Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 97.317: Uh-duh?  (Read 2181 times)
KD5KFL

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2000, 02:37:06 PM »

I am baffled by some of the wording in 47CFR97.317, Certification of External RF Power Amplifiers. Regrettably, I don't have a copy in front of me, but the baffling part goes something like this: An external RF power amplifier can not be certified if it has internal RF sensing circuitry that switches it to transmit mode, or if it has an external switch to put it in transmit mode. I don't have a finely honed legal mind, but it looks to me as if you can't have one if it works?
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2000, 01:20:23 PM »

This section of Part 97 is related to "certification" which is a concept instituted as an attempt to curtail the use of commercially made, amateur (non-FCC-type-accepted) amplifiers by Citizens Band or other unlicensed operators.

Minimum input power and maximum gain specs, modification limitations and no 10 meter operation are technical restrictions that follow this concept.

97.317 says:

<<
(c) Certification may be denied when denial would prevent the use of these amplifiers in services other than the amateur service. The following features will result in dismissal or denial of an application for certification:

(5) Any internal RF sensing circuitry or any external switch, the purpose of which is to place the amplifier in the transmit mode;
>>

This restriction prevents a person from simply connecting a CB radio to an amplifier and being able to "key" the amp.  Without these two methods, there needs to be a specific, amplifier-keying (T/R) line available on the radio, which obviously would be missing from CB units. The "external switch" (probably should have been called "externally accessible switch") is, in its simpliest form, a T/R toggle switch on the amp's front panel - while certainly not "automatic", it would easily allow a pure appliance operator's use of an amplifier.  RF-sensed T/R would also.

But like typical gov't limitations on technology, this doesn't work very well...amplifier-equipped freebanders just buy amateur transceivers.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2000, 12:46:11 PM »

The ARRL web site has it.  I searched on "Part 97" (no quotes) and got this page:

http://www.arrl.org/field/regulations/news/part97/

Typical gumint legalese. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: