Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is my obligation?  (Read 1101 times)
KC5PCS

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2003, 01:27:48 PM »

I have an neighbor who operates CB. (This is not to trash CB operators.)  The problem is that he is operating illegally at about 1 KW.  When he keys his mike I can hear him on my computer speakers, my son's guitar amp and on the portable phone.  I know I should report him to the FCC, but am I obligated to, due to my own FCC issued license?

I just wish he would not be so proud of his illegal activities.

Boliver
KC5PCS
KE4IZA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 07:09:08 PM »

I do not know if you are legally obligated to report his activities to the FCC since he is not a HAM however running a CB on 11 meters at 1kw is in violation of FCC rules and is illegal.  You do not have to put up with his radio putting RFI into your home.  Chances are good that his activities are sending RFI into other neighbors electronics.  At very minimum he needs to be advised that his actions are illegal, although since you claim he is proud of his illegal activites he probably knows, however he may not be aware his illegal radio station is not a laughing matter and the FCC can come down very hard on him with very hefy fines and other sanctions.  Again you do not have to accept this annoyance and he will sooner or later get nailed.  Someone will put and end to it.  The only questions is will it be you?

Jim
KE4IZA
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 12:23:38 AM »

BEFORE you make that report, be SURE you have no problems yourself. Are you sure that the units that he is getting into are not the problem? Get someone with a CB running the legal output and use in in about the same proximity as the "offender". If you hear the same trouble you are experiencing from the "offender", the problem isn't him; it is YOU. If it turns out that the units do not experience the same trouble, then get a tape recorder and tape the offending CBer coming thru your equipment and send the tape to the FCC. If you can find and hear the offender on the CB band thru a regular CB, record that at the same time. They will follow up as time and manpower permits. Under no circumstances should you condone the action. It may be he is actually doing the "Freeband" thing and interfering with more than just your equipment. It may be that he has a monster compressor for his mike and he is splattering over everything. You could take a chance and first approach him and see what happens if you tell him he is getting into your stuff. But I would not let it go without some action taken.
Frank
KL7IPV
KC5PCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 09:36:07 AM »

I do know that it is my neighbor and that he is operating at about 1KW.  I was (and still am to some degree) thinking about giving him a taste of his own medicine.  I am working on upgrading to general.  Then I could operate at my LEGAL limits an see if what happens to his radio and other electronics.  I know that is not nice, BUUUTTTT....

If I do decide to report him, any ideas how I go about this?

KC5PCS
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 05:53:09 PM »

Definitely don't retaliate! Your KW will only cause more interference to the uninvolved neighbors. I know that it is very tempting to bend his S-meter, I've been there myself, but resist the temptation.

The sad, ugly truth is that unless you are prepared to move quickly, infuriating a neighbor is a poor strategy, particularly if they live close by. These things can get extremely nasty in a hurry. So, be VERY careful.

See if your local radio club has a committee to handle RFI matters. They may be willing to get involved on your behalf, and the more reliable witneses you have, the better.

I was going to suggest enlisting the help of other neighbors, but that is pretty risky.  You call attention to yourself and will probably find them on your doorstep in the future if they are having trouble watching cable channel 18. But, as opposed to taking on the outlaw single handedly, an alliance with a truly friendly neighbor could help a lot.

You don't mention the relative ages of the players here. If the ChannelMaster is underage, talk to his parents (or have an adult talk to them).

Above all, avoid the appearance of conspiring against the guy, 'going behind his back', and avoid surprises.
Yes, what he is doing is highly illegal but it is not worth having a war over, and depending on the mentality of the miscreant, he might like a good war now and then. I would not be sneaky. If you aren't comfortable reporting him openly, I would be very reluctant to do it secretly. Whatever you do, don't go near his property. A nail in the coax might fix the problem but if you are caught you are in big trouble.

KC8VCB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2003, 10:33:11 PM »

i am new to ham radio (got callsign in early november 2002). i think you should turn him in.? he is illegally transmitting.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2003, 08:17:55 AM »

Remember, if you do report this person to the proper authorities, you still live near them.  If this person has the kind of attitude that your post intimated, be prepared for possible reprisals.

Dennis - KG4RUL
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 11:09:45 AM »

I would direct a complaint, with a lot of details, including the neighbor's name and address, to Riley Hollingsworth at the FCC, and ask him not to name me as a complainant.

A complainant can remain anonymous, easily.

If the fellow is running a kW on CB and interfering with you, he's likely interfering with others, and drawing attention to himself with the "big signal," so the complaint could come from anywhere.

The FCC rarely gets involved in policing CB activities, but when you make a very specific complaint, you have done all their work for them.  They only need to verify your complaint, and enforce existing law.  They'll do it.

WB2WIK/6
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2003, 05:00:03 PM »

Your Amateur license doesn't specifically OBLIGATE you to report him, from a legal standpoint, but for your sake and the sake of your neighbors, he should be reported.  (Then again, is there a legal requirement to report any illegal activity observed?)  He's operating illegally and causing interference.  That should be reason enough.  (But be SURE you have provable evidence he's running power in excess of that allowed on CB, whether it be 10 W, 100 W or a KW, or whatever is in excess of current CB limits.  If he's within legal limits, then it's the receiving units that bear the responsibility of eliminating the interference, just as in the Amateur Service.)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2003, 05:08:38 PM »

I'm not sure Riley is the correct person to contact, as he's specifically in charge of AMATEUR enforcement.  But he'd probably give you a hint as to how to progress.

It's my understanding the FCC has specifically turned the matter of illegal CB operations primarily over to local authorities.  I'd get some information from other neighbors and then file a complaint with your local Police Dept.  If a number of neighbors complain, there's a better chance of something being done.  The FCC probably only gets involved when local authorities have no effect.
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2003, 06:37:03 AM »

As a Federally licensed operator it is your
obligation to document the evidence and to
report it to the FCC. This fellow is giving
HAMS a bad name and you are helping him by
not reporting this violation. Your neighbors
think that you are the cause of the problem,
even if they tell you otherwise they put both
you and the CB'er in the same catagory.
Do some observing and if you have a field
strength meter, record some readings but for
God's sake REPORT this fool.
73 - Tim WA4PTZ
WR8Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 10:33:48 PM »

As is so often the case, I agree with WB2WIK's post.

I would only add one request ... keep us posted on the results.

WR8Y
Mark
ANULLRETENTIVE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2003, 05:27:57 PM »

How close is your property line to his antenna? I would operate your cb into a light bulb dummy load with "lossy" coax every time he's on the air. It will only radiate a "little bit" and your neighbour won't be able to work what he can't hear. Heck, I would even dead key it (24/7) and configure a mechanical/electronic way to step through all 40 channels.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2003, 10:03:11 PM »

Bad idea, IMHO.  Deliberate interference is illegal regardless of service, and I seem to remember a time on/time off restriction for CB; continuous operation is not allowed.  Do not stoop to the level of an ILLEGAL CB operator by resorting to illegal practices.  If identified, that could STILL jeopardize your Amateur Radio License.  The FCC seems to take harsher action against Amateurs that break the rules than totally unlicensed operators!  (Maybe because we are supposed to know, and ACT better?)
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2003, 10:45:02 AM »

As a general rule, Class D CB'ers are
scumbags with no respect for law and
order.   Turn him in!

If you're in a state that has passed enablin' legislation
to take advantage of the new Federal Law to
allow locals to enforce CB regulations, it
may be as easy as seein' the magistrate and
gettin' a warrant.

73 de Ronnie