Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who says ECHOLINK is not ham radio?  (Read 1301 times)
KG4LMU

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2002, 12:56:58 AM »

I had a great evening tonight making contacts on 6m via ECHOLINK out of knoxsville,Tn. Although I do not own a 6m rig I was able to access there repeater and make some cool contacts which I wouldnt have been able to do other wise. Say what you may I had a blast,everybody has been saying how 6m was rolling and I got to found out myself.AWESOME!
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 12:51:39 AM »

If you liked that , try iLINK. It is a blast as well. The contacts don't qualify for QSL cards normally but you can't beat it for clarity and just plain fun. Look here: www.aacnet.net  It is great too.
Frank
KL7IPV
AC7ST

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 03:33:22 PM »

In my humble opinion, Echolink leaves a whole lot to be desired. One of our local hams added it to our repeater. He uses it several times a day, often at "drive time" he rarely if ever makes a contact on it and it activates in the middle of other hams QSOs.    He may have recieved permission to do this, but as it is a club owned repeater, I dont recall voting on it. If it were up to me, echolink would be banned. Thanks for reading, 73, Bruce
K9DRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 02:30:58 AM »

IMHO, I don't really call it Ham radio at all.  It's no different than a Yahoo chat room with voice chat or even e-mail for that matter.  I thought the whole point of ham radio was to use your antenna, not a land line?Huh

DOESNT_MATTER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2002, 07:54:11 PM »

I don't really think it's a great idea. I think it should be used for emergancies only.
W4KSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 03:18:23 PM »

The legalities of both iLink, and ECHOLINK need to be addressed. ANYONE can download, and install this software on their computer. Given that, you can have bootleg operations quite easily. To answer the topic question, I do not consider it ham radio at all. No different than any of the chatrooms on the internet. Also, there's that feeling of the challenge to bust through a pileup to get that one country you need, and the rush of adrenaline, when that station comes back with YOUR call!!!!
KG4LMU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2002, 10:10:59 PM »

Huh?HUh
N9FAL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2002, 08:59:58 AM »

I do.
Why do you need the ham radio?
How about just using a cell phone? Its a radio of sort.
Get my drift??
In my area, most of the users are either new hams, or have little or no exposure to HF.(for various reasons) They rave about it and are easily impressed.
How many experienced HF'ers use it? I bet very few. It's a novelty.
But if it makes you happy, Great!!

On the other hand, perhaps we need it to help keep our bands busy in this declining hobby of ours.

We need to keep the facination of HF going.
Study. Get your upgrade. Interact with mother nature on HF. This is where "IT IS" in Ham Radio.
Anybody can make a telephone call.
KG4LMU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 10:14:26 PM »

First and foremost to say that echolink is not ham radio in general,well the basic fact is that it is. Your are broadcasting in most cases via a echolink station which is usually connected to an ht of somesort or you are linked to a repeater therefore as a liscensed ham radio operator you are responsible for the said station and all transmission that derive from that station. Furthermore you are not only responsable but in most cases held accountable for all transmission's from your station. Do to the fact that your callsign,time of arrival and time of exit to any station for that matter that you are linked to keeps a record of this. The last point I would like to make is that those of you that have commented about echolink but have never actually used it have little or no idea the real problems with the system and trust me there a very REAL problems. Also I would like to point out that the growth of Echolink over tha ham radio spectrum has exploded over the last few weeks alone due to solid activism concerning echolink and ham radio in general. One point I would like to make is this. I personally have had several ham's that until echolink were in fact inactive to ham radio. This system has opened a door to hams of the past and future to enter our community which is good thing. Know compare this to the 2m/70cm Rag chewing about ones tomato plants or the weather and tell me how many new calls you have noticed or even acknowledged for that matter. To the point the echolink system has filled a niche in the ham community that otherwise would be empty! The new hams of this decade are of a computer age as with past hams of transistors or tubes generations. I think its only fitting we acknowledge this as an alternate means of broadcasting and as long as we(hams) do not become dependant upon the system everything will turn out fine. I do not expect this to happen as everything that is made easy hams of the tube generation will find some way to ruin the experiance for the upcoming new hams. Just look at the 10/11m Fiasco and how long its been going on or the nocode Vs. Code Dispute everyone and there brother knows the code is old and obselete. Does that change the fact that the hams that grew up in the tube era think any less of it? One day when were old and grey will we have to choose between echolink and sum new fandango system regardless. What will we do in the hams of tube generation's position? Hopefully we wont drag our feet and be disgruntled about the whole thing but embrass the new technology and the wishes of the up and coming hams so the reigns are just a little bit easier to take control of when the time comes. My point is this I read awhile ago that over 60% of the voters in the United States are in fact senior citizen's how many of those over 65 people are actually responsable enough to make a desicion about the Future of me and my children although I do vote does it count when considering the statistics. I feel the same apply's to the ham radio,A.r.r.l and The F.c.c for that matter.
CURMUDGEON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 02:52:37 AM »

Its imitation ham radio for imitation hams.
KB3GUN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 02:25:23 PM »

EchoLink is ham radio. To those who say anyone can download it and operate it without a license: Anyone can buy a radio and operate it without a license. Right?? Just go to the call sign database and pick a call... I always use a radio on EchoLink.

I think it's great the my uncle can get on the air and talk to me from his retirement home (he can't use an HT there..but he can use his PC). He's been a ham all his life and he was basically out of amateur radio. EchoLink gave him a 2nd chance. He can regchew with all his old friends just like he used to when I was a kid.

I run an EchoLink node (KB3GUN-L Node 23115). It's operated on a simplex frequency and anyone that wants to access it is able to. When I'm up in Pittsburg on business, I can get on a local node and connect to my station in Somerset and talk to my buds. What is the problem with that? Maybe it would be better to link repeaters and connect that way? Even if I was able to, that ties up every repeater in use and I won't do that.

It seems that anything new in amateur radio is bad. Let's get rid of our solid state and go back to tubes. If you want a radio, you should have to build it. No more phone, everyone should have to use CW.

Everyone has an opinion. If you tried EchoLink, I'll bet many of you would enjoy it. When the miners were trapped a couple of weeks ago, I had stations from around the world connecting to my station to offer thier best wishes. That is why I like EchoLink and that's why I'm an Amateur Radio operator. To each their own. (..crawling down from soapbox..)

73!
Bill - KB3GUN
EchoLink Node 23115
Somerset, PA
http://www.swronline.com
DY1VCO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2002, 10:41:47 AM »

Echolink and ILink for me is NOT Ham Radio.  Look hams..it is plain and simple Voice over Internet Protocol or VoIP.  I agree with K9DRX that it is no different from Yahoo's Voicechat and Microsoft's Net Meeting.  You may not subscribe to my opinion but that will remain my own opinion and I am entitled to that.

Go on and if it makes you happy, why not just link the 40 meter band and other HF bands and forget about bad propagation.....just joking :=) 73!!!
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2002, 01:20:45 AM »

I don't think of iLINK or Echolink as ham radio. But it does allow hams that are either unable to put up antennas, unable to use a radio in their current location or just want to talk to other hams even when propagation is gone to do so. It is just another facet of our hobby using a different method of communicating with others of the same interest. NO it isn't the ham radio we grew up with, but in this day and age, it does extend our radio horizons. Is that so bad? I don't think so.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: