Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Station Woes  (Read 949 times)
N1HWQ

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2001, 10:43:36 AM »

I bought one of those "Power Stations" (12V sealed lead-acid battery @7AH) several years ago and have
left it "plugged in" since then, thinking that the automatic charging circuit would keep the unit charged and ready to go whenever I need it. Well, I "needed" it the other day, and discovered that the battery, though reporting 12V on the meter, seems to have "dead spots". What I mean by dead spots is that I'll be talking on my HT (which is being powered by the PS), and suddenly the volt meter drops to well below 12V for some period of time, and then after a while goes back up to 12V. This cycle repeats itself over and over again. Does anyone know of a way to bring this thing back to life? I've tried draining it and recharging it, but that didn't seem to work.

Thanks,
Chris, N1HWQ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2001, 11:06:28 AM »

I'd replace the gel cell battery inside.  "Several years" is a long time for these.  My own "Power Station," probably the same model you have with switches, cigar lighter socket, meter and red lamp to show when it's "on" on the front panel, and two stud terminals under a removable plastic hatch panel on the rear panel, ran out of gas about two years ago and I had no other option but to replace the battery.  The normal "shelf life" of a gel cell is somewhat short of "several years," I think.

The good news is, the battery's easy to replace and very easily found.  In fact, my local retail electronic distributor, Fry's Electronics, had them on the shelf, inexpensively.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
N1HWQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2001, 01:00:59 PM »

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a new battery
from batteries.com (for $16.99 - not a bad deal!).
Just out of curiosity, did you have any problems
getting to the battery?

Thanks,
Chris, N1HWQ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2001, 06:59:03 PM »

No problems at all.  I don't have it here in front of me (I'm at the office), but as I recall the case is held together with screws, and the battery is about the only thing inside the case when you open it -- pretty easy job.

73, Steve WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: