Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping a Log Book  (Read 421 times)
KB6NU

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2002, 11:53:23 AM »

Although FCC regulations do not require that we keep a logbook, I stilll think that it is a good idea to do so and would like to write an article on keeping a log. In particular, I'd love to hear stories about how your logbook helped you resolve a conflict or helped you improve your station or just brought back some great memories.

I would also like to hear about some of your logging techniques. What kinds of notes do you make in your logbook? If you use a computer, how do you back up the information? Etc, etc., etc.

Thanks for your help!

Dan KB6NU
KE3GK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 03:25:07 PM »

Well for one thing ... I kept a paper log for years, then I switched over to the computer.  For me, I enjoy looking back thru my paper logs.  There is something lacking in the computer logs ... not sure what it is, and even if there is a real difference, but there is something nostalgic about paper logs.

I don't log every contact, for instance, friends that I chat with frequently thru the month.  I log all new contacts though.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 05:19:33 PM »

I log all my HF contacts including regular nets.  I do not log repeater contacts and I do not log the 2 meter simplex net that I regularly participate in.  Other VHF/UHF work is logged.

Basically I keep a paper logbook as I like looking through it and remembering some of my interesting contacts.  However, these days I also enter the same information in a computer log.  This way I can do fast lookups (have I worked this station before, etc?) and sorts on the information.  For contesting (what little I do), I use a computer log then print out the results and staple it in my paper logbook.

KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 04:36:22 PM »

I've always logged HF contacts on paper, but not mobile/VHF/UHF contacts.  I do log changes in equipment and antennas of any kind at my home.  

Lately I've begun contesting and use computer logging for that.  I haven't figured out if I want to keep hard copy of all those contacts .. I might write the contest logs to a couple of well-labeled CDs and put one of them in a pocket stapled in the back of the paper logbook.  the other I'll file someplace safe.  Maybe someday one of my descendants will be interested enough to check it out.
73s de kt8k - Tim
K5ENA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 02:33:35 PM »

I have kept a paper log for all my hf contacts since 1960.  My wife has a computer but it is in another room and I do not have room for a computer at my operating desk.  I sometimes envy those who have a computer at their desk and can quickly look up a previous QSO of the station they are presently in contact with.  But there is something about entering a contact in a paper log.  I'll probably not change.
73, John, K5ENA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: