Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Returning Ham  (Read 530 times)
RETURNING

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2001, 07:07:59 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I am a former ham, WA9SVS from the late 60s. I got my general ticket in 1967, joined the Army in 1969 and kind of let it lapse. I have flirted with getting back into it. I am wondering if someone could take some time and give me some ideas on equipment and antennas. When I had my license I lived on a farm in S. Illinois so dipoles and beams were not a problem. The cows never minded.

However, now I live in a city. I am looking for an low profile antenna, probably a vertical. I would also like to operate the 10, 20 and 40 meter bands (they were my favorites a long time ago), assuming I can pass the test. Also I intend to operate QRP.

Thanks
WD8CRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2001, 06:56:53 PM »

Hello... well, I kept my ticket active, but was inactive on HF for 18 years.
I started getting back on FM last summer, and hearing the talk of HF had me looking for used gear.
I found an original ICOM 706 for sale and grabbed it. It offers QRP to 100 watt operation on HF and includes 2 meters.
I live on a small lot (40 X 90) and my first antenna was a 15 meter dipole at 8'!
I measured the lot and from the chimney to the tree in the front was 50' so I knew I was going to have to look at a trapped dipole hung as a vee. I had more space in the back of the lot. I settled on one from AES that is the shorty 80 meter version.  I added the AT-180 antenna tuner to it and can operate 80 to 10 (including WARC bands) with it.
10 Meters is wide open!  I have no problems working DX with this setup.
Best thing I can tell you is to measure the lot and see what wire antennas you can get up... someone else would have to suggest verticals, I haven't had one in years!

Come on back - you'll have a blast!
WD8CRT
RETURNING

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2001, 07:01:49 PM »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response. I definitely will get back into it. Just have to do the studying. I have started learning code again. Hard to believe I could copy at better than 13wpm once. Of course I was much younger Smiley.

Take care and good luck.
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 11:37:49 PM »

Welcome back to the hobby!

I did kind of the same thing and let my ticket lapse (just Novice, though) back in the seventies.  Got re-interested a couple of years ago and went from Tech to Extra, loving every step and challenge.

Concerning antennas, verticals have improved a lot and still have a lot of advantages when space or CCRs are a problem.  Check out reviews of GAP and Force here on eHam.  Of course, the basic dipole is always a good option if you can get it high enough.  

Hottest basic radio currently seems to be ICOM 718 but there a lots of good used buys for recent, more sophisticated rigs in the classifieds, too.

73's

N1OU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: