Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No lids, no kids  (Read 884 times)
W9DEC

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »

I know what a kid is but I can't find the definition of a lid as it is used in ham jargon.
I found hat, and top of a jar and marrijuna but I don't think those fit. I might even be a lid!
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:56:32 AM »

"...the word lid is ham jargon for an amateur radio operator who exhibits poor operating practices..."

Don't Be a Lid
http://outlandradio.com/k3two/radiolid.htm
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »

Think of someone sending CW so poorly, that it sounds as if they were rapidly raising and lowing the lid of a metal garbage can to do it. That's what came to mind when I first read that word in an old QST or CQ.

KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 06:45:07 AM »

A lid is an incompetent operator pure and simple.  An example - a guy when asked to QSY cannot figure how to spin the VFO to meet you within some reasonable time.  You start up a QSO and find the frequency has bad adjacent splatter, you ask the other guy to standby while you find a clearer frequency.  You find one and come back to the orginal frequency to advise the other station which frequency to tune to.  He acknowledges the frequency to QSY and you tune over there and start calling him.  He doesn't show up for a number of minutes but while you're calling, two other stations cut in legally because you haven't established a contact and they take the frequency.  Now your pissed off,  not so much at these two stations but at the guy who said he would meet you but didn't.  So you tune back to the original frequency which is still splattered and you call him thru the mess.  He acknowledges as still being there and you ask him why he didn't QSY and he says that his VFO wouldn't change when he spun it.  And then you ask him to check the frequency lock on his rig but he doesn't even know where it is but eventually he finds it and it was pressed so he couldn't tune.  And you ask him why he couldn't figure it out and he says that he thought that this button was used to stabilize the frequency so it doesn't drift.  (And this guy has been a HAM for a long time so no excuse) And you in frustration sign off and disappear never to reach back to this LID again. 
That's a LID!!
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »

My meaning of a LID is just a dumb ass.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:19:54 AM »

I found hat,

There is a kiosk/store in a mall by me that is called Lids that sells hats. I chuckle every time I see it.
W9DEC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:24:01 AM »

Thanks for the explanation and I hope I wasn't being a lid by asking.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:09 AM »

You're not a LID for asking as it's a term used by HAMs for many years but many join this hobby without the help of elmers (experienced Ham friends) to guide them through the lingo.  You get two chances to prove you're not a LID.  The first time is a mistake, the second time is stupidity but you still have a third shot to prove yourself.  In all seriousness, a LID is a guy who makes the same dumb mistakes all the time and doesn't learn from them. He eventually gains an unfortunate reputation on the air and becomes the object of teasing and ridicule.  Believe me, you don't want to gain such a reputation as it never leaves you.  You'll find people making fun of you when you're not even on the air.  There are many examples of LID like behavior spanning basic technical understanding of how your rig works, from tuning on top of people, to basic operating protocol mistakes during pile ups, nets, and rag chews.
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »

I know what a kid is but I can't find the definition of a lid as it is used in ham jargon.
I found hat, and top of a jar and marrijuna but I don't think those fit. I might even be a lid!

The phrase is "No lids, no kids, no space cadets."

Neil N3DF
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »

Thanks for the explanation and I hope I wasn't being a lid by asking.

imo, best way to remember the definition of LID is licensed idiot

i think it goes back to early days when someone would sound either like they were sending code with a lid or maybe they would put a rock on top of a lid and hold the key down(?)

asking questions, and admitting when one does not know something, is the opposite of being a LID. 
i like the Zen saying which points out that "Beginner's Mind" is preferable (the 'expert's mind is closed; the beginner's mind is open)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »

"Lid" and "ham" aren't acronyms or anything requiring capitals except as in the word "lid" at the beginning of this sentence.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »

I agree with SWMAN....except to add "Dumb ass HAM."
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »

Well there's a lot more "LIDs" in other radio services than in ham radio
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/rfo/ActAct.html
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/
KM4FMK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »

Easy way to remember LID: Losing It Daily (as in lost their mind, does stupid stuff, or never learned the proper way to do something).

It also helps to remember that some people may be acting like a LID but may just be new hams that have not been taught any differently (or are still learning).....

The ones that really bug me are those using that term may just be an old cranky guy who is mad at the world (or just the FCC) for changing the test to get licensed and "anyone who tested after 1990 never learned the proper way to get on the air", as if CW is some sort of secret code that should be required to talk on local repeaters.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Today at 06:00:03 AM »

"nothin but a pencil necked geek"

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: