Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of aviation style headphones  (Read 884 times)
KA4LSU

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2001, 06:02:47 AM »

Has anyone successfully used aviation style headphones (e.g. David Clark, etc.) for amateur radio?

I'm getting old and my hearing isn't what it used to be so it seems to me they would be ideal due to their exterior noise reduction capabilities (not to mention the boom mike).  Or is the freq response, impedance, etc. 'wrong' for amateur radio use?

Anyone like, have a success story with a particular brand/model?

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2001, 08:53:34 AM »

Sorry for the late reply...

I have never used them personally, but I've heard of several hams who have used the CLark type...they are expensive and rather heavy, but I think they'd fill the bill.

I have tried (but don't own) two pairs of commercial headphones (Bose, Sony make them - search on ALtavista or Google).  No mic, but they are great for CW.  I may buy a pair and mount a Heil boom mic to one...

73 Mike N2MG
WD8CRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2001, 07:09:04 PM »

I am a pilot and own several pairs of DC headsets.
This is something I am wanting to do as well for comfort reasons and for contesting.
Icom mic's are 600 ohm... DC mics are 150 ohm.

Now that the WX is cold, I'll start to play with this idea. I am not sure how the Imp difference might effect the audio. I wish to make the addition of the DC's as streamlined as possible and not get into any sort of mod's to the headsets, since I use them for flying as well.

They are great for CW listening.
The DC headsets are NOT cheap... they run between 250 and 400 bucks. Some of the cheaper versions are just as good and half the price. Look on www.landings.com for places to purchase them.

Drop me an e mail and I can keep you posted on any progress on this.

wd8crt@arrl.net
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2002, 11:01:02 AM »

I looked at (is it Dick or Dave?) Clark headphones for ham use.  They are expensive and designed for use in aviation for high noise areas.  (Since they are heavy, wouldn't they get uncomfortable after a while?) I use Kenwood communication headphones (HS-5). They have a good frequency response, 150-4000 Hz which cuts down on high frequency sound.  They come with standard cloth pads on the earphones and include vinyl-leather ones you can attach to lessen surrounding noise.  Nice thing is they are 4 to 8 ohm which is a good match for most contempory HF rigs.  The problem is there is no boom mic attachment.  They run about $120.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: