Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ge master ht (HI-POWER) --- conversion to ham freq  (Read 544 times)
KA3RVF

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2000, 08:45:23 PM »

I recently purchased 3 ht's which looked like public
service frequency radios.the subject line has what is on the outside of them and they have 8 channel switch ,also a round receptacle in center of bottom
which looks like where a twist lock type power feed would attach.there are no internal batteries.inside has what looks like a plug for programming.My question is,does anyone know if these radios can be converted to 2 meters or 440? and does anyone have any schematics for these or any ideas how to convert them if possible at all.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Thank You.
KB5CQF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2001, 11:13:51 AM »

Tom,

Yes, those radios can be converted to use on the ham bands, though it may not be cost effective for you to do so.  I came across a box of two or three dozen about 8 years ago at a hamfest and bought the lot for $10.00.  (Much to the dismay of my XYL!!)  I think I put together about 10 that were fully functional by stripping parts from others (though not on ham freq's).  I had some idea of getting crystals made for a couple of local repeaters frequencies, but never got around to it.  The radios are very well built and fun to tinker with. I have the complete service manuals.  If you are interested, let me know and we'll figure out a way to get you a copy.

KB5CQF
Ted
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2002, 08:52:24 AM »

For what you will invest in crystals, etc., in the older rigs, unless you get the rocks free or dirt cheap at a hamfest, you would be much better off to look for a more modern, synthesized, software programmable portable and having a commercial radio shop program it for you.  

I have a pair of GE M-PD, 46 channel radios, one each VHF and UHF, which I use for RACES and they are very rugged and easy to use.  www.qsl.net/k4mbe has information on converting these.  These were a very common municipal radio in the mid 1980s and can be had fairly reasonably for around $50 at hamfests.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: