51:23 AM by KB3VWG » Logged
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 07:54:02 AM »

Violating an FCC rule intentionally can be used as evidence that you lack the moral character to hold ANY FCC license.  However, it would be interesting to get one of these devices just to test what exposure to lawfully emitted radiation  would do to it.  Taking it to an extreme, I'm sure a moonbounce array would frazzle the brain of one of these devices. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 07:57:07 AM »

The question is what defines communication. When talking about jamming cell phone that operate on licensed frequencies and is a regulated service, yes jamming would be illegal. When talking about a drone working in private airspace without permission I think not. When you own property you own airspace above too. A drone would be a illegal trespass. Trick would be only jamming its frequencies and services and not others.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 08:32:26 AM »

The question is what defines communication. When talking about jamming cell phone that operate on licensed frequencies and is a regulated service, yes jamming would be illegal. When talking about a drone working in private airspace without permission I think not. When you own property you own airspace above too. A drone would be a illegal trespass. Trick would be only jamming its frequencies and services and not others.
That's a reasonable reply. One of the above comments about "Jamming a signal on a frequency that one is not licensed" is utter crap regarding this instance. First of all, there is no license requirement for flying a drone. It appears that the frequency band in use is set aside for many things to co-occupy. This is much like itinerant communications frequencies in the VHF band. However, jamming radio communication can be inferred or assigned to any radio communication link as probable cause for some sort of enforcement. There has been a bevy of misinformation bandied about on this subject by individuals who don't have a clue about the FCC and the regs. Sorry, nothing personal but it's true. 
Some of you have answered with some very well reasoned comments, and for this I thank you.
I have come to the conclusion that I will use the best tool that I have in my arsenal, and that will be direct personal confrontation using reasonable discussion and complaint. I do not own firearms or any sort of weapons, so my only choice is my intellect and well practiced communication skills. I am good at this, and having been a performing artist for most of my life, I am pretty convincing in my craft. Use of force or physical contact is not an option unless it becomes an issue of self defense.
Then, the authorities become involved and quite frankly, is not a good idea except as a last resort.
I am drafting a letter to my city council representative that outlines not only my complaint, but outlines some criteria for a no fly zone. One of the reasons for this is, this is part of the wetlands preserve and a natural habitat for the Pacific Fly Zone of many species of birds. Another is quite simple: Tourists, and during the peak months, this place is inundated with thousands of them. There may exist a possible danger of someone getting injured by reckless use, or inexperience of piloting these craft.
Anything is possible. Until a reasonable solution has been enacted, I am not going to pursue the idea of Jamming.
Using discussion and debate has once again proven to a useful resource in examining this subject.
Thank you once again.
73 de Billy N6YW
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 09:07:22 AM »

Amazing how many hams seem to be willing to violate FCC rules - or at least encourage someone else to violate the rules  Wink

i am reading it as the sharing of theoretical ways one could protect one's privacy from a personal drone someone is using as a camera.
how far away can these things be from what they are 'looking' closely at?   
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 09:34:52 AM »

VWG's reference is pretty clear to me:
"Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment, including devices that interfere with cellular and Personal Communication Services (PCS), police radar, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), and wireless networking services (Wi-Fi). "

Notice that the rule says "any type of jamming equipment". The included list gives examples of devices but doesn't say they are the only devices that it is illegal to jam. If you jam 2.4GHz you are going to take out WIFI devices as well as the drone plus you will likely take out more drones than just the one that you are targeting. Notice too that the rule doesn't say that it's okay to jam a device because it is illegally violating your privacy rights or your personal air space. You have other legal remedies to protect your privacy rights. Operating jamming equipment of any type is not one of them.

It sounds to me like the OP is on the right track to get the support of local lawmakers to limit the use of drones in his area.
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 09:38:22 AM »

AA4PB
Please reread my last post. It's pretty clear what I had to say. I believe the thread has reached it's final destination
and once again, I thank you for your contribution.
73 de Billy N6YW
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 10:32:57 AM »

"Jamming a signal on a frequency that one is not licensed" is utter crap regarding this instance. First of all, there is no license requirement for flying a drone.

Originally, I noted that the frequency may be Part 15 or 97; but I omitted that because there's no guarantee that the operator has not applied for a frequency for use with the device. Next, there is no instance in Part 15 or Part 97 where one can interfere with another licensed communication; in that regard, jamming IS NOT covered as a licensed communication - and if you are not licensed for the exact same frequency, should it be be in another service, that transmission would be prohibited also.

Another poster inquired what is defined as a communication. The US Code, ITU Radio Regulations and the Federal Telecommunications Regulations also specifies the definition of that. Also, there's no guarantee that your jamming will only affect your intended target, the US Code lists no exceptions to jamming, besides for the Federal Government itself.

As I noted, I'm not sure it's lawful to fire on an aircraft over US airspace, regardless of if you feel it's "trespassing." I wish the OP luck with a local restriction. I'd suggest lobbying for a prohibition on automated, electronic or digital areal photography as opposed to a "no fly zone." You may want to research cities around the nation that prohibit nuclear material within their borders, it was to prevent rail cars and tractor trailers (which outright prohibiting could interfere with the Commerce Clause) from transporting the material through their jurisdictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-free_zone#United_States
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:35:57 AM by KB3VWG » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Today at 07:03:49 AM »

Amazing how many hams seem to be willing to violate FCC rules - or at least encourage someone else to violate the rules  Wink

Isn't it, though!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: