Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is used gear so expensive  (Read 1260 times)
KG6FGX

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2001, 05:19:46 PM »

I've just recently became a Ham and have been looking for a used vhf/uhf mobile rig.  I was quite surprised by the asking prices for used equipment.  Often times the asking price is very close to the new prices listed on HRO/AES ect.  I'd would rather pay the new price and get the protection the warranty offers.  It seems with other electronic equipment, it loses half its value once you walk out of the store with it.

Are sellers actually getting their asking price or are the asking prices unrealistic.  I think I'll lowball a couple of radios I've been looking at.  If there is no takers, I'll buy new.

Any comments?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2001, 11:04:19 AM »

I don't know where you're looking, but I haven't found the "overpriced used rig" syndrome at all, unless the used rig is something very unusual with a great reputation and no longer made -- which is a rarity.

A peek at the "Classifieds" here and on QRZ.com, plus e-bay, indicates some pretty reasonably priced used rigs in all categories.  And of course it is perfectly acceptable to make a lower offer, no harm in that at all.  Occasionally, someone posts a "firm" price, but that's pretty rare.

I see you live in Fresno, which does have one major hamfest each year (coming up soon, I think), you might check that out, too.  Or, if you don't mind a rather long drive (the round-trip can be done in one day, it's just a lot of windshield time), you might consider coming down to the TRW Swap Meet in Redondo Beach (few miles south of LAX airport, just west of the 405 freeway), which is held on the last Saturday of every month, 12 months a year, regardless of the weather.  There, I see lots and lots of used VHF rigs selling for prices that are about one-half their original sticker prices, which seems about right.  And of course, at the Swap Meet, you get to look at, hold, touch, and sometimes use the gear before you buy it.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2001, 01:44:45 PM »

You must observe patience when in the used market.....I have not paid over $250.00 for any used gear but then again, I didn't put the whole station together in a week either.  Some of my finds include a Kenwood TS-820 w/ vfo-820, 12v option, and ALL filters for $100.00, a Collins 74a4 receiver and a Johnson Viking transmitter for a CB microphone.

Don't give up, the fun is in the chase.  Always haggle (and don't let them see you smile when you walk away Smiley )  Most of all, do your homework.  Know what you are looking at, what it is capable of, and ask to see it demonstated if you can (A watt meter and dummyload come in handy here!).  I have found that MOST hams are respectable and are willing to deal.

Good luck and 73/72 .-.-.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2001, 08:55:14 PM »

Yes, patience is a major factor.  Anytime you want something NOW, it'll cost you.  Browse the various online classifieds on eHAM.net, QTH.com and, gasp, QRZ.com.  Look at recent, past sale prices.  You'll see wide variations in prices for the same item.

Also, avoid eBay unless you understand "the rules".  Almost anything of worth gets sniped at the end of the auction - the price runs up in the final minutes.  Don't get caught up in the hype.

73 Mike N2MG
K1BRF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2001, 06:30:17 PM »

To be a little more optimistic, good used equipment is out there. One place to look is right here on e-ham; then you can go to the Amateur Trader, QRZ, the reflectors and certain dealers like kji electronics. All depends on how long you are willing to shop but there have been some great bargains out there for first rate HF rigs at material discounts to new rig pricing.  Now, if you are searching for something that just came out, then you might have a problem.  My advice is to keep looking and let us know what you are after -- what specific model. And ask lots of questions:
1. What is the serial number?
2. What options are installed (know what they are)
3. Does it have all the cables? (know what they are)
4. The original bill of sale and instruction set?
5. Ever sent out for repair or to factory?
6. Any modifications made?
Well, you get the idea. Questions don't cost anything unless you don't ask them.  Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: