Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your 59..But I can hear your call.. and  (Read 1065 times)
W1IT

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »

What was my report. Like snort. This is the dumbest thing Dxers do.. give a 5 /9 no matter what and then ask, sheepishly, there was QRM, what was my report again... again... again...LOL Cool
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »

Yep, it's like when you ask someone "How are you?" They always say "Oh fine".

If they ever really started saying how they really were, everyone would stop asking the question.  Cheesy
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:13:39 PM »

How many times I heard this in a "typical contest"...

"QRZed, QRZed ...Again....QRZed.....You are 59 ...Again?  Give Me Your Call!...Your Are 59 in the contest.....call please!...QRZed? Nothing Heard ....Good Luck in the Contest ...QRZed "

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:26:27 AM »

How many times I heard this in a "typical contest"...

"QRZed, QRZed ...Again....QRZed.....You are 59 ...Again?  Give Me Your Call!...Your Are 59 in the contest.....call please!...QRZed? Nothing Heard ....Good Luck in the Contest ...QRZed "

They say some contest auto logs have the report information already filled in FIVE NINE.
Well, if every one is FIVE NINE why bother to say it on the air? Like duh?

Also on 75 I hear some of these people give a Euro 5 x 9 plus thirty DB. Look there is no 4 Square on earth that give a 20 db gain .. no where. Its more like four by seven OLD Girl !
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:17:41 AM »

Another lame question. Man up dude!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:22:26 AM by W9FIB » Logged
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:51:35 AM »

Gee Whiz..having a real conversation and actually speaking with a DX station is gone after the hoards of DX locusts invade the bands.  Thank goodness the WARC bands are contest free but that doesn't stop the 5/9 goodbye contacts from infecting the WARC bands as well. The worst of this contest/award pursuit mania is the absolute disdain by the award seekers towards guys who are in QSO or engaged in Nets (even if the QSOs and Nets are dumb).  The failure to adhere to common courtesy on the part of contest/award operators will continue to ratchet up the counter measures that the rag chewers/Nets will unlease during contest periods.  You would think that the ARRL and other contest organizers would cooperate to designate certain portions of the band to the contest hounds so other non partcipants could use the bands.  No, that would be too complex and inconvenient for them. So once the ARRL and other radio associations get everyone excited to jump into the contest they wash their hands of the resulting chaos they agitated.  It's like the zombie attack when the contesters are on the rampage.  Those that participate in contests need to pay attention when you get involved in the madness. And by the way, I think signal reports are a waste of time; either I hear you or I don't.  If I have to ask a station to repeat themselves they should get the idea that they have a mediocre signal to me.  If I provide an unsolicited description to the other station such as "Your single is loud and clear, not distorted, great audio" well isn't that enough?  I prefer to get reports like that over that over used, over worked 5/9 BS.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:25:09 PM »

No contest really needs signal reports. The only exchange you need is serial number,state maybe,name,or whatever is necessary to minimalize the qso time required. Signal reports should be optional.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:37:09 PM »

So someone is on a DXpedition to somewhere rare - like KP1. Most people do a '59' and pass on. So then we get the guys who want more than that......

" Hi Joe, nice to work you again, you are five by nine like you were yesterday, the weather here is just like yesterday, about 55 degrees and  a 5 mile an hour wind from the north west. Still using the same KenYaeICom rig I was using when I worked you yesterday and the day before, and the XYL has her leg pains feeling better. And we are having Steak Diane tonight for dinner and wish you were here. My sister in law has come to stay and wants to know what the island is like, especially as no guys   have been there and put on a ham station for ten years..............."

And so on. While  "five by nine, thanks" gives other people the chance of a QSO........

But there will always be mean ass*oles who want to monopolise and prevent others getting through...

If you don't like that fast style of operation giving the maximum number of QSO to those who want it........

FIND ANOTHER FREQUENCY!!!!!
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:45:36 PM »

Yeah, making 20 minute monologs on 40 meters that nobody cares anything about makes more sense.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:07:50 PM »

The scale is way too large, evidenced by it (almost) always being a 59.

Should be a scale from 1 to 3 for both parameters.  Tongue
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 06:28:18 PM »

And the 'winner' gets a 5/TEN!  With all the glory, power and dominion which ham radio contest points imbue upon these 'winners' .

--Oh Brother...

No, I'll continue to enjoy real conversations with real human beings who also would like that.

73 es 5 TEN TEN TU    Shocked

Ray
W7ASA ..._  ._

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:39:13 AM »

If you REALLY want to cause confusion in a CW contest, send a report of 569.......

Around 60 years ago, in the RSGB FD, there was an operator and a logger (no computers).

'Which one are you working?' asked the logger.

'The S5 one with the T7 note and clicks' was the reply.

'OK, I've got him. What did you give him?' asks the logger.

'579' was the reply.....

Back then, the 'standard' CW report was '579', but I guess that inflation has caught signal reports as well as many other things.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: