Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie looking for two-way radio suggestions  (Read 684 times)
DUBBEER

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2001, 02:44:38 PM »

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a two-way radio to be used for backcountry skiing.  This will be used to communicate with other skiers who may be over several miles away in mountain terrain.  In addition, we would like to be able to use these radios to call for help or reach other persons in emergencies.  Additional features such as GPS and emergency channels would be great.  Suggestions or places to read or look for more info would be appreciated.

Thanks
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2001, 11:47:24 AM »

Unfortunately, the individual, non-licensed services and handheld transceivers do not provide the kind of coverage you're looking for; it would likely take subscribing to a commercial 2-way repeater service to cover several miles in mountainous terrain.

Of course, if you and your friend got your ham licenses (even the no-code-required Technician Class license, which requires only a paper exam and costs just a few dollars for a ten-year license), you'd be able to use higher-powered handheld transceivers that would likely cover the range desired.  Or if not, you could use no-cost amateur 2-way repeaters to extend your range.  

I'm a downhill/Alpine skier without a lot of experience in backwoods x-country, so for me, it's a different situation.  I take a ham 2 meter handie-talkie with me up to Mammoth Mountain (el. 11,203') and from the summit, I can chit chat with other hams out to 100 miles or so -- until I feel like I'm freezing to death and have to put the unit back inside by suit, zip up, put the gloves back on and start heading downhill!

Good luck!

Steve, WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: