Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling CQ the right way?  (Read 2375 times)
N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2003, 02:49:39 AM »

This is straight out of the "ARRL OPERATING MANUAL."

PAGE 3-8  ..."IT'S NOT GOOD REPEATER ETIQUETTE TO CALL CQ. EFFICIENT COMMUNICATION IS THE GOAL. YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO ATTRACT THE ATTENTION OF SOMEONE WHO IS CASUALLY TUNING HIS RECEIVER ACROSS THE BAND."

PAGE 3-7  ...TRANSMIT YOUR CALL SIGN. FOR EXAMPLE, "THIS IS NU0X MONITORING." THIS ADVISES OTHERS ON FREQUENCY THAT YOU ARE AVAILABLE TO TALK...

DO AS YOU WISH. BE DIFFERENT. BE UNIQUE. WHATEVER. JUST DON'T STEER A NEWBIE THAT WAY.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2003, 12:31:24 PM »

Well, when repeaters first started to show up it was common practice to call CQ on them. It was short and sweet such as a 1x1 "CQ this is AA4PB". For some unknown reason this got changed to "AA4PB listening" or "QRZ this is AA4PB". Every time I hear it I wonder who the station is listening for or who is calling him. CQ makes a whole lot more sense to me. The bottom line though is that you can't fight it. Some consider CQ to be in poor taste and probably some have no idea what CQ even means so "AA4PB listening" will probably yield better results overall.

The other issue is that I think you are using a simplex frequency. Around here there is not much simplex activity. Where there is its usually two stations who contact each other on a regular basis and may not be interested in another QSO. You might try waiting until a QSO has just ended and then give one of them a call.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: