Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna "Analyzers"??  (Read 1689 times)
KD5MAW

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2000, 11:49:22 AM »

I need some instruments for setting up antennas and have been told by a ham friend that the MFJ 259B is great for that purpose. A couple other guys say the frequency counter "isn't worth the powder to blow it to h#ll with". Maybe I should just buy some good quality individual instruments. Any thoughts on this?

gadget
kd5maw
KF2TZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2000, 10:29:08 PM »

Hello. A freind of mine has one and says it works great. BUT!!! It is a FACT that mfj analog meters are not worth a scorched wooden nickel... The frequency counter should be good on the 259. DO NOT EVER!!! Buy a MFJ product with the analog meter. You would get better results using no meter at all. I would try the 259 analyzer, I build alot of antennas. Give it a try! 73! Greg.
N6QTH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2000, 12:35:47 AM »

There is a review posted at:  http://www.w3.org/People/Swick/NVARC/Signal/804/  which might interest you.
N6QTH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2000, 12:57:16 AM »

Of course, you'll also want to look at the comments in the eham.net file at:  http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13

73s
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2000, 03:10:28 PM »

Thanks for the links N6QTH - very useful information. This instrument does not appear to be exactly flawless but, for the bucks involved, looks like a winner. Think I'll buy one. 73
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2000, 10:38:51 PM »

I have the older MFJ259 analyzer and it works well - but, make sure you have GOOD batteries in it if you plan to use it above 30 mhz. Mine would not get to 148 mhz due to the battery voltage was found to be below 8 volts, yet, the lower HF area worked ok. MFJ did not incorporate a low battery detect function in the unit.
I would love to get the 259B if I could sell my older 259.

I bought a Diawa cross needle VHF/UHF meter and it really works very well - a good buy!

BEWARE, of Autek. I purshased the RF5 and found it to be real junk and did not work properly. After repeated telephone calls to their front company - I NEVER got a return call or any info from Autek. I had to use my credit card company's collection service to obtain my return funds. Credit card will help you if you ask before 60 days from purchase date! I'll never buy from Autek again!
73, Kuby, N6JSX/9

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2000, 04:58:49 PM »

It doesn't matter if the frequency display is analog, or digital, or nonexistent -- it has no particular guaranteed accuracy, anyway, and doesn't need to have any.  All you need to do, presuming you have a rig that can operate the frequency intended for use with your antenna, is turn on your receiver (tuned to the frequency of interest), connect the MFJ to the antenna to be tested, and tune its frequency dial until your receiver hears its signal.  Your receiver dial is guaranteed to be more accurate than the MFJ -- who cares?  You don't tune antennas to within 1 kHz...you tune them for "the band," and that's usually +/- quite a lot.  Thus, the comments relating to accuracy are ridiculous.  The real, sometimes serious, drawback to the MFJ line of antenna analyzers is they cannot be used in strong RF fields, period.  They employ a very low-powered tunable oscillator and a very sensitive detector capable of detecting that very low-powered signal; as such, they have a built-in "receiver" of sorts, that is quite easily interfered with.  I have found that the MFJ indicators just run off scale in the presence of strong signals from nearby broadcast transmitters, aircraft beacons, ham stations transmitting nearby (not necessarily on the same band as the MFJ is tuned to), etc.  This makes their use nearly impossible at, say, a multiop contest station where several transmitters are running while you're trying to measure/adjust an antenna with the MFJ...
K1BRF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2001, 06:27:38 PM »

I have used the AEA CIA-HF and really liked it.  It is a little more expensive but it does everything you could possibly want, is easy to use and offers strong graphical and digital displays making it sinple to use.

Nothing like seeing the SWR graph versus frequency to give you the absolute answer.  Check it out in the product reviews.  I swear by it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: