Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Long Did it take for the FCC to post your new  (Read 8534 times)
KD5ILF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2000, 03:45:40 PM »

I was just over to the ARRL web page and they have .pdf listings of when the packages from the different test sessions "arrived" at their qth.  The story where I found the link said that on Wednesday (presumably 05/17/00) they were working on packages that arrived on May 19th.  Looks like they are digging out from under the deluge!  It also looks like it will be a WHILE yet!  The old proverb about "how do you eat an elephant" comes to mind. I don't think I'll wait for the "official" posting to start operating at my new classification.  The FCC ULS Web site is down now too!  Could it be that they are overloaded also?

KD5ILF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2000, 03:48:28 PM »

My post above has an obviously wrong date!  Correction below!
<bk>
I was just over to the ARRL web page and they have .pdf listings of when the packages from the different test sessions "arrived" at their qth. The story where I found the link said that on Wednesday (presumably 05/17/00) they were working on packages that arrived on April 19th. Looks like they are digging out from under the deluge! It also looks like it will be a WHILE yet! The old proverb about "how do you eat an elephant" comes to mind. I don't think I'll wait for the "official" posting to start operating at my new classification. The FCC ULS Web site is down now too! Could it be that they are overloaded also?
73!
W0TLO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2000, 11:09:04 PM »

People, people!
Let's not loose sight of how far we have come!
When I got my new ticket in '94 it took over 12
(yes! 12 weeks) to get my callsign (then kc5gmm)
and then you had to wait till you got the hard
copy in the mail.
Enjoy!
de W0TLO
John
WA2MHY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2000, 10:38:54 AM »

Yes, But when I got my Novice in 1960; my Tech in 1962; my General in 1963; and my Advanced in 1970 (Viet Nam war in the way), it took less than 6 weeks each time to get my ticket.

The rigs have gotten a lot better since the days of my Heath DX-20 xmitr and Hallicrafters SX-25 rcvr; but the time to get your ticket has gotten worse!

Oh well.
KG4HTU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2000, 01:08:14 AM »

I really hate to do this as I'm sure it will really make some people angry, but I can't resist.

I took the tech exam on Saturday the 20th of May, and my
call was posted to ULS this morning (05/23/00)!

This was NOT the ARRL VEC who is super-backlogged I'm sure, it was the Laurel VEC.

kg4htu
KD5ILF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2000, 11:37:23 AM »

If someone wants to be angry, let'em.  I'm not angry, just a little disappointed that it is taking so long.  I see from looking at the arrl site that they are now working on packages rx on April 24th so they are making steady progress.

Now, if I had to wait years and then bribe someone to "pay attention" to my application like some DX operators have had to do to get their liscences THEN I would get MAD.  

G*d, I love this country!

Besides, I still have not gotten my ant. up!

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2000, 02:32:32 PM »

You guys don't know how good you have it, so quit whining...what the heck did you expect after restructuring, with all of those upgrades???
When I got my first ticket in 1994, I took my exam in mid April, received my ticket on July 12th...and that was when you couldn't go on the air until you had the paper in-hand!! For those of you that are mathematically challenged, that is a TWELVE WEEK WAIT! Longest 12 weeks of my life!!!!

73!
K5LAD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2000, 03:21:03 PM »

I took my Extra Lite in March and turned in my papers on the 15th of April at the Joplin Hamfest.  My wife traded her 1968 Tech Plus for a General on the same day.  Although they have not shown up on the QRZ.COM list, the FCC posted both of ours to the upgrade status sometime between yesterday and this morning (5/26).
W6EZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2000, 01:58:56 PM »

My XLY submitted her paper  work on April 15.
Now we are six weeks past that date and she is still waiting.
I found out that the VEC didn't get the papers until April 25, and here as of May 27, the VEC is still working on the submissions from April 24.
Soon I guess.
But then, one of my friends got his origional ticket after a short wait of only eighteen weeks! Things are better now.
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2000, 03:43:13 PM »

My info was finally updated yesterday, I submitted the paperwork on April 16th so about 5 weeks. Tom...
KR4YL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2000, 11:14:56 AM »

I updated to Extra on the 15th at a midnight ARRL-VE session and it took just under a month to have the upgrade granted.  

Since the ARRL-VEC is the largest VEC, it gets the most applications and with 15,000 NCVEC Form 605's from the first day to process, no one should be suprised its taking awhile.  The VEC's have the responsibility to make sure the data is entered correctly, and that there are no problems with an application before it is electronically sent to the FCC.  

Anytime you take paper forms and have to enter them into a computer it is going to cause a delay.  Until there is a way for the VE teams to submit electronically to the VECs its going to be this way and that will require the VECs no longer being required to keep the paperwork on file.  (In other words-- Part 97 would need to be changed.)

The smaller VECs have the advantage of having far less paperwork to process.  

The ARRL-VEC and W5YI-VEC are the largest two and both are snowed under.   Last I checked it was taking the W5YI-VEC 3-4 weeks.  

Now my story of woe:  My 4 week wait for Extra was the shortest wait I've ever had.  My original Technician in '93 took 11 weeks, my General in 94 took 10 weeks and my Advanced ('94) took 17 weeks!   I tested in March and saw my license in August and it was a callsign change so it was that much more painful!   So add em' up: 11+10+17+4 = 42 weeks (10 weeks shy of a year) waiting for licenses!

We can use our our new licenses the moment we have a CSCE in hand!  I signed /AA for 17 weeks myself.  Sure its a pain but at least you can use new frequencies and bands.  

I'm sure we've all been snowed under at our own jobs and know what its like to be overworked (and probably underpaid.)  

The VEs and VECs are doing a great job!  Thanks guys and gals -- I know most of us hams appriciate the hard work.

KR4YL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2000, 11:15:15 AM »

I updated to Extra on the 15th at a midnight ARRL-VE session and it took just under a month to have the upgrade granted.  

Since the ARRL-VEC is the largest VEC, it gets the most applications and with 15,000 NCVEC Form 605's from the first day to process, no one should be suprised its taking awhile.  The VEC's have the responsibility to make sure the data is entered correctly, and that there are no problems with an application before it is electronically sent to the FCC.  

Anytime you take paper forms and have to enter them into a computer it is going to cause a delay.  Until there is a way for the VE teams to submit electronically to the VECs its going to be this way and that will require the VECs no longer being required to keep the paperwork on file.  (In other words-- Part 97 would need to be changed.)

The ARRL-VEC and W5YI-VEC are the largest two and both are snowed under.   Last I checked it was taking the W5YI-VEC 3-4 weeks.  

Now my story of woe:  My 4 week wait for Extra was the shortest wait I've ever had.  My original Technician in '93 took 11 weeks, my General in 94 took 10 weeks and my Advanced ('94) took 17 weeks!   I tested in March and saw my license in August and it was a callsign change so it was that much more painful!   So add em' up: 11+10+17+4 = 42 weeks (10 weeks shy of a year) waiting for licenses!

We can use our our new licenses the moment we have a CSCE in hand!  I signed /AA for 17 weeks myself.  Sure its a pain but at least you can use new frequencies and bands.  

I'm sure we've all been snowed under at our own jobs and know what its like to be overworked (and probably underpaid.)  

The VEs and VECs are doing a great job!  Thanks guys and gals -- I know most of us hams appriciate the hard work.

KR4YL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2000, 11:15:37 AM »

Since the ARRL-VEC is the largest VEC, it gets the most applications and with 15,000 NCVEC Form 605's from the first day to process, no one should be suprised its taking awhile. The VEC's have the responsibility to make sure the data is entered correctly, and that there are no problems with an application before it is electronically sent to the FCC.

Anytime you take paper forms and have to enter them into a computer it is going to cause a delay. Until there is a way for the VE teams to submit electronically to the VECs its going to be this way and that will require the VECs no longer being required to keep the paperwork on file. (In other words-- Part 97 would need to be changed.)

The ARRL-VEC and W5YI-VEC are the largest two and both are snowed under. Last I checked it was taking the W5YI-VEC 3-4 weeks.

Now my story of woe: My 4 week wait for Extra was the shortest wait I've ever had. My original Technician in '93 took 11 weeks, my General in 94 took 10 weeks and my Advanced ('94) took 17 weeks! I tested in March and saw my license in August and it was a callsign change so it was that much more painful! So add em' up: 11+10+17+4 = 42 weeks (10 weeks shy of a year) waiting for licenses!

We can use our our new licenses the moment we have a CSCE in hand! I signed /AA for 17 weeks myself. Sure its a pain but at least you can use new frequencies and bands.

The VEs and VECs are doing a great job! Thanks guys and gals -- I know most of us hams appriciate the hard work.

KR4YL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2000, 11:17:21 AM »

Since the ARRL-VEC is the largest VEC, it gets the most applications and with 15,000 NCVEC Form 605's from the first day to process, no one should be suprised its taking awhile. The VEC's have the responsibility to make sure the data is entered correctly, and that there are no problems with an application before it is electronically sent to the FCC.

Anytime you take paper forms and have to enter them into a computer it is going to cause a delay. Until there is a way for the VE teams to submit electronically to the VECs its going to be this way and that will require the VECs no longer being required to keep the paperwork on file. (In other words-- Part 97 would need to be changed.)

The ARRL-VEC and W5YI-VEC are the largest two and both are snowed under. Last I checked it was taking the W5YI-VEC 3-4 weeks.

Now my story of woe: My 4 week wait for Extra was the shortest wait I've ever had. My original Technician in '93 took 11 weeks, my General in 94 took 10 weeks and my Advanced ('94) took 17 weeks! I tested in March and saw my license in August and it was a callsign change so it was that much more painful! So add em' up: 11+10+17+4 = 42 weeks (10 weeks shy of a year) waiting for licenses!

We can use our our new licenses the moment we have a CSCE in hand! I signed /AA for 17 weeks myself. Sure its a pain but at least you can use new frequencies and bands.

The VEs and VECs are doing a great job! Thanks guys and gals -- I know most of us hams appriciate the hard work.

KB7NAM

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2000, 05:43:33 PM »

I took my general written prior to the 15th, on the 16th I had the paperwork processed for the upgrade to General.  30th of May - nothing yet.

I checked on another ham's call at the same session and he already received his upgrade two weeks ago (May 16th).  I called the ARRL today and they said that was impossible cause they were still working on upgrades received at the HQ on 4/15.  I checked the backlog file on the arrl web site to see when my sessions paper work was received and they indicate that they didn't receive the test session paper work till 5/1.  Well past the 10 day cycle.  I'm getting tired of /ag.

Its funny, when I originally took my Novice, I passed two weeks before a friend of mine.  He ended up getting his call a month before I did.  So I guess 6 weeks and nothing is better than the 12 it took last time!!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: